There are 128 users in the forums

Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨

Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Niners_D:
I'm curious on the video captured by NFL films regarding Shanny giving the head's up to the ref that Kittle would be held on the next play. Was the footage public? How did this get to the public if not? I ask because it is fodder for the Chiefs to prompt the refs in advance that Shanny will try to game them. That getting out does not help us in the SB.

Coaches talk to the refs all the time. I guarantee all coaches do this to some extent. This might be a thing if it ended up not being a flag, but it was. It's not like it's Harbaugh out there pissing off the refs.
Originally posted by ExtraBroccoli:
I'm curious on the video captured by NFL films regarding Shanny giving the head's up to the ref that Kittle would be held on the next play. Was the footage public? How did this get to the public if not? I ask because it is fodder for the Chiefs to prompt the refs in advance that Shanny will try to game them. That getting out does not help us in the SB.

Coaches talk to the refs all the time. I guarantee all coaches do this to some extent. This might be a thing if it ended up not being a flag, but it was. It's not like it's Harbaugh out there pissing off the refs.

I agree but this was highlighted by being blasted all over the media. That puts the refs and their interactions with Shanny in the spotlight, so they may be more hesitant to engage with him as a result so they don't look complicit.

I agree but this was highlighted by being blasted all over the media. That puts the refs and their interactions with Shanny in the spotlight, so they may be more hesitant to engage with him as a result so they don't look complicit.

Chiefs: Hey refs, watch out for Shanny gonna warn you about stuff.
Refs: well, Shanny told us you were going to warn us.
Chiefs: f**k.

Eh. Everyone tries to game the system. It's up to the refs to be impartial.

Being that the hold was so egregious, it would have pulled a flag anyway. In fact, it did with the other SJ.
I hope Kyle prepares this for this super bowl as his only chance of getting a Lombardi. Hope he has the team so prepared and we just destroy KC. If not all off season it will 28-3 will be brought up(even though he wasn't the HC at the time) and how he doesn't have it to win it all.

All he did was tell the ref kittles route and watch for the hold, maybe that CB has holding most of the game without a flag being called. It's a normal interaction IMO nothing wrong with it.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
I hope Kyle prepares this for this super bowl as his only chance of getting a Lombardi. Hope he has the team so prepared and we just destroy KC. If not all off season it will 28-3 will be brought up(even though he wasn't the HC at the time) and how he doesn't have it to win it all.

They may not have practiced yesterday but I guarantee you he's been breaking down all the film he could this week, I'm sure he and Saleh are putting together a gameplan exploiting some weaknesses the Chiefs have. We also have to remember he had pass plays dialed up but didn't need to call them because the run was so effective. I think Shanahan will target Tyrann Matthieu in this game because he has leeway to line up where he wants and that's where we'll throw off Kansas City
If I was an older coach like Reid was in his last year at PHI or an older coach who has a very good offense but gets fired, I would ask Kyle to be his OC. Do that for 2 or 3 years to get a fresh look and restart my HC path with a new perspective. Gotta be very humble and have some major love of the way the game is played to do that. But it would be very beneficial.
I've been thinking a lot about the evolution of the WCO and also the use of motion. Motion has been around forever, but under Joe Gibbs, the Redskins utilized it as a weapon to confuse defenses pre-snap. Walsh won 3 Super Bowls with his WCO system and Gibbs won 3 Super Bowls utilizing his motion-based innovations. I'm wondering if the roots of Shanny's offense is ultimately the merger of the two successful systems by the two great offensive minds. Taking the best of both worlds.

Here is an old NYT article on Gibbs use of motion (he used more single back, but I see some parallels in the concepts):

https://www.nytimes.com/1983/10/02/sports/one-back-style-gives-nfl-a-new-look.html

A snippet from the article:

"Gibbs's version of the one-back offense didn't stop at replacing a running back with a second tight end. Sometimes the back would be replaced by a third wide receiver. Sometimes a third tight end would replace a wide receiver. And someone is always likely to be in motion before the snap of the ball. Motion is not new. The Dallas Cowboys have sent their running backs or wide receivers in motion for years. But Gibbs's man-in-motion system was more complex. He would have one tight end shift from a stationary position on one side to a stationary position on the other side, after which the second tight end would go in motion just before the snap. That second tight end might run parallel behind the line of scrimmage and turn toward the line - and his blocking assignment or pass route - as the ball was snapped. He might turn in, between the guard and tackle to lead- block for the runner. Or he might make a U-turn as he approached the quarterback and run toward his original position at the snap or lead the runner into the line on his original side."

"That much motion can disrupt a defense."

''That tight end making that little U-turn looks like nothing,'' said Madden. ''But I know Tom Landry hates to see it. A team comes out in one formation, and you get ready to defend against it. Then a guy starts in motion; that changes the defense. Then he comes back; that changes it again. That makes three times the defense has had to adjust, and they haven't even snapped the ball yet.''
[ Edited by Niners_D on Jan 24, 2020 at 10:22 AM ]
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:

They may not have practiced yesterday but I guarantee you he's been breaking down all the film he could this week, I'm sure he and Saleh are putting together a gameplan exploiting some weaknesses the Chiefs have. We also have to remember he had pass plays dialed up but didn't need to call them because the run was so effective. I think Shanahan will target Tyrann Matthieu in this game because he has leeway to line up where he wants and that's where we'll throw off Kansas City

I'm betting he had help with his homework from dad.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by 49ersGiantspride:

I'm betting he had help with his homework from dad.

Its like we got two coaches for the price of one!
Garoppolo may never have to throw more then 5 yards again.

Originally posted by susweel:
Better have them ready to play and not lose this superbowl. Don't be pulling no jimmy harbs type bs.
Shanny has not done that yet, WTF would he start now?

Shanny > Harbaugh
Share 49erswebzone