LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 283 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

The group think is scary.... listen, KS has the potential to be decent, he could even be good on occasion, if everything breaks his way. He's no Sean McVay, but very few are.... KS struggles severely when it really matters, and nobody in their right mind can stomach six years of that.... I want him to be more than a poor mans Norv Turner, but he has to figure out the red zone.... I'll script the plays, if needed.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Follower:
The group think is scary.... listen, KS has the potential to be decent, he could even be good on occasion, if everything breaks his way. He's no Sean McVay, but very few are.... KS struggles severely when it really matters, and nobody in their right mind can stomach six years of that.... I want him to be more than a poor mans Norv Turner, but he has to figure out the red zone.... I'll script the plays, if needed.
Sean McVay inherited a loaded team that was ready to win (much like Harbaugh when he came to the 49ers). Shanahan inherited last week's garbage and had to endure a still incomplete rebuild. When Shanahan has something close to the talent level McVay has in LA, come on back and we can compare. In the meantime,

You've already said this stupid s**t several times on here Grant.....football savant? Blah, Blah Sean McVay.....Blah, Blah Norv Turner.....

I loved your writing on red zone TD efficency and kinda throwing s**t at Kyle for only being in the top 10 twice in his career. Did you know that your beat off McVay's never been in the top 10? That's piss poor writing Grant.....

Crayons or fingerpaint?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

No thank you. We've had enough 2-14 seasons. You are clueless, Norve plays more of a vertical concept offense vs Kyle's horizontal stretch plays. Norve as a HC has been terrible.
  • All22
  • Veteran

So if Kyle "struggles severely when it really matters" then what do you call McVay's playoff game or him getting destroyed by Zimmer last year.

I'm a fan of both McVay and KS so I've have been analyzing both offenses. McVay, may be a better overall coach (i.e. hiring Wade and giving him autonomy, setting a solid vision and culture based on John Wooden's principles etc.) but Kyle is definitely the superior offensive mind. Not only did Kyle have counters for nearly everything Zimmer threw at him but we almost beat the Rams with Hoyer under center and far less talent on both sides of the ball.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
Sean McVay inherited a loaded team that was ready to win (much like Harbaugh when he came to the 49ers). Shanahan inherited last week's garbage and had to endure a still incomplete rebuild. When Shanahan has something close to the talent level McVay has in LA, come on back and we can compare. In the meantime,

Yeah, Rams are definitely in win-now mode. John and Kyle are trying to build a dynasty. Big difference in how they're approaching everything.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Lombardi spoke for 8 hours on *one* play. I see similarities with Kyle. We really have a special coach here. Now lets get that edge rusher!
In 1962 Madden was coaching at a California Junior College. He walked into Lombardi's presentation and had a seat in the back.
"How stupid was that… Vince Lombardi was talking about the Power Sweep and I took a seat in the back row like in church"
Madden shared that Lombardi spoke for 8 hours… ON ONE PLAY, the Power Sweep…
"He talked for four hours… we took a lunch break, then came back and he spoke for four more hours. I walked out of that clinic and realized that I did not know a damn thing about football"
https://youcandomore.net/2014/02/11/a-football-life/

On that day, Shanahan selected one third-down play and picked it apart from every possible angle for the next 45 minutes. He showed each player what to do against man coverage, then Cover 3, then Cover 4, then Cover 2. The group watched the play approximately 100 times, with Shanahan offering tips to each tight end on what his stance should look like, how his release off the line should look and how to attack the defender if he's playing under, over or outside the tight end in each of those coverages. He also broke down how to attack the defender if he's flat-footed or if he opens his hips.
"I've definitely had some great coaches in the past, but I've never seen somebody break down one little play the way that Kyle does," receiver Trent Taylor said. "It's pretty special."
http://www.espn.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/32359/lil-wayne-and-a-scheme-kyle-shanahan-resets-the-49ers-culture
When each play involves 11 guys, I can understand it can go for hours if he goes position by position.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
When each play involves 11 guys, I can understand it can go for hours if he goes position by position.

Well, HaRoman, Fartsula, and ChimpKelly would have gotten that philm review done in probably a minute or two.

Originally posted by Giedi:

Well, HaRoman, Fartsula, and ChimpKelly would have gotten that philm review done in probably a minute or two.

I didn't see you mentioned Sheep Chryst

Singletary would of been in there all week for how devoted he was looking at film after the game.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I didn't see you mentioned Sheep Chryst

Now that's another good one! I'm going to steal that from you!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Singletary would of been in there all week for how devoted he was looking at film after the game.

The thing about Head Coaches with a defensive background, they can look at the philm all day, but they won't understand a thing. Compare that to Kyle and how he'd put up *one* offensive play and review it for 45 minutes. If Kyle is going to win a championship, he's going to have to get quality defensive players. I *know* he'll be fine on offense and offensive scheme, and that he'll find undrafted guys to make his offense work. His current weakness right now is his inability to *get* or *develop* quality Defensive players. Walsh was a defensive coordinator before being a HC, and same with Bellicheat, so from a scheme standpoint - Kyle has the edge, but from a talent acquisition standpoint (if comparing him between Walsh and Bellicheat) he's not as experienced as both men on the defensive side.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:

Singletary's hairy bare ass superimposed on every film sessions with each players. Image like that you just can't easily shook from your minds eyes.
Share 49ersWebzone