There are 214 users in the forums

Martin Mayhew-New GM-Washington Football Team

Shop 49ers game tickets
Is this the "football guy" front office position many of us were hoping for?

Lynch announced the 49ers have hired Martin Mayhew, 51, as a senior personnel executive.

Mayhew was the Lions general manager from 2008-15. He is also a former NFL cornerback who spent four seasons (1993-96) of his nine-year career with Lynch in Tampa Bay.

Lynch said he wanted to have someone in the front office that had served as a general manager. One of his key lieutenants, vice president of personnel Adam Peters, was the director of college scouting for the Broncos last year.

link
I'll take it. He was very hit and miss but he essentially had to clean up Matt Millen's 0-16 mess and the Lions eventually made the playoffs twice under his watch. Plus, it's not like he's our new GM.

I wonder if Lynch will make anymore hires. Still curious about Dominick and Hickey.
Originally posted by Butter:

I think Lynch is that guy.
Mayhew is that too, but it seems like his job is to advise on being a GM.

link

Not sure if I would say "football guy" more like "THE" "experienced guy" who has a great background as he was a long time player who has a business and law career on his resume as well as being an NFL GM for 8 years. Just a really good all/around hire. I almost view him as a team president and a Carmen Policy type
Originally posted by StubbyNBY:

link

Not sure if I would say "football guy" more like "THE" "experienced guy" who has a great background as he was a long time player who has a business and law career on his resume as well as being an NFL GM for 8 years. Just a really good all/around hire. I almost view him as a team president and a Carmen Policy type

I like the concept of this hire. I really like that they are building a solid support team around Lynch.
We have the scouting master in Peter's and an experienced guy in Mayhew. It's a great setup. This team is heading towards the right direction. From a front office pov, it's more exciting than the harbaugh era.
  • thl408
http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/04/16/detroit-lions-draft-history/25881215/

Full spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AwldQiDZ6-tLV-8VPSH4cr9ho0N3RzIVi4c3-v0AkV8/pubhtml

• Jcool
  • Veteran
Martin*

not mike
Say what you want about Mayhew as a General Manager, but this was a much needed hire. He's run a draft room before, he knows what the job entails, and has the experience to guide both Lynch and Peters in the right direction.

I'd also like to see us add Gary Kubiak as a consultant - would be a great mentor to Shanahan in conjunction with Papa Shanahan.

• thl408
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Martin*

not mike

Thread title edited. Thanks.
Solid hire.
Whether it was him or Dominik, the 49ers needed an experienced front office guy and they get exactly that with Mayhew. He's a former teammate of Lynch's as well so I'm sure that didn't hurt in the decision to hire him. His GM record is mixed but he has a plethora of experience that will allow Lynch to lean on him.

With Lynch, Mayhew, Peters and Gamble the front office has come together pretty nicely IMO. All these guys will have specific roles with Lynch acting as the overseer for everything that goes on.
Yea I like him over Dominik. Good gire
Originally posted by lamontb:
Yea I like him over Dominik. Good gire

This. Now we just need to hire Gire when he retires.
Share 49ersWebzone