There are 180 users in the forums

NY Jets HC-Robert Saleh

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I still don't understand the national media love for Saleh. Without Bosa, Saleh has usually been out-coached by the opponent's OC.

Nonsense, the team is 6th in total defense without Bosa.

Obviously not when it counts. We have some top LBs that can handle tough coverage matchups. Not sure why Saleh can't manufacture pressure.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
This. You're not a coach when you need two elite corners, an elite nickel back, and two hall of fame edge rushers to have a good defense. There's no scheming. He just relies on talent.

He has never had 1 elite corner, let alone two elite corners. And he has never had 1 HoF edge rusher, let alone two.

Why is Saleh's D without his top two edge rushers and with a myriad of injuries in the secondary ranked top 10 in yards allowed and top 15 in points allowed. Meanwhile Pete Carroll's D is ranked near the bottom of the league in both categories and Vic Fangio is like 20th in points allowed and 15th in yards allowed.
Originally posted by evil:
This. You're not a coach when you need two elite corners, an elite nickel back, and two hall of fame edge rushers to have a good defense. There's no scheming. He just relies on talent.

He has never had 1 elite corner, let alone two elite corners. And he has never had 1 HoF edge rusher, let alone two.

Why is Saleh's D without his top two edge rushers and with a myriad of injuries in the secondary ranked top 10 in yards allowed and top 15 in points allowed. Meanwhile Pete Carroll's D is ranked near the bottom of the league in both categories and Vic Fangio is like 20th in points allowed and 15th in yards allowed.

I wouldn't focus on yards allowed. Carroll's D is ranked high in sacks. They stuff the run and focus on manufacturing pressure when the opponent realizes the run isn't working.

We can't ever manufacture pressure to save our lives. We shouldn't have lost to MIA. We only lost that game because Saleh chose the wrong personnel.
[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 9, 2020 at 8:40 AM ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
We simply don't have the players to contend with a real top flight offense. Don't have the corners and don't have the pass rushers

Exactly. It's that simple really.

I wouldn't focus on yards allowed. Carroll's D is ranked high in sacks. They stuff the run and focus on manufacturing pressure when the opponent realizes the run isn't working.

We can't ever manufacture pressure to save our lives. We shouldn't have lost to MIA. We only lost that game because Saleh chose the wrong personnel.

So only focus on statistics that back your opinion.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Read my post again. It's not just yards allowed but points allowed. They may have sacked the QB more, but they also have had to generate more offense cause they can't keep other teams out of the end zone.

You want to talk about sacks? Why do the Pats have 3 fewer sacks than us? The Chiefs have one fewer than us and the Bears with the best edge in the NFL have only 2 more than us.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by lamontb:
We simply don't have the players to contend with a real top flight offense. Don't have the corners and don't have the pass rushers

Exactly. It's that simple really.

Yeah. Defense has always been talent dependent. Even Belichick normally has a good amount of talent on defense that fit his scheme.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
So only focus on statistics that back your opinion.

#StopTheSteal

Read my post again. It's not just yards allowed but points allowed. They may have sacked the QB more, but they also have had to generate more offense cause they can't keep other teams out of the end zone.

You want to talk about sacks? Why do the Pats have 3 fewer sacks than us? The Chiefs have one fewer than us and the Bears with the best edge in the NFL have only 2 more than us.

Their DC's suck too. I connect that to their atrocious offenses. It's the Alex Smith paradox. To what extent does smart, not good, but smart QB play support the defense?
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
I still don't understand the national media love for Saleh. Without Bosa, Saleh has usually been out-coached by the opponent's OC.

Nonsense, the team is 6th in total defense without Bosa.

Obviously not when it counts. We have some top LBs that can handle tough coverage matchups. Not sure why Saleh can't manufacture pressure.

Because his two pass rushing DEs are on IR.

What? He didn't have a single elite corner or nickel last year.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Their DC's suck too. I connect that to their atrocious offenses. It's the Alex Smith paradox. To what extent does smart, not good, but smart QB play support the defense?

But you don't afford the 9ers the same? Why is it you can justify excuses for other teams but those same justifications don't apply to your own team?

You do know it is OK to admit you were and are wrong about Saleh?

But you don't afford the 9ers the same? Why is it you can justify excuses for other teams but those same justifications don't apply to your own team?

You do know it is OK to admit you were and are wrong about Saleh?

Because Kyle is supposed to be multiple levels above those OC's. I have higher expectations from Kyle.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Because Kyle is supposed to be multiple levels above those OC's. I have higher expectations from Kyle.

Belichick and Carroll supposed to be multiple levels above Saleh...

... yet Bill can't get his defense to generate more sacks than we have.

...and Pete can't stop teams from moving the ball against his D or keep them out of the end zone less than ours. And Pete has no Alex Smith paradox.

Why is it so hard to admit you were wrong about Saleh and he is better than you have given him credit for?

Belichick and Carroll supposed to be multiple levels above Saleh...

... yet Bill can't get his defense to generate more sacks than we have.

...and Pete can't stop teams from moving the ball against his D or keep them out of the end zone less than ours. And Pete has no Alex Smith paradox.

Why is it so hard to admit you were wrong about Saleh and he is better than you have given him credit for?

I just don't think he is better. We pretty much have a 1st round D-Line and very good LBs. To think he can't manufacture pressure and play a smarter coverage is worrisome. Verrett is supposed to be very good and I think we can call Sherman a very solid CB. Most of the league doesn't have a top edge rusher.

When we did blitz, we played soft coverage. Just doesn't make sense. Also allowed Allen to scramble to his right in that first half when we were playing decent.
[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 9, 2020 at 11:43 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone