LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 158 users in the forums

NY Jets HC-Robert Saleh

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I was JUST thinking this. With all of the terrible defenses I'm seeing this season, I love what we have ....

Have a feeling that the same guy who saw enough in Saleh to believe that he could be a good be a good DC back when he was just a LB's coach has some other names still on his list and some of them could in-house such as Demeco Ryans.

Yeah, Kyle has clout and I'm sure he's been preparing for this. In fact, after getting raped that first time around on the offensive side, he's been building up his staff. He's much more prepared for it this time around.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Yeah, Kyle has clout and I'm sure he's been preparing for this. In fact, after getting raped that first time around on the offensive side, he's been building up his staff. He's much more prepared for it this time around.

When did that happen?

When did that happen?

Lol yeah I'm confused as well
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

When did that happen?

Lol yeah I'm confused as well

Think he's talking about Denver
Originally posted by 9ers4u:
Think he's talking about Denver

Because they lost a QB coach and went to the SB after he left? That makes no sense. Scangarello got canned after a year in Denver and the best he could do is was a random offensive assistant job in Philly where Carson Wentz has regressed to Pop Warner level.

Looking at his history, its pretty clear than Shanahan makes offensive assistants work rather than the other way around.
Oh NOW people want him to stay.

lol
He can go if he wants, He can stay if he wants. I just need to know. The sooner the better, so I know if I should root against him or for him.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

lol

I know lol. Very few were willing to keep him in years 1 and 2.
Defensive Coordinator Robert Saleh "He Go".....to Detroit (or Jacksonville)
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

lol

He has been my dude since year 1. He took a pile a s**t and improved it year after year turning it into a top d.

I remember getting berated for defending him, or really not so much defending, but just trying to be fair to him early on. I didn't absolve him of mistakes, but thought he caught way more flack than was deserved. Dude is a good DC. He's proven this year that it wasn't just all the talent -- he clearly has a lot to do with our D's success.

#6 Defense overall, #4 against the pass despite no Dee or Bosa and no Sherman basically all year.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I remember getting berated for defending him, or really not so much defending, but just trying to be fair to him early on. I didn't absolve him of mistakes, but thought he caught way more flack than was deserved. Dude is a good DC. He's proven this year that it wasn't just all the talent -- he clearly has a lot to do with our D's success.

#6 Defense overall, #4 against the pass despite no Dee or Bosa and no Sherman basically all year.

The opinions change from game to game depending on the outcome. Defense plays like it did against the Rams and he's great. If they have a bad game then he sucks. That's the way some people react.
Who we gonna replace him with?
Originally posted by AceDuce49:
Who we gonna replace him with?

Raheem Morris
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I think he's grown into a really good DC each year. Last year it was harder to tease out talent from his scheme adjustments where he had the M.O. of going conservative at the ends of halfs and games and it would cost us, struggled with in-game adjustments (Witner still complains of this), leaves players out to dry, has made some odd personnel choices, seems locked in on his big personnel even against mobile QB's, it was questioned whether it was even his idea to bring in Kocurek and Woods which instantly improved the defense immensely, 21 points given up in 5 minutes of the Superbowl, etc.

I think ALL of the criticisms were very fair at the time because like you said, he was developing as he went.

But this year, he's had some key personnel losses, his M.O. isn't as prevalent and he's stayed with morphing away from strictly C3 to a lot more interchangeable 2 S's and switched boundary and field side coverages.

In short, we're seeing more growth and development. Arrow up.

And he deserves whatever good comes to him because of his high character, ability to adapt to coaching and personnel changes and pressure from Kyle and extremely hard work ethic.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 3, 2020 at 8:49 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone