There are 206 users in the forums

NY Jets HC-Robert Saleh

Shop 49ers game tickets
After the Matt Patricia and Dan Quinn fiasco, I can see Detroit and Atlanta looking elsewhere. Whoever is the interim coach for Atlanta is doing a nice job actually.
Still believe Adam Gase will be dumped in Black Monday. The Texans also looking for a new HC. Robert Saleh could go to one of these two. But if they decide to give a chance to a random college dude, better for us. Keep Mr Clean.
Originally posted by richterkbelmont:
After the Matt Patricia and Dan Quinn fiasco, I can see Detroit and Atlanta looking elsewhere. Whoever is the interim coach for Atlanta is doing a nice job actually.
Still believe Adam Gase will be dumped in Black Monday. The Texans also looking for a new HC. Robert Saleh could go to one of these two. But if they decide to give a chance to a random college dude, better for us. Keep Mr Clean.

That's Raheem Morris...dude will be the DC if Saleh leaves and ATL doesn't make Morris the head coach IMO.

Saleh is from Michigan and grew up a Lions fan I believe. He makes a ton of sense there, unless they want a offensive minded HC.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Nov 30, 2020 at 12:24 PM ]

If Saleh goes, I hope whoever replaces him 1) retains guys like Kocurek and Demeco 2) understands the strengths and weaknesses of our roster ie don't turn penetrators into pluggers, zone defenders into man defenders, etc.
[ Edited by Heroism on Nov 30, 2020 at 12:59 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:

If Saleh goes, I hope whoever replaces him 1) retains guys like Kocurek and Demeco 2) understands the strengths and weaknesses of our roster ie don't turn penetrators into pluggers, zone defenders into man defenders, etc.

Probably makes sense to hire someone from in-house, like Demeco Ryans. That or some other young promising position coach rather than a retread who has already established THEIR way of doing things.

That's why Quinn might be a natural replacement. He was Saleh's boss in Seattle and the Niners wouldn't need to change their defense. That's unless you think they need to change their style of defense.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

That's why Quinn might be a natural replacement. He was Saleh's boss in Seattle and the Niners wouldn't need to change their defense. That's unless you think they need to change their style of defense.

and Kyle and him are close.

I think end of the day Kyle wants a certain type of scheme...this team is built a certain way and I don't see a DC changing that.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Remember when fans were trying to run this man out of town? Man we got some fickle fans.

I'll admit I was one of them. Even Whitner called him out early. The D has been solid despite the injuries at key positions. Yesterday other than Debo the O and Mullens was bad.

Saleh deserves an HC opportunity. Going to Mi is his home state. The team seems eternally bad, and not sure if anyone can improve that.

The 2 draft picks makes things easier. Win-win.
[ Edited by mitpdub on Nov 30, 2020 at 1:05 PM ]
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Originally posted by miked1978:
Remember when fans were trying to run this man out of town? Man we got some fickle fans.

Our D was absolutely horrible at points. Just like in the Jimmy Ward thread, people act like these opinions were unfounded.

I'll be the first to admit I wasn't a fan and wanted him gone. I'm glad he's been able to grow as a coach but let's calm down with acting like he's been amazing his entire tenure.

I've never really been a fan or a severe critic. Ultimately no matter what it's on the players.

Richard Sherman is a guy that I'll especially now always respect even with Seattle for his intelligence as a player as well. He had that quote that even when the defense was still bad in Sherm's first year here that Saleh was making good calls but guys on the field were screwing it all up.

The only thing that comes to mind for me is trying to find ways to generate pressure without the all world front four or without a consistently disruptive edge rusher-at least one.

But then even with that if you're going to blitz more you have to keep in mind are you exposing your secondary or other areas of the field that you're leaving open to hopefully get the quarterback.

So I'd imagine Saleh has received his share of unfair criticism on this board for years. Which again isn't to say he's one of the best in the league or anything. But like every coach he can only work with what he's got. Given what he hasn't had this year, he of course has done a really nice job.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I think end of the day Kyle wants a certain type of scheme...this team is built a certain way and I don't see a DC changing that.

I think the Kocurek isn't a guarantee to return under a new DC. Not every DC wants to run wide splits in base alignments, especially if it's a DC with a "stop the run first" mentality. In fact, the DCs that use 4-down DL in wide 9 alignments in base are few and far between.
[ Edited by Heroism on Nov 30, 2020 at 1:14 PM ]

• thl408
I'm surprised how quickly Saleh has gone from 1st time coordinator to HC candidate. Props to him.

I don't want anything to do with Dan Quinn. He rode the Legion of Boom to a HC job and has been unsuccessful building up ATL's defense. The current 49er defense is nothing like the SEA defense that Saleh came from. This defense has evolved so much from the 'SEA Cover3' that it was in 2017 (Saleh's first year as DC). Hiring Quinn would be a huge step back imo.
  • thl408
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I think the Kocurek isn't a guarantee to return under a new DC. Not every DC wants to run wide splits in base alignments, especially if it's a DC with a "stop the run first" mentality. In fact, the DCs that use 4-down DL in wide 9 alignments in base are few and far between.

Hopefully the Eagles continue down the toilet and get rid of Jim Schwartz. Although defense is the least of their problems. I'd love Schwartz as a candidate to replace Saleh.
Originally posted by thl408:
I'm surprised how quickly Saleh has gone from 1st time coordinator to HC candidate. Props to him.

I don't want anything to do with Dan Quinn. He rode the Legion of Boom to a HC job and has been unsuccessful building up ATL's defense. The current 49er defense is nothing like the SEA defense that Saleh came from. This defense has evolved so much from the 'SEA Cover3' that it was in 2017 (Saleh's first year as DC). Hiring Quinn would be a huge step back imo.

Quinn or Bradley. I want no part of either of them at this point. Gym Shorts might get canned and no doubt will get brought up because of his Kocurek connection. Pass on him too.
Hopefully the Eagles continue down the toilet and get rid of Jim Schwartz. Although defense is the least of their problems. I'd love Schwartz as a candidate to replace Saleh.

• thl408
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Quinn or Bradley. I won't no part of either of them at this point. Gym Shorts might get canned and no doubt will get brought up because of his Kocurek connection. Pass on him too.

Going back to what Heroism stated, that not many DCs use the wide 9 as their base alignment, Schwartz is one DC that would. If Koceruk is valued and we want to retain him, then hiring a DC that believes in the wide 9 would go a long way in keeping Koceruk on board with the 49ers.
Share 49ersWebzone