LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 251 users in the forums

Martin Mayhew-New GM-Washington Football Team

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by JaggedJ:
Originally posted by Rice-a-Ronnie:
I'm not an expert, but hearing various podcasts, beat writers, even the frequent posters here in the zone, it seems like our poor record can largely be attributed to lack of talent over scheme. Our drafts prior to Lynch/Peters coming on were deplorable, and for the most part their draft picks have been decent (save for sophomore slumps). What does bother me has been the pro player scouting:
1) We've overpaid for bad free agents (Malcolm Smith, Earl Mitchell, Jonathan Cooper, Attaochu);
2) Made some trades with very little in return (Shon Coleman for a 7th? Vance Mac Donald and a 5th Rd for a 4th Rd Pick?? Harold for conditional 7th?)
3) Not traded away players for additional trade picks before the deadline (Armstead? Garcon? Garnett?)
4) And been largely dormant on the waiver wire. I keep hearing how we don't have any depth, and yet we promote players like Exum, Powell and seem to never poach other practice squad players with our waiver wire position. Basically I can't find anyone this season that was not promoted from our practice squad: Moseley, Dayes, Mabin, Delaire, Toran.
Does anyone else think that Mayhew is not doing a good job? We tend to give credit to Peters for his drafts, but we don't really talk about Mayhew. I hope Lynch does the right thing this offseason and looks for more help on the pro player side of his job. Mayhew is asleep at the wheel. My guess is they make a change with him.

1) When you're starting from scratch you need to overpay. There's really not much else to it. Fortunately most of those contracts we're not stuck with long term and won't hinder us.

2) Harold and McDonald were likely getting cut. You take what you can get for them. Coleman looks like he's being developed. A 7th is no biggie.

3) Is this really a Mayhew thing? Besides, just because half the zone want to trade everyone away doesn't mean the team does. I find this point contradicts your previous one. If there was a good offer they would likely have taken it, but if they took a low offer (the only ones likely available) they'd be lumped in with point 2.

4) Depth is only a problem because our depth are the ones starting. We don't need more waiver wire guys who add little. What we need are legit starters to push guys like Marsh, Mitchell, Colbert, Spoon etc down into the backup slots where they are more than adequate to fill.

Your point kinda reminds me when Bill Walsh said something to the effect of, if you think you have two potential starters...odds are you have two backups.

It could not be any more apparent last year the team was decimated by injury, and the backup talent was fairly consistently below average minus a couple of good performances.

We watched a team of backups.... it is what it is.
Texans interviewing him for gm position
https://twitter.com/pschrags/status/1137790007060701184?s=21
He seemed borderline average as GM in Detroit. Good luck to him if he gets a 2nd chance in Houston.
not a big loss if we lose him
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Kinda feel the same.
Lol. Other teams poaching the 49ers coaching staff and front office.
[ Edited by pdizo916 on Jun 9, 2019 at 4:22 PM ]
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Lol. Other teams potching the 49ers coaching staff and front office.

Well, we almost won the superbowl last year so who can blame em.

Also...... when do you guys think the leaks start coming out with peters and martin going after lynch's job.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

I'd rather lose both Lynch N Mayhew than Peters at this point
Interesting...per Albert Beer

Washington is very pleased with the work of Ron Rivera, to the point where if the Football Team does hire a GM, and I think they probably will, I'm told that search would be led by Rivera. If it happens, I'd expect ex-Lions GM Martin Mayhew (who shares an agent with Rivera) to be in the running, as well as former Panthers personnel men Ryan Cowden (Tennessee's VP of player personnel) and Joe Schoen (Buffalo's assistant GM).

I know the minority 3rd rd compensation works for GMs as well as HC...I'm not sure if they were once a GM or HC they would still get compensation though?

Originally posted by NYniner85:

Washington is very pleased with the work of Ron Rivera, to the point where if the Football Team does hire a GM, and I think they probably will, I'm told that search would be led by Rivera. If it happens, I'd expect ex-Lions GM Martin Mayhew (who shares an agent with Rivera) to be in the running, as well as former Panthers personnel men Ryan Cowden (Tennessee's VP of player personnel) and Joe Schoen (Buffalo's assistant GM).

I know the minority 3rd rd compensation works for GMs as well as HC...I'm not sure if they were once a GM or HC they would still get compensation though?

Don't quote me, but I thought I read that the Panthers would have gotten a comp pick for Ron Rivera going to WAS if the rule had been in place, despite the fact they fired Rivera.
  • dj43
I would prefer to keep both Saleh and Mayhew, however, with so many contracts up, it would be nice to have four extra 3rd round picks, albeit at the end of the round.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Don't quote me, but I thought I read that the Panthers would have gotten a comp pick for Ron Rivera going to WAS if the rule had been in place, despite the fact they fired Rivera.

"Teams that lose a minority coach or executive to a head coach or general manager job with another team will receive a third-round compensatory pick for two consecutive years, per Pelissero. If a team loses a minority coach and an executive to HC and GM roles, that club will receive a third-round compensatory pick for three consecutive years.

According to the resolution, a team is eligible to receive draft pick compensation if the candidate in question has been "employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two years." There can be no break in employment between teams."

Basically if you fire a guy, you don't get a comp pick...so if I'm understanding all those here are the stipulations.

-You have to be a minority.
-You can't go from the same title to the same title in the same yr (ex: fired HC doesn't count).
-you must be with the organization for at least 2 seasons.

So I believe if Mayhew and Saleh got poached from us we would get 3 yrs worth of 3rd rd picks. I mean don't want to lose them, but at least we'd be getting something in return.
Originally posted by dj43:
I would prefer to keep both Saleh and Mayhew, however, with so many contracts up, it would be nice to have four extra 3rd round picks, albeit at the end of the round.

Agreed. Continuity is important, but that would be a sweet consolation prize.
Originally posted by BYisGod:
Originally posted by dj43:

Agreed. Continuity is important, but that would be a sweet consolation prize.

It would only be 3 picks but ya
Share 49ersWebzone