LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by 9moon:
I know a good coach when I see one... both Petersen and Fleck are good coaches... Shanny is not a good HC.. he's much like Norv Turner... a very good play designer..

I personally wouldn't have mind the trade and giving up two extra 1st rounders, but after Lawrence and Zach... Darnold should have been the choice..

well, unless he wanted to draft a QB he can mold..

Urban is twice the HC either of those two guys are. You banking on rousing success in Jacksonville?
Kyle should hire Norv Turner as an OC. Imagine the in-game play calling of Norv Turner combined with Kyle's playbook?
Originally posted by Joecool:
Kyle should hire Norv Turner as an OC. Imagine the in-game play calling of Norv Turner combined with Kyle's playbook?

Hopefully the next team that hires Shanahan as their coach is smart enough to not give him final say on the 90 man roster. He needs a strong GM that handles personnel for him and is able to tell him NO when he wants to trade 2 first round picks for the next CJ Beathard.

It sickens me that we're going to be the team that suffers from all of his mistakes that he then learns from and corrects at his next stop and wins a bunch of Super Bowls
[ Edited by 49ersRing on Apr 6, 2021 at 9:59 AM ]
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Hopefully the next team that hires Shanahan as their coach is smart enough to not give him final say on the 90 man roster. He needs a strong GM that handles personnel for him and is able to tell him NO when he wants to trade 2 first round picks for the next CJ Beathard.

It sickens me that we're going to be the team that suffers from all of his mistakes that he then learns from and corrects at his next stop and wins a bunch of Super Bowls

You done?
Originally posted by TheXFactor:

You done?

Is Shanahan? How many coaches get to f**k up as much as he has and keep their job? 3 losing seasons in 4 years! 2 complete f**k ups with top 3 picks!

You done?

Is Shanahan? How many coaches get to f**k up as much as he has and keep their job? 3 losing seasons in 4 years! 2 complete f**k ups with top 3 picks!

I submit that Nick Bosa is not a f&#@ up.

Also 1 of those losing seasons was his first year with a roster that was complete garbage. Another was a season with an unprecedented level of injuries. Another he lost his QB1 in week 2.

The other season? Super Bowl. So one could argue that his only season with a healthy roster of his choosing resulted in a narrow super bowl loss.

I think he's earned the benefit of the doubt.
[ Edited by trogdor on Apr 6, 2021 at 10:40 AM ]
Originally posted by trogdor:

You done?

Also 1 of those losing seasons was his first year with a roster that was complete garbage. The other was a season with an unprecedented level of injuries.

The other season? Super Bowl. So one could argue that his only season with a healthy roster of his choosing resulted in a narrow super bowl loss.

A roster full of injury prone guys he drafted and/or signed. I like Kyle, he's the best coach we've had since Mooch, but he's not beyond criticism. I remember when the Rollin' with Nolan crew gave him excuses for everything, refused to believe he wasnt a great coach.

Just keep an open mind and try to see things without bias.

You done?

What's up with all this pre-emptive doom and gloom from the fan base? As if the pick is already a foregone conclusion and they're just preparing ahead of time for their own disappointment? Is this how these people live their lives?
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:
Originally posted by trogdor:

You done?

Also 1 of those losing seasons was his first year with a roster that was complete garbage. The other was a season with an unprecedented level of injuries.

A roster full of injury prone guys he drafted and/or signed. I like Kyle, he's the best coach we've had since Mooch, but he's not beyond criticism. I remember when the Rollin' with Nolan crew gave him excuses for everything, refused to believe he wasnt a great coach.

There's also gotta be context though. Like with his big draft misses still realizing he offset some of those mistakes with big hits in the later rounds. That 1st draft was really bad but in the end... Kittle, so it eases allot of the pain.

But the injury prone stuff is so hard to knock him for. If the talent is there you kind of have to take the risk and grab it, like Bosa. Or would you rather not have Kittle anymore? Ford had an injury past but just seemed to get healthy before signing here... at the time the risk/reward seemed worth it. A healthy Ford & Bosa is good for at least a couple wins on their own. But it didnt work out. Verrett was low risk and actually panned out last season... too bad it was a sunk season so people arent going to look at it as much of a success. A big miss and then a small hit.. but at the time they both seemed worth the risk.

It hasnt all been negative and for two guys learning on the job and showing they are becoming more flexible, they have still been doing better than the majority of the league. Not to mention any niner FO in a very long time. Hold them accountable but keep in mind some of the stuff that can get overlooked when focusing on negatives.
[ Edited by TheRickestRick on Apr 6, 2021 at 10:56 AM ]

It boggles my mind that kyle grew up watching his dad coach Steve Young and Elway and him now supposedly infatuated with a meh talent like Mac.

You done?

You'd fire Bill Walsh.
Originally posted by FacePalm:

You done?

What's up with all this pre-emptive doom and gloom from the fan base? As if the pick is already a foregone conclusion and they're just preparing ahead of time for their own disappointment? Is this how these people live their lives?

There are a couple of people I know that are like this. Sad to say.
Originally posted by DaBeegDeek:

I didn't say he was beyond criticism, I simply think he has shown abilities that exceed most other coaches in the NFL.

I agree he hasn't been perfect, but you're right he's the best we've had since Mooch andthe organization as a whole is so much better than it was.

I choose to be optimistic.
[ Edited by trogdor on Apr 6, 2021 at 11:45 AM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by 9moon:
I know a good coach when I see one... both Petersen and Fleck are good coaches... Shanny is not a good HC.. he's much like Norv Turner... a very good play designer..

I personally wouldn't have mind the trade and giving up two extra 1st rounders, but after Lawrence and Zach... Darnold should have been the choice..

well, unless he wanted to draft a QB he can mold..

Urban is twice the HC either of those two guys are. You banking on rousing success in Jacksonville?

HOW do you measure success?

Seifert had great teams here in SF and won a Super Bowl, was he a good coach?? - NO!!!

Jimmy Johnson had Marino and a very good D but did not get very far, was he a good coach??? - YES!!

Mooch had an awesome team in SF and awful team in Detroit.. was he a good coach ?? - NO !!

in 3 years, if Trevor isn't a bust, I do expect the Jags to be contender in the AFC..
Share 49ersWebzone