BLACK FRIDAY SALE: 30% off at the official 49ers online store with code 30YARDS →

There are 71 users in the forums

Defensive Coordinator Robert Saleh "He Stay"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by okdkid:
Besides the Brian Allen debacle...what's the issue with this guy? Honestly, what is there to complain about?

This dude just lost LITERALLY half his defense. More, actually. And by some metrics he's putting up a top 5 defense.

Do people hate success?

When I brought up Mike zimmer as a replacement for Saleh it wasn't a complaint, I actually think he's going to get a head coach offer which is why I'm looking for the next option. I've been happy with how saleh has performed this far especially when the guy who left our coaching staff went to Seattle and now has one of the worst defenses in the league lol
another stinker by saleh. Always rely on the defense looking confused when there is an option play. Oh, and make sure you keep all our midget corners 1v1 on metcalf.

braintrust.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
another stinker by saleh. Always rely on the defense looking confused when there is an option play. Oh, and make sure you keep all our midget corners 1v1 on metcalf.

braintrust.

Are you saying he should have played Ahkello on DK cause he's big?

Braintrust.
We came into this game ranked 5th in defence with half our starters out and stopped Seattle twice before our offence botched it. The score was 27-7 with 14 points off turnovers.

Saleh ain't perfect, but he's not the biggest problem at the moment.
Pathetic, guy has no imagination
You really can't blame Saleh as the defence is missing so many of its key starters. Sorry. He's clearly a good coordinator.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
You really can't blame Saleh as the defence is missing so many of its key starters. Sorry. He's clearly a good coordinator.

but is he great is the real question.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
You really can't blame Saleh as the defence is missing so many of its key starters. Sorry. He's clearly a good coordinator.

A good coordinator can coach up his team to get run stops which we have not done all season. A good coordinator will dial up coverages which take away the hot hand. We gave up 37 points today and people think we had a good game on defense because we stopped seattle on the opening drive? Come on.
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
A good coordinator can coach up his team to get run stops which we have not done all season. A good coordinator will dial up coverages which take away the hot hand. We gave up 37 points today and people think we had a good game on defense because we stopped seattle on the opening drive? Come on.

Huh?

Defense produced two three and outs and three punts out of five drives in the first half.

The score was 7-13 at the half with Niners getting the ball. Against one of the hottest offenses in the league.

Then the third quarter happened, when our first three possessions were three and out, Pettis fumble on kickoff, and another three and out.
Game was over at that point. This defense ravaged by injuries can't be on the field for so long against probably the best passing offense in the league, with no help/rest from offense
Our " great" first half was on track to give up 28 points this game. Your saying that's a good job? We cant stop the run and we can't get pressure. We didnt turn 7 points into 3 points. The pettis fumble added an extra touchdown, so yea 35-ish instead of 28. Its what we look like when our offense doesn't hog the time of possession.

I can't blame Saleh at all because of the 2 bad turnovers yesterday, all the injuries on D, and hell I hate to say it, but Wilson and Metcalf are elite. And the D got off to a good start with some good blitz calls and schemes (though after it seemed the Seahawks adjusted and we didn't, they went more horizontal, built in some jet motions and bootlegs, etc)

All the said, I would've loved to see Saleh mix it up just a bit more... we could've tried:

- doubling Metcalf, especially when it was clear Moseley needed help. I get we typically play Cover 3/4/6, but we could've looked to be a bit more creative

- Verrett shadowing Metcalf. Forget the whole boundary and field corner thing. It's not as if E-Man has never played field corner. Verrett with his footwork and savvy I'd feel better about staying tight on Metcalf's hip making things contested. Metcalf did catch the deep comeback on Verrett, but I didn't see a ton more damage when they were matched up. Lockett is lethal as well of course, but that's a better matchup for Moseley

- Cover 2. haven't seen the All 22 and I think I saw Cover 2 on that deep bomb to Lockett that Harris covered (hard to tell), but I don't think I saw us play a lot of Cover 2. More quarters. 2 would've let Moseley be more aggressive jamming Metcalf and on those slants/comebacks, then with help over the top on the go routes. Or Cover 6 with 2 to the Metcalf side...

I get there are tradeoffs as that offense has plenty of other weapons (Lockett, Russ scrambling, etc). But would've been good to change things up, instead of seeing an athletic freak dominate us over and over again
Originally posted by Patoranking:
I can't blame Saleh at all because of the 2 bad turnovers yesterday, all the injuries on D, and hell I hate to say it, but Wilson and Metcalf are elite. And the D got off to a good start with some good blitz calls and schemes (though after it seemed the Seahawks adjusted and we didn't, they went more horizontal, built in some jet motions and bootlegs, etc)

All the said, I would've loved to see Saleh mix it up just a bit more... we could've tried:

- doubling Metcalf, especially when it was clear Moseley needed help. I get we typically play Cover 3/4/6, but we could've looked to be a bit more creative

- Verrett shadowing Metcalf. Forget the whole boundary and field corner thing. It's not as if E-Man has never played field corner. Verrett with his footwork and savvy I'd feel better about staying tight on Metcalf's hip making things contested. Metcalf did catch the deep comeback on Verrett, but I didn't see a ton more damage when they were matched up. Lockett is lethal as well of course, but that's a better matchup for Moseley

- Cover 2. haven't seen the All 22 and I think I saw Cover 2 on that deep bomb to Lockett that Harris covered (hard to tell), but I don't think I saw us play a lot of Cover 2. More quarters. 2 would've let Moseley be more aggressive jamming Metcalf and on those slants/comebacks, then with help over the top on the go routes. Or Cover 6 with 2 to the Metcalf side...

I get there are tradeoffs as that offense has plenty of other weapons (Lockett, Russ scrambling, etc). But would've been good to change things up, instead of seeing an athletic freak dominate us over and over again

Samething in the 1st game vs the Cards. Hopkins was eating Moseley alive and no adjustment was ever made. they just kept letting him kill Moseley.
What do you guys expect him to do? The offense is absolute s**t.

I give Saleh a hard time a lot, but I was actually somewhat impressed with the way the defense came out in the first half. Then as the game progressed, they just gave up because they know this O ain't doing jack s**t.

Saleh probably deserves coach of the year, not Kyle
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 21,719
Originally posted by Patoranking:
I can't blame Saleh at all because of the 2 bad turnovers yesterday, all the injuries on D, and hell I hate to say it, but Wilson and Metcalf are elite. And the D got off to a good start with some good blitz calls and schemes (though after it seemed the Seahawks adjusted and we didn't, they went more horizontal, built in some jet motions and bootlegs, etc)

All the said, I would've loved to see Saleh mix it up just a bit more... we could've tried:

- doubling Metcalf, especially when it was clear Moseley needed help. I get we typically play Cover 3/4/6, but we could've looked to be a bit more creative

- Verrett shadowing Metcalf. Forget the whole boundary and field corner thing. It's not as if E-Man has never played field corner. Verrett with his footwork and savvy I'd feel better about staying tight on Metcalf's hip making things contested. Metcalf did catch the deep comeback on Verrett, but I didn't see a ton more damage when they were matched up. Lockett is lethal as well of course, but that's a better matchup for Moseley

- Cover 2. haven't seen the All 22 and I think I saw Cover 2 on that deep bomb to Lockett that Harris covered (hard to tell), but I don't think I saw us play a lot of Cover 2. More quarters. 2 would've let Moseley be more aggressive jamming Metcalf and on those slants/comebacks, then with help over the top on the go routes. Or Cover 6 with 2 to the Metcalf side...

I get there are tradeoffs as that offense has plenty of other weapons (Lockett, Russ scrambling, etc). But would've been good to change things up, instead of seeing an athletic freak dominate us over and over again

Good thoughts. It was clear Moseley was overmatched and I would have liked to see Verrett matched up vs Metcalf. Saleh has never had a CB shadow a WR but yesterday would have been a good time. However, whatever he was doing in the 1st half was good, and I was impressed how they played overall. The offense did little to help and eventually the defense just couldn't keep up.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Patoranking:
I can't blame Saleh at all because of the 2 bad turnovers yesterday, all the injuries on D, and hell I hate to say it, but Wilson and Metcalf are elite. And the D got off to a good start with some good blitz calls and schemes (though after it seemed the Seahawks adjusted and we didn't, they went more horizontal, built in some jet motions and bootlegs, etc)

All the said, I would've loved to see Saleh mix it up just a bit more... we could've tried:

- doubling Metcalf, especially when it was clear Moseley needed help. I get we typically play Cover 3/4/6, but we could've looked to be a bit more creative

- Verrett shadowing Metcalf. Forget the whole boundary and field corner thing. It's not as if E-Man has never played field corner. Verrett with his footwork and savvy I'd feel better about staying tight on Metcalf's hip making things contested. Metcalf did catch the deep comeback on Verrett, but I didn't see a ton more damage when they were matched up. Lockett is lethal as well of course, but that's a better matchup for Moseley

- Cover 2. haven't seen the All 22 and I think I saw Cover 2 on that deep bomb to Lockett that Harris covered (hard to tell), but I don't think I saw us play a lot of Cover 2. More quarters. 2 would've let Moseley be more aggressive jamming Metcalf and on those slants/comebacks, then with help over the top on the go routes. Or Cover 6 with 2 to the Metcalf side...

I get there are tradeoffs as that offense has plenty of other weapons (Lockett, Russ scrambling, etc). But would've been good to change things up, instead of seeing an athletic freak dominate us over and over again

Good thoughts. It was clear Moseley was overmatched and I would have liked to see Verrett matched up vs Metcalf. Saleh has never had a CB shadow a WR but yesterday would have been a good time. However, whatever he was doing in the 1st half was good, and I was impressed how they played overall. The offense did little to help and eventually the defense just couldn't keep up.

Agree. All NFL teams need is one dominant mismatch and it's game over. That was DK going T.O. 2.0 on anyone he wanted or targeting a horrendous player like Al Shaair for like 6 straight plays tuned to 3 Stooges music, but holding Seattle to 13 in the first half was a solid performance given the circumstances. They were doomed after that though. They just don't have the horses right now and I'm not sure anything Saleh could have done (personnel/philosophy changes) would have really mattered.

It's not like Saleh is preparing his defense in the week: "OK, if Al Shaair gets picked on, we'll pull him out and play more dime by bringing Moore in. Or if Moseley gets beaten up, we're going to stick the 5'2" Verrett on him and give him a ladder. Break!"
Share 49erswebzone