LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 262 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

i thought this was an interesting observation from one of the latest articles posted

"It is also fragile, and this team is in its very early stages, so that bears watching, but reading about Joe Staley inviting Justin Skule to his house last week to spend an evening cramming, seeing the players on the field and on the sidelines absolutely losing it when a teammate succeeds (like Trent Taylor giving Dante Pettis all sorts of love after his game-winning catch), even seeing players losing their minds in a box during the Sharks playoffs, or seeing Kittle & Co. (including Jimmy and Pettis!) having a blast at a WWE event, all give the impression that this team truly does like hanging out and that the players genuinely care for one another."

https://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/2157-niners-showing-heart-grit-early-season/
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
i thought this was an interesting observation from one of the latest articles posted

"It is also fragile, and this team is in its very early stages, so that bears watching, but reading about Joe Staley inviting Justin Skule to his house last week to spend an evening cramming, seeing the players on the field and on the sidelines absolutely losing it when a teammate succeeds (like Trent Taylor giving Dante Pettis all sorts of love after his game-winning catch), even seeing players losing their minds in a box during the Sharks playoffs, or seeing Kittle & Co. (including Jimmy and Pettis!) having a blast at a WWE event, all give the impression that this team truly does like hanging out and that the players genuinely care for one another."

https://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/2157-niners-showing-heart-grit-early-season/

Staying up late, talking about boys and braiding eachothers' hair. This article makes me cringe so hard.
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:

Staying up late, talking about boys and braiding eachothers' hair. This article makes me cringe so hard.

LOL

regardless of the article and how it was written however, you absolutely cannot deny the team chemistry we're seeing among the team and it's potential relevance to gameday thus far
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:

Basically us.

it's 100% true too. Even Kwon Alexander mentioned that in some his mic'd up cutups. the team is doing this well whilst being perceptive enough to see just how much better they can become. (especially after this last game)

it's clear as day they 100% believe and everyone's patience and hard-work is paying off so far
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
Our opposition so far is only 1-8. . . not good. But here's some stat comparison. I was bored.

Tampa's offense averages 239 passing yards and 122 rushing yards. We held them to 174 passing yards (72% of their average) and 121 rushing yards (99%).
-Tampas defense gives up 261 passing yards and 70 rushing yards. We only threw for 158 passing yards (60%) and rushed for 98 (140%)

Cinci's offense averages 308 passing yards and 42 rushing yards. We held them to 291 passing yards (94%) and 25 rushing (59%)
-Cinci's defense gives up 238 passing yards and 169 rushing yards. We passed for 312 (131%) and rushed for 259 (153%)

Pitt's offense averages 205 passing yards and 64 rushing yards. We held them to 160 passing yards (78%) and gave up 79 rushing yards (123%)
-Pitt's defense gives up 302 passing yards and 139 rushing yards. We put up 268 passing yards (89%), and rushed for 168 (120%)

Of the 12 total stat comparisons listed, we were better than the averages on nine of them. Our passing game against tampa and pitt, and our rush defense against pitt didn't meet the averages.

When looking at this super super simple comparison, we are above average compared to these eight teams (tampa, Cinci, pitt, carolina, ny giants, buffalo, seattle, and the pats)

also of note, SF and seattle share a game against pittsburg. our yardage stats are very similar. This fails to take into account that we turned the ball over five times, and it also fails to take into account that seattle played against big ben for a portion of their game.

/cheers

Interesting. They beat the teams they're supposed to. Isn't that what a good team supposed to do...

Seattle also played Cincy
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by 5thSFG:
Our opposition so far is only 1-8. . . not good. But here's some stat comparison. I was bored.

Tampa's offense averages 239 passing yards and 122 rushing yards. We held them to 174 passing yards (72% of their average) and 121 rushing yards (99%).
-Tampas defense gives up 261 passing yards and 70 rushing yards. We only threw for 158 passing yards (60%) and rushed for 98 (140%)

Cinci's offense averages 308 passing yards and 42 rushing yards. We held them to 291 passing yards (94%) and 25 rushing (59%)
-Cinci's defense gives up 238 passing yards and 169 rushing yards. We passed for 312 (131%) and rushed for 259 (153%)

Pitt's offense averages 205 passing yards and 64 rushing yards. We held them to 160 passing yards (78%) and gave up 79 rushing yards (123%)
-Pitt's defense gives up 302 passing yards and 139 rushing yards. We put up 268 passing yards (89%), and rushed for 168 (120%)

Of the 12 total stat comparisons listed, we were better than the averages on nine of them. Our passing game against tampa and pitt, and our rush defense against pitt didn't meet the averages.

When looking at this super super simple comparison, we are above average compared to these eight teams (tampa, Cinci, pitt, carolina, ny giants, buffalo, seattle, and the pats)

also of note, SF and seattle share a game against pittsburg. our yardage stats are very similar. This fails to take into account that we turned the ball over five times, and it also fails to take into account that seattle played against big ben for a portion of their game.

/cheers

Interesting. They beat the teams they're supposed to. Isn't that what a good team supposed to do...

Seattle also played Cincy

The teams we beat have had tough schedules which is why they have only won one game.
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:

LOL

regardless of the article and how it was written however, you absolutely cannot deny the team chemistry we're seeing among the team and it's potential relevance to gameday thus far

I'll take this over sleeping with eachothers women ala Aldon and kap.
I posted the following over in then Undercenter vs Gun Thread....Thought I'd drop it here as well:

I haven't seen a place that shows rushing stats breakdowns based on UC or Gun. However here's a little UC/Gun breakdown I will do with the info I do have. According to Sharpfootballstats.com, we have been undercenter 64% of the time this year and 36% in the Gun. As a team thru 3 games, Pro-football-reference.com has us running 201 plays (85 pass attempts, 2 times sacked, 114 rush attempts). Pro-football-reference.com also tells me Jimmy has had 33 pass attempts UC, 2 sacks UC, 51 Pass attempts in the Gun, 0 sacks in the gun.....Also, Pettis pass was from a gun formation.

Based on those percentage, the plays and the UC/Gun pass splits here is the breakdown thus far:

Plays Undercenter: 33 pass Attempts, 2 times Sacked, 93 rush attempts.....128 plays
Plays in the Gun: 52 pass Attempts, 0 times Sacked, 21 rush attempts...73 plays

So undercenter we have thrown the ball 27% and ran it 73%.
In the Gun we have thrown the ball 71% and ran it 29%

In total 60% of our passing plays are in the gun and 40% are undercenter
In total 14% of our runs plays are in the gun and 86% are undercenter

The above are the UC vs Gun stats......When I was looking at it it dawned on my that thus far we have a Pass/Rush ratio of 43%/57%. I'll have to check but I don't think Kyle has ever featured that heavy of a run lean.
Originally posted by Niners816:
I posted the following over in then Undercenter vs Gun Thread....Thought I'd drop it here as well:

I haven't seen a place that shows rushing stats breakdowns based on UC or Gun. However here's a little UC/Gun breakdown I will do with the info I do have. According to Sharpfootballstats.com, we have been undercenter 64% of the time this year and 36% in the Gun. As a team thru 3 games, Pro-football-reference.com has us running 201 plays (85 pass attempts, 2 times sacked, 114 rush attempts). Pro-football-reference.com also tells me Jimmy has had 33 pass attempts UC, 2 sacks UC, 51 Pass attempts in the Gun, 0 sacks in the gun.....Also, Pettis pass was from a gun formation.

Based on those percentage, the plays and the UC/Gun pass splits here is the breakdown thus far:

Plays Undercenter: 33 pass Attempts, 2 times Sacked, 93 rush attempts.....128 plays
Plays in the Gun: 52 pass Attempts, 0 times Sacked, 21 rush attempts...73 plays

So undercenter we have thrown the ball 27% and ran it 73%.
In the Gun we have thrown the ball 71% and ran it 29%

In total 60% of our passing plays are in the gun and 40% are undercenter
In total 14% of our runs plays are in the gun and 86% are undercenter

The above are the UC vs Gun stats......When I was looking at it it dawned on my that thus far we have a Pass/Rush ratio of 43%/57%. I'll have to check but I don't think Kyle has ever featured that heavy of a run lean.

The Bengals game will have skewed those stats, plus the fact that the past 3 games we've run several QB kneels which are technically under center runs. Even 5 or 6 plays will skew numbers a couple % points at this stage.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
The Bengals game will have skewed those stats, plus the fact that the past 3 games we've run several QB kneels which are technically under center runs. Even 5 or 6 plays will skew numbers a couple % points at this stage.

Yeah I don't suspect us to keep that trend up to that degree but it was interesting seeing it that high....We have ran more than passed in every single game.....2012 was the only time Kyle have ran more that passed for an entire season.

It'll be interesting to see where it ends up.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Sep 27, 2019 at 2:16 PM ]

2012 Redskins: 2709 rushing yards. (With a running QB). 3422 passing yards.

2019 49ers: 525 rushing yards. 738 passing yards. If my math is correct, through 16 games that would be 2799 rushing yards and 3935 passing yards.
Originally posted by John_Candy:
2012 Redskins: 2709 rushing yards. (With a running QB). 3422 passing yards.

2019 49ers: 525 rushing yards. 738 passing yards. If my math is correct, through 16 games that would be 2799 rushing yards and 3935 passing yards.

The pass/run ratio in 2012 was 48% pass 52% rush and that was the only time Kyle ran more than passed.

In our franchise the best statistical team in terms of yards was 1998. Ran for 2544 and threw for 4256.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Sep 27, 2019 at 3:02 PM ]
Did anyone post that we have only punted 7 times and have given up 0 yards after those punts?

On Kyle's play-calling. He was in the zone last 2 games even with the penalties and turnovers. Hope something has clicked for him and he keeps seeing it well during games.
Originally posted by Nastastical:

So good to see the offense that Bill Walsh built back in SF, and taken to the next level by Mike Shanahan in the 90's. And now by 2nd generation Kyle Shanahan.

When I watch the Niners offense, and then watched the other offenses around the league, their offenses look pedestrian. Just like back in the Walsh era, the coordination and crisp execution are there.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 28, 2019 at 12:40 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone