Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by sacniner:
Kyle, the possession receiver

haha, awesome
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Originally posted by S41MAN:
I think this scheme requires less of you physically like no 50/50 balls. less tight window throws, less outside the number type throws but requires more mentally and ball placement wise. Kubiak/ Shanahan has made someone like Matt Schaub look like a pro bowler even though he would have been mediocre on a different team. I think Jimmy is a great QB but anyone else feel like we should find our Matt schaub or Kirk Cousins through to free up cap space and continue to stock pile defense? The niners said it themselves, we can manufacture an offense. Even last year we were in a lot of close games despite crappy defense and no weapons.

God this take is so f**king dumb. Listen, if it was this is easy, and coaches could just scheme up plays so that any mediocre QB can look good, good QBs wouldn't be in such high demand.

Did y'all just miss the seasons where we had Hoyer and Beathard playing under Shanahans system? How'd that go?

Remember our QB whisperer? The talk back then was the same, pay the defense and just stick with rookie QBs until that rookie contract was up. How'd that go once Kap got figured out? We plugged in Blaine Gabbert and what were the results?

It blows my mind that anyone can come up with this "idea" when we've ALREADY seen it...on THIS actual team!

Shanahan may not need a prime Aaron Rodgers to run his offense but you do need to have a certain set of skills to run it. That's a fact.

We saw receivers being open often in 2017 and Beathard or Hoyer just couldn't do it. Agreed that you do need a certain skillset. People fail to realize we haven't put up points like this since the Mariucci days and even then, I only think he had one year where he scored as much as the 2019 offense. Any QB is not coming in and averaging 30 ppg.

Good point. Sometimes it seems as though people have forgotten all about the Ken Dorsey days
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Keep it simple, or JG will screw it up.

Jimmy already averages about a INT per game with the simple stuff he is asked to do.

Yeah that Shanahan offense is so simple, great assessment of talent and complexity
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by sacniner:
Kyle, the possession receiver

i bet he wore 87 because of ed mccaffrey

He did. It was cool it also just happened to be Dwight Clark's number.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PowderdToastMn:
Good point. Sometimes it seems as though people have forgotten all about the Ken Dorsey days

Personally, I *want* to forget the Ken Dorsey days.
Our offense is going to be on a different level if Hurd pans out, Taylor stays healthy which people forget he was an automatic 1st down when Jimmy took over in 17 and in last years camp was supposedly the best looking wr and finally if Jet looks anything like he did health wise in Minnesota Kyle can go back to what he was excited and had planned with him when he signed 2 years ago. I just can't see especially if Jimmy improves, the interior oline holds up how we're not averaging 30 per game.

This is the most complete team in football even with the loss of Buckner and Sanders and that's not the homer in me, I felt we were the best team last year and that's why that f**king SB loss still bothers me today. I think Kinlaw with the talent surrounding him will hold his own and Aiyuk like Deebo last year will start slow, flash here and there and towards the end when he starts getting it we'll see why Kyle had him as his #1 wr in the draft.

This team is just way too talented and pissed off after the SB judging from interviews and social media to let a bs SB hangover get them. Only thing I see stopping this team from going back to Florida in Feb is those f**king injuries that seem to get us every year.
It is pretty amazing what Shanahan has done despite the lack of production from early round picks. Rounds 1 - 3 you expect stars or at least solid starters. After the first two drafts he ended up with
  • Solomon Thomas - backup DT
  • Reuben Foster - bust
  • Ahkello Witherspoon - backup CB
  • Mike McGlinchey - solid starter
  • Dante Pettis - backup WR
  • Fred Warner - excellent starter
Throw in some questionable free agent signings (most notably Malcolm Smith) and clearly Shanahan has gotten the most out of the talent he was given. Despite the two blown Super Bowl leads, I would say they need to start thinking contract extension.
Originally posted by hummbabybear:
It is pretty amazing what Shanahan has done despite the lack of production from early round picks. Rounds 1 - 3 you expect stars or at least solid starters. After the first two drafts he ended up with
  • Reuben Foster - bust
Throw in some questionable free agent signings (most notably Malcolm Smith) and clearly Shanahan has gotten the most out of the talent he was given. Despite the two blown Super Bowl leads, I would say they need to start thinking contract extension.

I agree. I am sold on Shanny but Lynch has made a bunch of questionable moves. To build this team he gave up a lot of draft capital. Up until Bosa, Bucker was the best player on the team and he was a Baalke pick.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
  • Reuben Foster - bust

I agree. I am sold on Shanny but Lynch has made a bunch of questionable moves. To build this team he gave up a lot of draft capital. Up until Bosa, Bucker was the best player on the team and he was a Baalke pick.

I don't think it really matters where your starters come from in terms of rounds/picks, as long as your draft, free agency, and trades are productive. You have to look at ShanaLynch in all three dimensions (drafts, trades, free agency) I think, to really get a good gauge on how good they are.

But just Isolating the draft, I think the amazing thing is you don't have to worry about Kyle on running backs, tight ends, O-Linemen, and wide receivers. He has a knack of making this offense work with chewing gum and bailing wire. Kyle's genius is - I think - worth an extra first round pick every draft because of undrafted and low round picks like Kittle, Kaden Smith, Skule, Bourne, Breida, Mostert, Brunskill, Dwelley, Celek etc... -- you can afford busts like Solomon, Joe Williams and Reuben foster and not really lose too much.

• Reuben Foster - bust

They both definitely have had their fair share of "draft X no matter what" moments.

What's saved their butts several times IMHO is they also draft based on skill sets to match specific positions.

In short, if Joe Williams doesn't pan out, Breida, Mostert, Wilson and 30 others have similar skill sets because the first thing Kyle did with Lynch was lay out exactly what he wanted at each position.

So now, 4 years later, they are 2-4 deep at each position. Back in the day, this was so prominent for the WCO, media would ask, "Is it the players or the system?" Walsh could drop the next guy in and not miss a beat.

What taken it to the next level is stellar coaching from Kyle, his game planning, adjustments and coaching from guys like Benton to get the maximum out of low grade talent (or high talent).

Defense has been about adding every top resource possible to that side and win with talent and depth. Way less on coaching and scheme...although Woods and Kocurek made immediate impacts.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 24, 2020 at 10:26 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Our offense is going to be on a different level if Hurd pans out, Taylor stays healthy which people forget he was an automatic 1st down when Jimmy took over in 17 and in last years camp was supposedly the best looking wr and finally if Jet looks anything like he did health wise in Minnesota Kyle can go back to what he was excited and had planned with him when he signed 2 years ago. I just can't see especially if Jimmy improves, the interior oline holds up how we're not averaging 30 per game.

This is the most complete team in football even with the loss of Buckner and Sanders and that's not the homer in me, I felt we were the best team last year and that's why that f**king SB loss still bothers me today. I think Kinlaw with the talent surrounding him will hold his own and Aiyuk like Deebo last year will start slow, flash here and there and towards the end when he starts getting it we'll see why Kyle had him as his #1 wr in the draft.

This team is just way too talented and pissed off after the SB judging from interviews and social media to let a bs SB hangover get them. Only thing I see stopping this team from going back to Florida in Feb is those f**king injuries that seem to get us every year.

Agree. I'll just add in year four of his coaching experience, I have a feeling he's gotten a handle of the cap too. I think that's one of the milestones a HC has to go through - is how to handle the cap. I think it was a brilliant move to trade Buckner and get that first round pick for Kinlaw, instead of trying to keep him and trading Armstead. Add in the other moves to get a 5th round pick for Breida and a 6th rounder for Goodwin. If Kyle can continue to build and have success through the draft, then the cap isn't going to hurt his team too much. One final thing, if you look at all the coaches with very long tenures on their teams - they all have one critical ability, and that's to spot QB talent. Kyle's found Jimmy and BDN, and if Kyle keeps finding gems like that -- he will have a very long career with the 49ers.
Originally posted by Giedi:
  • Reuben Foster - bust

I don't think it really matters where your starters come from in terms of rounds/picks, as long as your draft, free agency, and trades are productive. You have to look at ShanaLynch in all three dimensions (drafts, trades, free agency) I think, to really get a good gauge on how good they are.

But just Isolating the draft, I think the amazing thing is you don't have to worry about Kyle on running backs, tight ends, O-Linemen, and wide receivers. He has a knack of making this offense work with chewing gum and bailing wire. Kyle's genius is - I think - worth an extra first round pick every draft because of undrafted and low round picks like Kittle, Kaden Smith, Skule, Bourne, Breida, Mostert, Brunskill, Dwelley, Celek etc... -- you can afford busts like Solomon, Joe Williams and Reuben foster and not really lose too much.

Well said, Giedi. Well said. Kinda puts a poke in the balloon of KS/JL flaming out with top picks, esp early on. It is the sum of all parts re: talent acquisition that is the bottom line.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
They both definitely have had their fair share of "draft X no matter what" moments.

What's saved their butts several times IMHO is they also draft based on skill sets to match specific positions.

In short, if Joe Williams doesn't pan out, Breida, Mostert, Wilson and 30 others have similar skill sets because the first thing Kyle did with Lynch was lay out exactly what he wanted at each position.

So now, 4 years later, they are 2-4 deep at each position. Back in the day, this was so prominent for the WCO, media would ask, "Is it the players or the system?" Walsh could drop the next guy in and not miss a beat.

What taken it to the next level is stellar coaching from Kyle, his game planning, adjustments and coaching from guys like Benton to get the maximum out of low grade talent (or high talent).

Defense has been about adding every top resource possible to that side and win with talent and depth. Way less on coaching and scheme...although Woods and Kocurek made immediate impacts.

Regarding coaching and scheme. Now we have a coaching cap. Apparently the new rules say that Kyle can't block interviews for his assistant coaches. I mean the NFL has a thing for the 49ers, first the eddie DeBartolo rule and now the Kyle *can't block anybody interviewing his assistant coaches* rule. Dang.
So seems like a lot of folks think it's all coaching and nothing to do with Lynch and the FO being really good at their jobs as well. Too funny
Share 49ersWebzone