There are 168 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Let's face it, he made a dumb decision. What bothers me is that he won't own up to it. He did the same thing after the Super Bowl. THAT bothers me more than him making the bad decision. It just means he will do it again.

Passes 3 times and leaves too much time on the clock. Kyle says he's aggressive and is not playing for a tie.

But then he doesn't go for it on 4th and inches.

Dude, just own up.

It was only a dumb decision because it didn't work out.

If any of those throws are completed it's a non issue. Players have to execute plays just like they did in Atlanta. Nobody was bashing Kyle for the playcall that got Atlanta into FG range but somehow because Ryan takes a critical sack or the next play where his OL gets a holding penalty it's Kyle's fault?

And your point about not going for it on 4th and inches would make more sense if they punted. They went for a game winning FG. That's literally GOING FOR THE WIN.

It also wasn't 4th and inches, it was 4th and 1 because of the poor spot.

If he goes for it and we fail then we would be hearing about how he should have kicked the FG and going for it was a mistake given how we were struggling in both the run game and pass game.
Shanahan has blind spots. He is great and doing amazing in most areas. Love him. Want him here for many years. But, he is mismanaging the WR position.

1. Pettis is not responding to the current methodology. That is Shanahan's fault. I have no doubt Pettis would be a Star with a Seattle type approach to player development.

2. The favoritism for Bourne over Goodwin and Bourne is incoherent and ruining the WR group dynamic.
Originally posted by bigwads:
Shanahan has blind spots. He is great and doing amazing in most areas. Love him. Want him here for many years. But, he is mismanaging the WR position.

1. Pettis is not responding to the current methodology. That is Shanahan's fault. I have no doubt Pettis would be a Star with a Seattle type approach to player development.

2. The favoritism for Bourne over Goodwin and Bourne is incoherent and ruining the WR group dynamic.

My guess is he favors Bourne over Goodwin because he gives us a little size and he is also practicing. Remember, Goodwin has missed a lot of time with personal issues and he clearly isn't the player he was 2 years ago. He has dropped more easy passes than any of our receivers. Bourne has his drops too but he's also made some key receptions. Unless Hurd gets healthy he's probably our best big receiver option.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Let's face it, he made a dumb decision. What bothers me is that he won't own up to it. He did the same thing after the Super Bowl. THAT bothers me more than him making the bad decision. It just means he will do it again.

Passes 3 times and leaves too much time on the clock. Kyle says he's aggressive and is not playing for a tie.

Dude, just own up.
the 4th and inches thing killed me.... almost took me back to when mooch took a knee at half time with tampa bay
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
It was only a dumb decision because it didn't work out.

If any of those throws are completed it's a non issue. Players have to execute plays just like they did in Atlanta. Nobody was bashing Kyle for the playcall that got Atlanta into FG range but somehow because Ryan takes a critical sack or the next play where his OL gets a holding penalty it's Kyle's fault?

And your point about not going for it on 4th and inches would make more sense if they punted. They went for a game winning FG. That's literally GOING FOR THE WIN.

no matter what he did. you have a kid kicker,,, no matter what has happened during the game. you still have a good run team and jimmy could have fallen across the line to get a half a foot. taking a chance. fourth and inches. get the first down. maybe get another ten yards for your kicker is what should have been done in my opinion
Originally posted by cciowa:
It is just crazy that people act like you committed a murder if you dare question the coach . i think its ok to like him as your head coach but have the right to shake your head and wonder aloud why in the world did he go in that direction without having a bunch of .. but but.. lets fire him now. do you want chip and jt back. sheesh

Are you really questioning the coach when you root for failure? This was Susweel early Christmas.

If Jimmy puts that ball out a foot farther to Deebo no one is saying the coaching was an issue. If the kicker makes the damn FG, which he had just done in Regulation, no one says coaching is an issue.

Players failed Monday night.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Nov 15, 2019 at 8:46 AM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i am so sick of people whining about the spot and the refs f**ked us... you line up. smash mouth and send a message that we can pick up a first down. how come we are afraid of being the bully vs seattle like we were in the first 8 games of the year to other teams.,
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
It is just crazy that people act like you committed a murder if you dare question the coach . i think its ok to like him as your head coach but have the right to shake your head and wonder aloud why in the world did he go in that direction without having a bunch of .. but but.. lets fire him now. do you want chip and jt back. sheesh

Are you really questioning the coach when you root for failure? This was Susweel early Christmas.

If Jimmy outs that ball out a foot farther to Deebo no one is saying the coaching was an issue. If the kicker makes the damn FG, which he had just done in Regulation, no one says coaching is an issue.

Players failed Monday night.

what a lie. i never rooted for failure. kyle is not above being questioned in a big game like this along with the players

Dude, just own up.

No , he did not make a DUMB decision, he made a HC DECISION. Just because you or I or someone else wanted to go for it on 4th and a yard, doesn't make it dumb. It was his choice. That was what he decided to do at that point in time...go for the FG...go for the Win. That is what kyle is all about...winning. And this time, it didn't work out.

Remember by that time we were missing not only KWON and Kittle, but also Sanders , the only guy who is a reliable receiver. Bourne, pettis , Deebo all had bad nites. Our OL was getting abused by SEA DL. Joe and McG altho they had practiced a week just weren't ready, esp for SEA.

So there were a lot of other things going thru kyle's Mind when he made the FG decision . Sure the kid was brand new to us, but he had just gone 3/3 in FGs, one for 42 yrds. And this one was 47. How on earth can you call that dumb. All our O was basically overwhelmed. Everyone would have felt better with Gould in there, but he's Out, injured. On D we had also lost Blair permanently, and DJ Jones was out with a groin. KWON and spoon gone.

Jimmy had not been spot on with his passes, and our running game to begin got stoned. Put all that together Joe, and to call that a dumb decision....if he makes the FG we win a game we were so talent depleted in that this probably looked like our best shot to go for the W. What if we don't make that 1 yd on 4th down. Then kyle looks worse.

HCs take possession of Ws and likewise Ls. We'll never know if YOUR choice was better or not. It's all in the rear view mirror now. Point is there were one helluva lot of other things going on at the time, and Kyle had to consider them all. He was playing his best bet with a team that had been physically beaten up and was missing 2 healthy starters at OT, Richburg injured and out for awhile, both reliable WRs out, 3 WRs in that were setting a new drop record, jimmy not having his best game, and our D missing 3 starters...or was it 4?

Are you saying that kyle's Decision was dumb with all that going on and a decimated 9er team out there? Initially i would like to have gone for the first down. But after thinking about our physical status and where we were in the game...kyle was every bit as right as you are, considering all the injuries , drops, and SEA manhandling us. Their DL were all healthy and just eating our OLs lunch. A one yard run under those circumstances was anything but certain.

And then, if he had not converted, what would fans be saying today? "He should have gone for the FG...at least there we had a chance for a W".

So no matter what kyle did, he was going to make some fans unhappy. But that is why there is just one HC. We have won many games this yr we should have lost. Pitts, AZ, for certain. But kyle's Decisions allowed us to win those. Nothing is ever 100%. And this decision is just one of many made by kyle en route to an 8-1 record.

You are entitled to your opinion, but you are no more right than what kyle chose. And he was on the sidelines at the time, he assessed what chances we had of winning and he felt this was our best shot. But he had a lot more things to consider than those of us watching the game did.
what a lie. i never rooted for failure. kyle is not above being questioned in a big game like this along with the players

Is your handle susweel?

Can you ever stop playing the victim? Every post on every topic in every thread.

i am so sick of people whining about the spot and the refs f**ked us... you line up. smash mouth and send a message that we can pick up a first down. how come we are afraid of being the bully vs seattle like we were in the first 8 games of the year to other teams.,

Once again it wasn't actually 4th and inches due to the terrible spot.

It was 4th and a yard. 47 yard FG isn't easy but the kicker made that kick earlier. You go for the kick and hope it goes through, game over.

You go for the 4th down and the way the OL was playing(not sure if you forgot but our running game was pretty uninspired)

It didn't work out and it sucks but the call made all the sense in the world.

i agree with you, play so that you dont put yourself in that position or situation. you play your game and dominate like you have for the past 8 games.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Is your handle susweel?

Can you ever stop playing the victim? Every post on every topic in every thread.

show me where i root for the team to fail. maybe you can stop making it personal for a change and show me where i root to fail
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Once again it wasn't actually 4th and inches due to the terrible spot.

It was 4th and a yard. 47 yard FG isn't easy but the kicker made that kick earlier. You go for the kick and hope it goes through, game over.

You go for the 4th down and the way the OL was playing(not sure if you forgot but our running game was pretty uninspired)

It didn't work out and it sucks but the call made all the sense in the world.

thank you for a good mature response which is better than what you get from a couple people here. i totally get what you are saying.. it all makes good sense.. just wish we could have went for it and made it easier for the kid.. i never was mad at him. he did good all game long but just messed up at crunch time. i had little confidence robby could have made any of those kicks. like i said 49 earlier. those close losses grate at me more than a blow out. just agree to disagree and hope we wash out the bad taste sunday
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rxrunner:

i agree with you, play so that you dont put yourself in that position or situation. you play your game and dominate like you have for the past 8 games.

after giving seattle proper credit as you should... yes.. they were the aggressor that night and that upset me
Share 49ersWebzone