LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 276 users in the forums

NY Jets HC-Robert Saleh

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by BriRichardson:
My only knock on Saleh is you got to know when to stop blitzing that's how KC trucked our ass in the 4th

That and soft zone to try and disallow the big play while eating the clock. The problem is that defense actually allows the big play, gets the QB in rhythm and the cushions allow the receivers to make easy catches AND get out of bounds. And this was evident before the Superbowl too...a bad trend. 21 points in just over 5 minutes is proof.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 4, 2020 at 6:32 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
My only knock on Saleh is you got to know when to stop blitzing that's how KC trucked our ass in the 4th

That and soft zone to try and disallow the big play while eating the clock. The problem is that defense actually allows the big play, gets the QB in rhythm and the cushions allow the receivers to make easy catches AND get out of bounds. And this was evident before the Superbowl too...a bad trend. 21 points in just over 5 minutes is proof.

I hated it, we stopped putting pressure on him, so frustrating to watch.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

I hated it, we stopped putting pressure on him, so frustrating to watch.

Especially when you know what's coming as a result of it too. I called game pretty early TBH. Heartbreaking.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 4, 2020 at 10:43 AM ]

Agreed. I blame Saleh more than any one player because he got greedy. Discretion is the better part of valor
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I was more talking about scheme and positioning. Often times we're in nickel or dime which means a LB is coming off the field. Which one between Alexander and Greenlaw? Who starts at WILL and SAM in base? It's a great problem to have but is Alexander too expensive to sit even if Greenlaw is the better player?

As Greenlaw gets better each year it makes Alexander more expendable IMHO. Youth and health. It's a raw deal but that's the NFL. Warner's not coming off the field anytime soon. He has All-Pro chops IMHO.

Exactly. And with the new restructure for Kwon, he's also here for the long haul now. So again, I go back to my original question...what do we do with Kwon and Greenlaw? Haha.

FWIW, I rewatched the Bucs game yesterday and Saleh was in base a ton...with the interchangeable S lined up next to them. In short, it looked like 4 LB's lined up. And this was against a QB that loves to throw and throw a lot of the intermediate and deep areas. Could Saleh be looking to play his base personnel as his primary defense b/c his LB's are fast enough to keep up with TE's and WR's?

If so, I just answered my own question. They all play...and are on the field together...a lot!

If your LB's can play as well as S's in coverage, that's a huge advantage and helps your pass rush out so much. They don't have to space eat as much against 3 WR sets because if you're in base, you have an advantage in the run game. This allows DE's to play pass more aggressively.

Been true for about 50 years. Someone mention it to salami.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Defense is now set, everyone should know their "JOBS" inside out.. it's time for SALEH to get more aggressive this year ... and I'm not talking about aggressive early in the game, i do mean BUDDY RYAN style of 80% of the game.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I was more talking about scheme and positioning. Often times we're in nickel or dime which means a LB is coming off the field. Which one between Alexander and Greenlaw? Who starts at WILL and SAM in base? It's a great problem to have but is Alexander too expensive to sit even if Greenlaw is the better player?

As Greenlaw gets better each year it makes Alexander more expendable IMHO. Youth and health. It's a raw deal but that's the NFL. Warner's not coming off the field anytime soon. He has All-Pro chops IMHO.

Exactly. And with the new restructure for Kwon, he's also here for the long haul now. So again, I go back to my original question...what do we do with Kwon and Greenlaw? Haha.

FWIW, I rewatched the Bucs game yesterday and Saleh was in base a ton...with the interchangeable S lined up next to them. In short, it looked like 4 LB's lined up. And this was against a QB that loves to throw and throw a lot of the intermediate and deep areas. Could Saleh be looking to play his base personnel as his primary defense b/c his LB's are fast enough to keep up with TE's and WR's?

If so, I just answered my own question. They all play...and are on the field together...a lot!

If your LB's can play as well as S's in coverage, that's a huge advantage and helps your pass rush out so much. They don't have to space eat as much against 3 WR sets because if you're in base, you have an advantage in the run game. This allows DE's to play pass more aggressively.

100%. I really think that Bucs game was demonstration of what Saleh had hoped for for the whole year...before injuries wrecked that. That should also give fans confidence in T.Moore and interchanging with Tartt in case Ward moves on.
This year Saleh will have his chance to be considered one of the better DCs if he can replicate last years performance. He will have another chance to draft/sign players who fit whatever scheme he will run next year.
Originally posted by reddog:
This year Saleh will have his chance to be considered one of the better DCs if he can replicate last years performance. He will have another chance to draft/sign players who fit whatever scheme he will run next year.

So, you reckon he'll be HCing next year?
I reckon it's a possibility.

Buckner at 3T was a damn machine for us, racking up 3,549 snaps in 4 years. It's remarkable he didn't get injured seriously given the abuse players take inside.

Those 800+ snaps are now going to have to be shared among this pool of players currently on the roster:

2i: D.J. Jones; Kentavius Street & Kevin Givens
3T: Solomon Thomas; Jullian Taylor, Willie Henry Jr. & Ray Smith

Keep in mind too that Armstead will still slide inside and with the players listed below, perhaps we see Bosa inside a bit more too:

LDE/W9: Arik Armstead; Dee Ford, Anthony Zettel & Alex Barrett
RDE/W9: Nick Bosa; Jonathan Kongbo

It's definitely going to be a run-personnel and passrush-personnel rotation committee now.

More personnel to be added soon too.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 17, 2020 at 7:45 AM ]
A day later I am still stunned at Buck being gone. Arik did get restructured, which is great... but I still cannot imagine this DL without Buck. I guess the idea that our LBs can cover WRs as well as TEs is the reasoning, but CBs and Ss have to be improved talentwise...because without Buck we just aren't getting the push we did when he was there. He was THE franchise of the D. No matter how I play it out, JL must be expecting some exceptional play ,meaning tons of improvement from amongst our 9 DTs and 7 DEs. $$ were a legit concern here...I get that. But to trade your franchise D player? It is gonna take some time to wrap my head around that one. #13 isn't a top 5 pick, obviously, but with two #1s, it does give the 9ers a shot at virtually whoever they want.

Do I think we will package a deal of both 1st rd picks for a top 2 pick? Nope. We can now fill in spaces between pick #31 and #151. Admittedly, it would have been hard to watch the draft with no picks between #31 and #151. There is a lot of talent in that range. I could see that #31 pick becoming some 2nd, 3rd, maybe incl 4th rd picks.

As for top DL or Front 7 in NFL...with Buck gone, that is over. If DBs can improve in talent (FA, draft, another trade), then maybe we come out even-up. But no Buck? That one is still hard to take and it is now 24 hrs later. Glad I wasn't part of this decision making. I guess also JL and Kyle must be counting on Dee to take double the snaps this yr that he did last...which was nowhere near enough.( and KS/KL know Dee's knee and hammy status and we don't). If that is in the cards, ok, then I am warming up to it. At #13 if we could get a premier corner ,or #1WR(would require some trade, IMO), then ok, I am getting it. Throw in a McG type OT talent, altho more in the OG/C mold...and you have one of our 3 choices for our pick at #13.

But I would love to have a private sit down with F.O and hear their reasoning. We know that will never happen because these guys both play their cards so close to their chest. No Buck? It is impossible to imagine it. $$ had to be a big part of this deal, PLUS the lack of picks between #31 and #151...and our GM/HC know the status of Dee...and we don't.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
A day later I am still stunned at Buck being gone. Arik did get restructured, which is great... but I still cannot imagine this DL without Buck. I guess the idea that our LBs can cover WRs as well as TEs is the reasoning, but CBs and Ss have to be improved talentwise...because without Buck we just aren't getting the push we did when he was there. He was THE franchise of the D. No matter how I play it out, JL must be expecting some exceptional play ,meaning tons of improvement from amongst our 9 DTs and 7 DEs. $$ were a legit concern here...I get that. But to trade your franchise D player? It is gonna take some time to wrap my head around that one. #13 isn't a top 5 pick, obviously, but with two #1s, it does give the 9ers a shot at virtually whoever they want.

Do I think we will package a deal of both 1st rd picks for a top 2 pick? Nope. We can now fill in spaces between pick #31 and #151. Admittedly, it would have been hard to watch the draft with no picks between #31 and #151. There is a lot of talent in that range. I could see that #31 pick becoming some 2nd, 3rd, maybe incl 4th rd picks.

As for top DL or Front 7 in NFL...with Buck gone, that is over. If DBs can improve in talent (FA, draft, another trade), then maybe we come out even-up. But no Buck? That one is still hard to take and it is now 24 hrs later. Glad I wasn't part of this decision making. I guess also JL and Kyle must be counting on Dee to take double the snaps this yr that he did last...which was nowhere near enough.( and KS/KL know Dee's knee and hammy status and we don't). If that is in the cards, ok, then I am warming up to it. At #13 if we could get a premier corner ,or #1WR(would require some trade, IMO), then ok, I am getting it. Throw in a McG type OT talent, altho more in the OG/C mold...and you have one of our 3 choices for our pick at #13.

But I would love to have a private sit down with F.O and hear their reasoning. We know that will never happen because these guys both play their cards so close to their chest. No Buck? It is impossible to imagine it. $$ had to be a big part of this deal, PLUS the lack of picks between #31 and #151...and our GM/HC know the status of Dee...and we don't.
Incomprehensible.
Losing Buckner will hurt but with the scheme the D line be fine with doing rotations. With what Saleh has to play with he can continue the wide 9 and funnel everything to the middle with elite edges.
Duh.

Share 49ersWebzone