There are 222 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by captveg:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Chip sucked!
Walsh > Seifert > Mariucci > Nolan = Singletary < Harbaugh > Tomsula > Chip < Shanahan

Looks like the ship has been righted.

Fixed!

Siefert with no respect...

Oops! Refixed!
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
The face of Tomsula symbolizes the darkest of ages for 49ers fans. Someone should start a poll of who's the worst coach in 49ers history, he'd probably win.

Tomsula was better than McCulley and O'Connor in 1978 at the very least.

Aye yi yi! So true!
I was disappointed Mike Shanahan hadn't been elevated to HC. Seifert did a better job than I thought he would, so all was good! Mariucci was a pretty good offensive mind and started his first two years with 13-3, 12-4...but then all heck broke loose! His fall came with the retirement of Young and the elevation of Garcia.

Mooch let an awful OC stick for too long. (sound familiar) Greg Knapp was terrible. Had we kept Marty M after 2000 the 9ers would've been strong offensively for as long as he would've stayed. Then the revolving door of OCs started and nothing could get settled. By the time the team got good again they were saddled with another terrible OC.

Shanny is the first OC I have been confident in since Marty.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Aug 15, 2018 at 9:49 PM ]
The face of Tomsula symbolizes the darkest of ages for 49ers fans. Someone should start a poll of who's the worst coach in 49ers history, he'd probably win.

Him and Dennis Erickson were the worst since I've been old enough to watch and know the game
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

Him and Dennis Erickson were the worst since I've been old enough to watch and know the game

Yea my thoughts exactly. We got some real old timers in here!
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

Yea my thoughts exactly. We got some real old timers in here!

I dunno...Captveg's two who followed Monte Clark were pretty awful! Thank you Joe Thomas!
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Chip sucked!
Walsh > Seifert > Mariucci > Nolan = Singletary < Harbaugh > Tomsula > Chip < Shanahan

Looks like the ship has been righted.

Fixed!

Siefert with no respect...

Oops! Refixed!

Lol I remember at the player intros for the 89 super bowl the team went to the sideline after the last player, but before Seifert was announced.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by Jack49ers84:

good article

Interesting how Kyle is bringing back the two Rb's one Te's set back again due to Jimmy's ability to read defenses and his quick release. I think most offenses are going 11 personnel (one back one TE?) nowadays due to all the passing rules for the offense. The difference between Kyle's old style 21 personnel and the rest of the NFL 11 personnel is that all the backs (both full and halfbacks) that he has can catch the ball as well as run.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IGSXIII:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
It was both hilarious and sad at how Tomsula had no f'n clue what was going on.

The very definition of mouth breather.

Some of the coaches we've had over the past decade... Sing, JT, Chip... Not to mention Erikson and Nolan just before that... Ga'damn!
Shanny seems like such a contrast.

FartSula is a good DLine coach. I think our Chris Kiffen is comparable to him. As for HC, he wasn't ready to be one and Baalke just screwed the pooch on that hiring. But him being able to spot undrafteds like Ian Willaims and Demarcus Dobbs is almost like Kyle's ability to spot undrafted WR's and Rb's like Bourne and Brieda. He's a D Line coach through and through and one of the better hires in the NFL at his position. I don't think he's a Dan Quinn type of guy who deliberately went back to college and became a DC vs just being a position coach in the NFL so that he can advance to becoming a defensive coordinator in the NFL and eventually the HC of Atlanta. I think the guy will be like Bob McKittrick on OLinemen - FartSula will die coaching D Linemen.
Originally posted by Giedi:

good article

Interesting how Kyle is bringing back the two Rb's one Te's set back again due to Jimmy's ability to read defenses and his quick release. I think most offenses are going 11 personnel (one back one TE?) nowadays due to all the passing rules for the offense. The difference between Kyle's old style 21 personnel and the rest of the NFL 11 personnel is that all the backs (both full and halfbacks) that he has can catch the ball as well as run.

It's the speed part of the guys we have that allows us to exploit 21 personnel nowadays. Juice really is the piece that brings it all together. I've seen 40 times as low as 4.49 attributed to him. That's really fast for FB that can still function as a FB. Basically, it keeps a defense honest and makes them keep the LBer on the field or they'd be light against the potential run game. It was the increased speed at LBer that has shifted the league away from 21 Personnel. FB could no longer run away from LBer in the pass game and it made it a loss in that matchup. That's kinda what killed the FB as well.

Originally posted by Niners816:

good article

It's the speed part of the guys we have that allows us to exploit 21 personnel nowadays. Juice really is the piece that brings it all together. I've seen 40 times as low as 4.49 attributed to him. That's really fast for FB that can still function as a FB. Basically, it keeps a defense honest and makes them keep the LBer on the field or they'd be light against the potential run game. It was the increased speed at LBer that has shifted the league away from 21 Personnel. FB could no longer run away from LBer in the pass game and it made it a loss in that matchup. That's kinda what killed the FB as well.
Interesting! Thanks.
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
Interesting! Thanks.

Niners816 knows his sh*t!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners816:

good article

That's an interesting point because in the second 49ers vs Bengals super bowl, Walsh deliberately kept their 21 personnel on the field for that last winning drive to keep the Bungle's nickel off the field. John Taylor scores the winning TD vs (I think) the Bungles base defense in the redzone.

If Kyle 21 offense starts to dominate super bowls the way the WCO dominated super bowls in the late 80's and 90's those Juzscuzyk type fullbacks will be valued at a high premium the way Edge Rushers and pass recieving TE's are valued now. But overall, I think the NFL will continue with the 11 personnel because not many franchises have Kyle as their OC. It's easier, I think, to operate out of 11 personnel if you are a pass first offense and easier to acquire players to operate it. Finding Jszcuzyk's and the kind of speed that Goodwin has is not easy and Kyle made it look easy. Not every personnel department has that kind of skillset where they can find *that* kind of talent in the later rounds or from the undrafted free agency area.
The team is so undisciplined.... And Beathard looks like he's never been coached... WTF is going on
Originally posted by Follower:
The team is so undisciplined.... And Beathard looks like he's never been coached... WTF is going on

It's preseason.
Share 49ersWebzone