LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 218 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I agree the defense needs to improve and I think they will. Got a lot of youth there overall takes a little time. Edge is the next step in the process, those guys don't grow on trees.

o line still is the key and is still very troubling to me. that is the biggest thing i will keep my eye on over the next month or so
Originally posted by cciowa:
I agree the defense needs to improve and I think they will. Got a lot of youth there overall takes a little time. Edge is the next step in the process, those guys don't grow on trees.

o line still is the key and is still very troubling to me. that is the biggest thing i will keep my eye on over the next month or so

That's fair, I think the line has improved over the course of the yr. scheme and QB play can improve the offense drastically...you need real talent on defense.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Giedi:
From an offensive standpoint, I have no problems comparing Kyle Shanahan to guys like Don Coryell, Norve Turner, Mike Martz, and other talented offensive coaches like those guys. But to be a super bowl coach and to *win* multiple super bowls, he has to prove that he can build both sides - offense and defense. It remains to be seen if he can build super bowl quality defenses. So far so good, the arrow is up on our defense from FartSula's and ChimpKelly's defense for sure. But can he get that all important edge rusher that makes an average or good defense -- *great?* It remains to be seen. Take a look at any of the defenses in our *six* super bowl appearances (even Harbaugh's Super Bowl loss) -- those defenses were elite.
good post,. he gets credit for our wins at the end of the year though i wonder what he would have done without jimmy., i think as a rookie he made mistakes early and i do not think it should be unlawful to say that. i am glad he is our coach though he is not in the elite level of nfl coaches either current or present. i like him and think he will do good things. that being said. this is still an 8 win team or mayb e 9 this year which is fine cuz it shows improvement from last year

Without Jimmy, we probably go 2-14. We got one game against the NY Gnats, and probably would have gotten a game against one of the other bottom feeding teams we played against last year, but certainly we wouldn't be 6-10 in my opinion. Having said that, CJ looked good in the NY Gnat game. He was developing before Jimmy came in and took over. If we did go 1-15 or 2-14, we'd have gotten our edge rusher this year, which would have helped our record this year too. I really look forward to seeing CJ operate the offense in pre-season, and really see how the team executes without Jimmy at QB. I think without Jimmy, last year we'd be (at most) 2-14 and this year 6-10. Now with Jimmy we can probably reach the playoffs if the defense comes around. If CJ looks really good in pre-season - my estimation of Kyle as a coach will grow leaps and bounds!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
That's fair, I think the line has improved over the course of the yr. scheme and QB play can improve the offense drastically...you need real talent on defense.

totally understand
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
From an offensive standpoint, I have no problems comparing Kyle Shanahan to guys like Don Coryell, Norve Turner, Mike Martz, and other talented offensive coaches like those guys. But to be a super bowl coach and to *win* multiple super bowls, he has to prove that he can build both sides - offense and defense. It remains to be seen if he can build super bowl quality defenses. So far so good, the arrow is up on our defense from FartSula's and ChimpKelly's defense for sure. But can he get that all important edge rusher that makes an average or good defense -- *great?* It remains to be seen. Take a look at any of the defenses in our *six* super bowl appearances (even Harbaugh's Super Bowl loss) -- those defenses were elite.

No they don't, and my hope is that Kyle is set with his offense. *Assuming* Kyle has all (or most) of the offensive players he wants for his offense, I hope this next offseason cycle he can go back to drafting and signing defenses. I think Kyle has the smarts to take lemon offensive players and make lemonade. That's why I liked Harbaugh as a coach, even though he was an offensive coach, he emphasized and drafted defense in his coaching philosophy. I still don't really know Kyle's drafting philosophy. What I mean by that is how important a priority *is* the defense when compared to his offense? Guy's like Norve, Martz, and Don Coryell - I think - were so offense minded that they relegated defense to a lower priority, conversly I think Harbaugh struck a good balance with his particular approach to the game and his philosophy. I think Kyle is a good enough HC that his offenses will always be good with draft picks from 3rd round and lower, and I think he can afford to draft defense in rounds 1 to 3 year in and year out without seriously jeopardizing the quality, efficiency, and firepower of his offense.
No they don't, and my hope is that Kyle is set with his offense. *Assuming* Kyle has all (or most) of the offensive players he wants for his offense, I hope this next offseason cycle he can go back to drafting and signing defenses. I think Kyle has the smarts to take lemon offensive players and make lemonade. That's why I liked Harbaugh as a coach, even though he was an offensive coach, he emphasized and drafted defense in his coaching philosophy. I still don't really know Kyle's drafting philosophy. What I mean by that is how important a priority *is* the defense when compared to his offense? Guy's like Norve, Martz, and Don Coryell - I think - were so offense minded that they relegated defense to a lower priority, conversly I think Harbaugh struck a good balance with his particular approach to the game and his philosophy. I think Kyle is a good enough HC that his offenses will always be good with draft picks from 3rd round and lower, and I think he can afford to draft defense in rounds 1 to 3 year in and year out without seriously jeopardizing the quality, efficiency, and firepower of his offense.

To even suggest that Kyle's offense may be set, or close to it, after only his first year is pretty incredible. Training camp and the pre-season will be critical in getting everyone executing at a high level. If that happens happy days are here again!
  • thl408
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Now you're talking. How any fan of the 49ers could complain about where they are right now astounds me. I don't expect them to win 14 games and the SB next year, and I would expect some bad loses and some more growing pains. But this rebuild is WAY ahead of schedule, and it is obvious Shanahan is coach that has the potential to lay waste to the NFL for decades. Truth be told, the way he handled his business and the team during all those losses showed a lot more about his character than if they had won right out of the gate (like McVay did). He still had the team playing hard, and it is obvious he never lost control of that locker room. The arrow could not be pointing up any straighter. This team is going to be a monster for years to come.
This is a great point and I don't think we mention it enough when talking about the 2017 season. All coordinators that get promoted to HC have to deal with managing so much more besides the Xs & Os, Kyle was no different.

When the team got curb stomped by the Eagles/Cowboys in back to back weeks to make the team 0-8, then got beat by Drew Stanton to go 0-9, that had to be extremely tough on Kyle. Kyle stayed the course and when the team celebrated their first win, it validated that he had what it takes to be a HC imo. It seemed like they celebrated for their coach, not necessarily for themselves. They were happy to finally get their HC his first win.
Originally posted by thl408:
Now you're talking. How any fan of the 49ers could complain about where they are right now astounds me. I don't expect them to win 14 games and the SB next year, and I would expect some bad loses and some more growing pains. But this rebuild is WAY ahead of schedule, and it is obvious Shanahan is coach that has the potential to lay waste to the NFL for decades. Truth be told, the way he handled his business and the team during all those losses showed a lot more about his character than if they had won right out of the gate (like McVay did). He still had the team playing hard, and it is obvious he never lost control of that locker room. The arrow could not be pointing up any straighter. This team is going to be a monster for years to come.
This is a great point and I don't think we mention it enough when talking about the 2017 season. All coordinators that get promoted to HC have to deal with managing so much more besides the Xs & Os, Kyle was no different.

When the team got curb stomped by the Eagles/Cowboys in back to back weeks to make the team 0-8, then got beat by Drew Stanton to go 0-9, that had to be extremely tough on Kyle. Kyle stayed the course and when the team celebrated their first win, it validated that he had what it takes to be a HC imo. It seemed like they celebrated for their coach, not necessarily for themselves. They were happy to finally get their HC his first win.

For sure...this wasn't a talentless team, but a young team learning how to be professionals on-the-fly. And Kyle was in the same place as his young team. They struggled through a rash of injuries again which is brutal for a rebuilding team.

Yet, they were ultra competitive with the exception of a couple games and never quit grinding...like their coach.

All those extra snaps for rookies and year-1 & 2 players and adversity should pay big dividends going forward.

Next step: consistent play and learning how to close out games.
Originally posted by NCommand:

For sure...this wasn't a talentless team, but a young team learning how to be professionals on-the-fly. And Kyle was in the same place as his young team. They struggled through a rash of injuries again which is brutal for a rebuilding team.

Yet, they were ultra competitive with the exception of a couple games and never quit grinding...like their coach.

All those extra snaps for rookies and year-1 & 2 players and adversity should pay big dividends going forward.

Next step: consistent play and learning how to close out games.

I think they got some of that when Jimmy played —5-0

They proved to themselves that they could
I believed Kyle in going 0-9 and then got Jimmy in the second half, somehow squeezed 2 seasons of developmental years into one. Seems like the curve has been accelerated.

Even in the 0-9 start you could see how sound the offensive scheme was. Dudes were routinely running wide open. The second the quarterback position started playing at a level above putrid the offense started to click and put up tremendous numbers. 28+ ppg and 400+ ypg for an offense is outstanding. Jimmy G was awesome, but he wasn't perfect and that's what makes me so excited for this HC/QB combo.....it can improve. If it does, we will have a special run.

Having said all that, I'm still the most impressed with how Kyle handled the rocky start and the locker room. I thought he'd have to grow into this role. If this command of the Locker room and player relationship continues, he will be a top 5 HC in the NFL. IMO, he's already there as an X's and O's Guy.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:

To even suggest that Kyle's offense may be set, or close to it, after only his first year is pretty incredible. Training camp and the pre-season will be critical in getting everyone executing at a high level. If that happens happy days are here again!

Totally agree. With all the speed and hands this team has, I'd have loved to have seen Colin play with these guys. Having said that, I'm totally ecstatic we got Jimmy and a pretty much finished product as an elite QB. Undrafted players like Kendrick Bourne and Matt Brieda are the equivalent of (I think) two 4rth rounders at minimum. Kittle and Trent played way higher than where they were drafted at, and I'd say on re-draft, they'd be each high 2nd round picks from a 2017 production standpoint. So, I think in the 2019 offseason, if ShanaLynch can just load up the draft board and trade a boatload of draft picks for a Bosa Brother or it's equivalent - Kyle can maintain his offense with lower round picks and undrafteds for a year or two while the defense solidifies to elite status. At least that would be my long range approach.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by mojave45:
He has already proved that he can hold a locker room together during a trying and difficult rebuild. The OP is awarded zero points lol.

Let alone making difficult decisions like supporting Foster when most Niners fans (cough WZ, cough) wanted him outta here.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Even in the 0-9 start you could see how sound the offensive scheme was. Dudes were routinely running wide open. The second the quarterback position started playing at a level above putrid the offense started to click and put up tremendous numbers. 28+ ppg and 400+ ypg for an offense is outstanding. Jimmy G was awesome, but he wasn't perfect and that's what makes me so excited for this HC/QB combo.....it can improve. If it does, we will have a special run.

Having said all that, I'm still the most impressed with how Kyle handled the rocky start and the locker room. I thought he'd have to grow into this role. If this command of the Locker room and player relationship continues, he will be a top 5 HC in the NFL. IMO, he's already there as an X's and O's Guy.

It was the best offense the 9ers have had since Marty Mornhinwheg. Getting first downs wasn't a giant struggle for the first time in nearly 2 decades.
Originally posted by Niners816:

Agreed. So excited for this offense & team as the gel this season
Share 49ersWebzone