LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 305 users in the forums

NY Jets HC-Robert Saleh

Shop 49ers game tickets
What? No Tartt and Ward love?

Originally posted by NCommand:
What? No Tartt and Ward love?

tartt and ward are tier 1 safeties, those guys are tier 2 and below.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Run defense was definitely the defense's bug a boo last year. Hopefully, Kinlaw and AA can improve the numbers.
Well well well
https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/138854-lists-49ers-robert-saleh-among-nfls-defensive-play-callers/
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Aug 19, 2020 at 10:15 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Yeah. The niners have kind of created what many teams strive for. The ability to create pressure by only rushing four then dropping seven into coverage. When you can do that, your always going to give an offense problems.

The pats operate often with a different mindset than most of the league. They love versatility but they really want backend players that can win in man coverage so they can creatively manufacture their pass rush.

Personally I think they had to go backend because they cant get to the top 7 picks where the elite edge rushers are available to draft. They are almost always drafting in the high twenties and low thirties.

I think ShanaLynch can continue to draft or acquire top edge rusher talent (unlike Bellicheat) because of Kyle and his ability to spot all pro offensive talent at the part time stock clerk employment board at his local K-Mart shop.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
this GOTS to THE YEAR Saleh plays with his defense like we've never seen before... he's gotta be aggressive and super physical w/an F !!!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Run defense was definitely the defense's bug a boo last year. Hopefully, Kinlaw and AA can improve the numbers.

personally I think the weak run defense is baked into the scheme. The Wide 9 is just bad at stopping the run. How I think they deal with stopping the run is their own ball control run game (#2 last year). After all if the 49ers are running the ball well, chances are that the opposing teams RB is on the bench. In other words, I think the run defense numbers might not really improve but that doesn't mean we still won't in the top 5 defenses this year.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
this GOTS to THE YEAR Saleh plays with his defense like we've never seen before... he's gotta be aggressive and super physical w/an F !!!

Hopefully they do more zone blitzing to deal with the two jitterbug midgets in our division.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by mayo49:

personally I think the weak run defense is baked into the scheme. The Wide 9 is just bad at stopping the run. How I think they deal with stopping the run is their own ball control run game (#2 last year). After all if the 49ers are running the ball well, chances are that the opposing teams RB is on the bench. In other words, I think the run defense numbers might not really improve but that doesn't mean we still won't in the top 5 defenses this year.

I thought this also, but I recently read an article that had a former DC that was trying to dispel this notion. He said he ran the wide 9 and had the guys in the middle that still stopped the run. This defense at the end of the year had the best run stopping unit in the NFL at a league best 60 something yards a game average and only allowed one running back all year to go over 100 yards. Sorry, I wish I could remember where I saw this so I could find out who the DC was and for which team and the exact numbers and everything. Maybe that team was an outlier and it's wishful thinking that we could get a lot better at stopping the run without any drop-off passrushing in the wide 9. I do think with Kinlaw, AA, and a healthy DJ Jones we should atleast be slightly better this year.
  • thl408
Originally posted by 49ersFanCJinPA:
I thought this also, but I recently read an article that had a former DC that was trying to dispel this notion. He said he ran the wide 9 and had the guys in the middle that still stopped the run. This defense at the end of the year had the best run stopping unit in the NFL at a league best 60 something yards a game average and only allowed one running back all year to go over 100 yards. Sorry, I wish I could remember where I saw this so I could find out who the DC was and for which team and the exact numbers and everything. Maybe that team was an outlier and it's wishful thinking that we could get a lot better at stopping the run without any drop-off passrushing in the wide 9. I do think with Kinlaw, AA, and a healthy DJ Jones we should atleast be slightly better this year.
pay site. Jim Washburn is the innovator of the wide9.

https://theathletic.com/874819/2019/03/19/like-a-freight-train-running-down-the-track-the-aggressive-mentality-of-the-wide-9-and-how-the-49ers-might-use-it/
In 2014, Kocurek was the defensive line coach in Detroit while Washburn served as assistant defensive line coach. The Lions finished No. 2 in the league in total defense and No. 3 in points allowed. When anyone criticizes the Wide 9 for being weak against the run, Washburn bristles and points out that the Lions finished first in the NFL in that category in 2014 — opponents averaged just 69.3 yards a game on the ground — and that no runner surpassed 100 yards until Green Bay's Eddie Lacy finished with 100 yards even in that year's season finale.

"The commentators say, 'Oh, it's just a pass-rush defense,'" Washburn says. "Well, excuse me. We knocked the crud out of the run in Detroit. They couldn't run the ball against us and we knocked down the quarterback more than anyone in the league."

Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by 49ersFanCJinPA:
pay site. Jim Washburn is the innovator of the wide9.

https://theathletic.com/874819/2019/03/19/like-a-freight-train-running-down-the-track-the-aggressive-mentality-of-the-wide-9-and-how-the-49ers-might-use-it/
In 2014, Kocurek was the defensive line coach in Detroit while Washburn served as assistant defensive line coach. The Lions finished No. 2 in the league in total defense and No. 3 in points allowed. When anyone criticizes the Wide 9 for being weak against the run, Washburn bristles and points out that the Lions finished first in the NFL in that category in 2014 — opponents averaged just 69.3 yards a game on the ground — and that no runner surpassed 100 yards until Green Bay's Eddie Lacy finished with 100 yards even in that year's season finale.

"The commentators say, 'Oh, it's just a pass-rush defense,'" Washburn says. "Well, excuse me. We knocked the crud out of the run in Detroit. They couldn't run the ball against us and we knocked down the quarterback more than anyone in the league."

Thats the one, sorry Dline coach not DC, thanks thl408, you rock!
[ Edited by 49ersFanCJinPA on Aug 19, 2020 at 1:24 PM ]
  • thl408
Last offseason there was so much more discussion about changes to the 49ers defensive scheme. The safeties were talking about how their positions were interchangeable, and we were talking about how the wide9 would affect the DL and LBs. This offseason hasn't had much chatter regarding scheme changes/tweaks. Kind of boring on this front imo. "If it ain't broke...."?
Last offseason there was so much more discussion about changes to the 49ers defensive scheme. The safeties were talking about how their positions were interchangeable, and we were talking about how the wide9 would affect the DL and LBs. This offseason hasn't had much chatter regarding scheme changes/tweaks. Kind of boring on this front imo. "If it ain't broke...."?

Remember what Ward said. Probably not going to talk much with no preseason games, let the opponents figure it out.
Originally posted by walker807:

Remember what Ward said. Probably not going to talk much with no preseason games, let the opponents figure it out.

Let's hope for some new S and DB wrinkles. More man too.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Hopefully they do more zone blitzing to deal with the two jitterbug midgets in our division.
[ Edited by WestCoastForever on Aug 25, 2020 at 6:26 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone