LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Not really. He hasn't done anything in this league yet. He can be great, or he can turn out terrible. Don't understand why that's so hard to understand lol.

I mean he's been to a Super Bowl, no? He turned Matt Schaub into a pro-bowler, helped make Matt Ryan a MVP, and helped RG3 win offensive rookie of the yr. As far as running an offense dude has proven himself.

As a HC I agree we gotta wait and see, IMO he's showed a ton of positives so far. I thought he was gonna be an entitled s**t head who got to where he was solely based on his dad. He's proven me wrong 100%. He clearly knows his s**t and looks like he can run a team.

arrow up!!

edit: when the same poster says he's no better than kelly or tomsula he needs a little
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 16, 2018 at 1:35 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
...I haven't seen enough from KS to say he's any better than our last coaches.

Perfect response. This guy must not have watched any games last year.
I hope and wish that we'll be dominate for years to come. I always have my hopes very high but have to stay optimistic on coach Shanahan. Two of his best years was with Washington then Atlanta. I kinda of look at all his other years as medocr . Everyone seems to be really high on him. Hope is staying high, His 6 year contract 3 playoff appearances / 1 Super bowl. So ready for #6.
Originally posted by okieniner:
I hope and wish that we'll be dominate for years to come. I always have my hopes very high but have to stay optimistic on coach Shanahan. Two of his best years was with Washington then Atlanta. I kinda of look at all his other years as medocr . Everyone seems to be really high on him. Hope is staying high, His 6 year contract 3 playoff appearances / 1 Super bowl. So ready for #6.

He was pretty solid as OC for Texans as well he had Schaub throwing for 4,800 yards and 30 TDs in 2009 (pro-bowl MVP).
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
...I haven't seen enough from KS to say he's any better than our last coaches.

I wish there was an emoticon of an emoji farting in another emoji's mouth...that's what dude's post should be granted

"In my book he's no better than kelly or tomsula .... I will pass judgement after that"

He already judged Shanny, wtf can he even possibly mean
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Kyle was playing 1-10 chess until a gift from belichick fell out of the sky into his lap...

What was belichick doing before brady?

I hope KS and Jimmy G turn into belichick and brady, however, I haven't seen enough from KS to say he's any better than our last coaches.

I think we can all agree that Jimmy G is good but I don't give KS any credit yet as he basically came in and just won.

The sample size says 1-10 which was on par with our last couple coaches before he got an injection of talent with Jimmy G.

In my book he's no better than kelly or tomsula until he produces a winning season and makes the playoffs. Next year will be a big tell year because of the acquisitions he made so I will pass judgement after that.

Then your book is completely f**king retarded, lol.

ahhhh........
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Kyle was playing 1-10 chess until a gift from belichick fell out of the sky into his lap...

So KS is a bum?

as likely to turn out to be a bum as turing out to be the next bill Walsh.

That's funny.

Not really. He hasn't done anything in this league yet. He can be great, or he can turn out terrible. Don't understand why that's so hard to understand lol.

That's even funnier

So KS is a bum?

That's funny.

That's even funnier

The only thing in doubt is whether Kyle becomes a great head coach. To say he has not done anything in this league over all is ridiculous. He was the OC that orchestrated the 7th best offense in NFL history. And more than one scrub QB has had their best years under his tutelage. So the only question is can he handle an entire staff of coaches and command the respect of players over the long haul. So far so good on that account.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

So KS is a bum?

That's funny.

That's even funnier

The only thing in doubt is whether Kyle becomes a great head coach. To say he has not done anything in this league over all is ridiculous. He was the OC that orchestrated the 7th best offense in NFL history. And more than one scrub QB has had their best years under his tutelage. So the only question is can he handle an entire staff of coaches and command the respect of players over the long haul. So far so good on that account.

He has already proved that he can hold a locker room together during a trying and difficult rebuild. The OP is awarded zero points lol.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mojave45:
He has already proved that he can hold a locker room together during a trying and difficult rebuild. The OP is awarded zero points lol.
had my issues with him last year at times but yes this is true. i think chip did a decent job of this to given the fiasco of a team and awful defense we had then and blaine as qb. there was not one damn good thing that jt ever did here including being a d line coach in my opinion

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Belichick seeems more authoritarian type of HC. As all encompassing that he may be regarding football, his type of leadership may not facilitate growth and openness for his assistants.

Walsh style was more manipulate, teach, share, and in return got his assistants' best inputs.

I read an article some where that B.B. loaded his assistants with so much work they have little time for anything else— like letting their mind wander about improving other area of their coaching to become a good HC.

Walsh gathered his assistants to ask their opinions on the Montana/Young controversy according to Holmgren. And they all gave their opinions on how it had affected the team. I don't see BB doing that before trading Jimmy for a 2nd rounder

I think maybe what makes Bellicheat a great coach is that his so called offensive system is geared to and based on what Tom Brady can do, vs some sort of fundamental offensive philosophy. That may be why his assistants haven't done well on other teams. Bellicheat's system may be too player specific to be translateable to other teams and organizations.

What I find amazing about BB is his seemingly plug 'n play type of personnel management. They have a varied receiver type through the years for Brady and them all seemed to work more often than not. This could be to some degree because of Brady. Even their RB isn't all that , but very effective when needed in game situations.

Their defense don't stay bad for long. They could have a couple of bad games, but you just don't see it continuely bad in any one area. Very similar to the Steeelers defense from year to year, or even game to game. They are usually totally different in the playoffs. I don't remember a bad Pats defense in the playoffs.

Bellicheat has hit more home runs than strike outs, from a player acquisition standpoint. I think the mediocrity of the NFL helps him. He was the first to master the salary cap, and he was able (and still is able) to manipulate the cap in such a way that they always have good personnel (maybe not great all the time) but consistently good. Again, the mediocrity of the NFL can help a coach who has mastered the cap - in that his teams don't have much weaknesses. As long as Brady is his QB, he has an advantage over pretty much every coach in the NFL. If there was a philosophy to Bellicheat's system his defenses are 3-4 read and react (operating multi-fronts), and from an offensive philosophy - it's an under the center read-option offense that caters to Brady's skillset. So to me, it's still an issue -- can Bellicheat win without Brady? If yes, then he definitely is a great coach at the legendary hall of fame level a la Walsh, Lombardi etc... If No, then I don't have a problem putting him in the *hall of fame great Coach* category, but just one step below the *Legends* of the game.

Let alone making difficult decisions like supporting Foster when most Niners fans (cough WZ, cough) wanted him outta here.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
had my issues with him last year at times but yes this is true. i think chip did a decent job of this to given the fiasco of a team and awful defense we had then and blaine as qb. there was not one damn good thing that jt ever did here including being a d line coach in my opinion

From an offensive standpoint, I have no problems comparing Kyle Shanahan to guys like Don Coryell, Norve Turner, Mike Martz, and other talented offensive coaches like those guys. But to be a super bowl coach and to *win* multiple super bowls, he has to prove that he can build both sides - offense and defense. It remains to be seen if he can build super bowl quality defenses. So far so good, the arrow is up on our defense from FartSula's and ChimpKelly's defense for sure. But can he get that all important edge rusher that makes an average or good defense -- *great?* It remains to be seen. Take a look at any of the defenses in our *six* super bowl appearances (even Harbaugh's Super Bowl loss) -- those defenses were elite.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
From an offensive standpoint, I have no problems comparing Kyle Shanahan to guys like Don Coryell, Norve Turner, Mike Martz, and other talented offensive coaches like those guys. But to be a super bowl coach and to *win* multiple super bowls, he has to prove that he can build both sides - offense and defense. It remains to be seen if he can build super bowl quality defenses. So far so good, the arrow is up on our defense from FartSula's and ChimpKelly's defense for sure. But can he get that all important edge rusher that makes an average or good defense -- *great?* It remains to be seen. Take a look at any of the defenses in our *six* super bowl appearances (even Harbaugh's Super Bowl loss) -- those defenses were elite.
good post,. he gets credit for our wins at the end of the year though i wonder what he would have done without jimmy., i think as a rookie he made mistakes early and i do not think it should be unlawful to say that. i am glad he is our coach though he is not in the elite level of nfl coaches either current or present. i like him and think he will do good things. that being said. this is still an 8 win team or mayb e 9 this year which is fine cuz it shows improvement from last year

I agree the defense needs to improve and I think they will. Got a lot of youth there overall takes a little time. Edge is the next step in the process, those guys don't grow on trees.
Share 49ersWebzone