There are 169 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
I don't think we ever won 3 in a row with JH. If we did, it was rare. Tough to win 3 straight. Good start.

He won 8 games in a row.....

Yes but how many times did he win 3 in a row. It always seemed like we win 2 and lose 1.

Quite a few especially if you count playoffs.

He even did it in his last year twice.
I don't think we ever won 3 in a row with JH. If we did, it was rare. Tough to win 3 straight. Good start.

lol

Yes but how many times did he win 3 in a row. It always seemed like we win 2 and lose 1.

That was 2012.

2011 we had a big win streak I think from Bengals to Cards (or whichever game before Ravens)...

2012....we literally couldn't win 3 in a row all year, but that was good enough for 11-5-1 and #2 seed.

2013....we started 6-4 then rolled off 6 in a row to finish 12-4....
Kyle's offense this year if you need it....

32 ppg
421 ypg
246 pass per game
175 rush per game
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:

Not since '98. Announcers cracked the joke that if you were alive the last time they started 3-0 you'd be old enough to drink. Also mentioned that they made the playoff 75% of the time when it happened. Here's hoping to make that 80%.

Edit: thought you meant to start off the season

3-0 is a good sign of playoff possibilities, that's for sure!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

That was 2012.

2011 we had a big win streak I think from Bengals to Cards (or whichever game before Ravens)...

2012....we literally couldn't win 3 in a row all year, but that was good enough for 11-5-1 and #2 seed.

2013....we started 6-4 then rolled off 6 in a row to finish 12-4....

I hope this is the start of another playoff run!
Time for my weekly crow eating feast.

Well, this week it's a bit of a crow canape rather than a full-sized meal. There were bits that didn't work and which must in the end fall on the coach.

We got the W. That's credit to the coaches. The D was magnificent in intensity and in scheming. Saleh of course gets the coaching credit here, but when a group of athletes shows the psychological fortitude of our D to come back from so many blows (mostly from our offensive offense, but also due to their own 2 miscues in the second half) then the credit goes to all managers, including the top man. So well done there.

Like with the previous two weeks, the team came out much better in the 2nd half. That's also credit to the manager for making adjustments and keeping the players focused and intense. Well done on that account too.

BUT: five turnovers is unacceptable. I know it's the players on the field who mess up, and I know that Shanahan had to scheme a lot to overcome the loss of important players. But in the end, establishing a culture where turnovers are unthinkable, and when they do happen non-repeatable, is the job of the coach. He doesn't have the butterfingers of the players who kept putting the ball on the turf. But he's the man to ensure that these players know that this is unacceptable. Unacceptable if it happens once; but "heads will roll" serious if it happens five bloody times!

Also: the players have jitters, butterfingers, whatever. They drop the ball. Well then, perhaps scheme something safer than cutesy tosses on endarounds on third and bleedin' goal with the game on the line!

Deep breath. Well, we won, we're 3-0 and hopefully due to regroup from this almost-calamity in the bye week. I predicted 6-10 this year, so we're way overperforming my low expectations. So, even grumpy me is happy today. But more seriously: Shanahan and the team have shown adaptability this year, and a repeated tendency to improve during games. This is an incredible asset, and hopefully one that will extend to the season as a whole. I want to see us come out storming in the next game and play error free football.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I hope this is the start of another playoff run!

Well, if we go by the beautiful almost-Cinderella 2011 season (damn Kyle Williams ) that team also started sloppy as hell (blowing a sure win against Dallas of all teams , winning an Ugly-Fest at Cincy) and then pulled a win out of its arse at Philly to start that brilliant run that included some heartstoppers vs Detroit and NYG and the divisionals vs NO. Perhaps we can see the same this year? Minus the heartstoppers please, yesterday was enough. I want boring blowouts please.

Oh, and no Kyle Williams either
[ Edited by paulk205 on Sep 23, 2019 at 12:12 AM ]
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Less penalties today, good improvement from the first two weeks.

A couple bad play calls but the turnovers were not on him, except the stupid direct snap to RJJ.

Good game from Kyle.
Originally posted by paulk205:
Well, if we go by the beautiful almost-Cinderella 2011 season (damn Kyle Williams ) that team also started sloppy as hell (blowing a sure win against Dallas of all teams , winning an Ugly-Fest at Cincy) and then pulled a win out of its arse at Philly to start that brilliant run that included some heartstoppers vs Detroit and NYG and the divisionals vs NO. Perhaps we can see the same this year? Minus the heartstoppers please, yesterday was enough. I want boring blowouts please.

Oh, and no Kyle Williams either

haha that Detroit post game handshake

• Garce
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
haha that Detroit post game handshake

JH was such a prick, lol.
[ Edited by Garce on Sep 23, 2019 at 12:15 AM ]
Originally posted by Garce:
JH was such a prick, lol.

I would have sworn he had slapped Swartz on the bum, and this is how I tell the story about our "psychotic ex-coach" to people who don't know what an NFL is here, but the video evidence puts the lie on that memory
Originally posted by paulk205:
Time for my weekly crow eating feast.

Well, this week it's a bit of a crow canape rather than a full-sized meal. There were bits that didn't work and which must in the end fall on the coach.

We got the W. That's credit to the coaches. The D was magnificent in intensity and in scheming. Saleh of course gets the coaching credit here, but when a group of athletes shows the psychological fortitude of our D to come back from so many blows (mostly from our offensive offense, but also due to their own 2 miscues in the second half) then the credit goes to all managers, including the top man. So well done there.

Like with the previous two weeks, the team came out much better in the 2nd half. That's also credit to the manager for making adjustments and keeping the players focused and intense. Well done on that account too.

BUT: five turnovers is unacceptable. I know it's the players on the field who mess up, and I know that Shanahan had to scheme a lot to overcome the loss of important players. But in the end, establishing a culture where turnovers are unthinkable, and when they do happen non-repeatable, is the job of the coach. He doesn't have the butterfingers of the players who kept putting the ball on the turf. But he's the man to ensure that these players know that this is unacceptable. Unacceptable if it happens once; but "heads will roll" serious if it happens five bloody times!

Also: the players have jitters, butterfingers, whatever. They drop the ball. Well then, perhaps scheme something safer than cutesy tosses on endarounds on third and bleedin' goal with the game on the line!

Deep breath. Well, we won, we're 3-0 and hopefully due to regroup from this almost-calamity in the bye week. I predicted 6-10 this year, so we're way overperforming my low expectations. So, even grumpy me is happy today. But more seriously: Shanahan and the team have shown adaptability this year, and a repeated tendency to improve during games. This is an incredible asset, and hopefully one that will extend to the season as a whole. I want to see us come out storming in the next game and play error free football.

No, the players need to execute. Coaches are responsible for putting the players in a position to make plays. If the player can't then, get someone who can. The coaches are responsible however to teach them how to read the opposition, the best option to take after (like cutting back inside or bouncing inside, telling them when and why). You don't simplify plays because they got jitter or butterflies-EVERYONE gets them, Montana got them, you overcome them. If they got butter finger receivers, get rid of them and find someone else.

While it is the coaches responsibility to emphasize ball security and how to execute it, what decision they should make after turning up field and why (watch Walsh) every former player that has played the game has said when talking about a game and being asked about player or coach problem has said, stop, it is the players responsibility to make the plays (like tackles, catching and securing the ball before turning up field etc., decisions on whether to push it down filed or take what is given). Now if a coach makes a bad decision to run a certain play call on a certain time and you have not had luck with it-that is a coaches problem.

Kyle had them going up and down the field and you want to change that? The two interceptions were not his fault, the receivers had it in their hands. According to Kyle the fumble with the center exchange was Richburg's fault. The one that was Jimmy's fault was the direct snap to the Richie, because of his cadence.

Mistakes are not desirable I agree, but look around the league, human nature, it is going to happen from time to time.
Originally posted by WildBill:
No, the players need to execute. Coaches are responsible for putting the players in a position to make plays. If the player can't then, get someone who can. The coaches are responsible however to teach them how to read the opposition, the best option to take after (like cutting back inside or bouncing inside, telling them when and why). You don't simplify plays because they got jitter or butterflies-EVERYONE gets them, Montana got them, you overcome them. If they got butter finger receivers, get rid of them and find someone else.

While it is the coaches responsibility to emphasize ball security and how to execute it, what decision they should make after turning up field and why (watch Walsh) every former player that has played the game has said when talking about a game and being asked about player or coach problem has said, stop, it is the players responsibility to make the plays (like tackles, catching and securing the ball before turning up field etc., decisions on whether to push it down filed or take what is given). Now if a coach makes a bad decision to run a certain play call on a certain time and you have not had luck with it-that is a coaches problem.

Kyle had them going up and down the field and you want to change that? The two interceptions were not his fault, the receivers had it in their hands. According to Kyle the fumble with the center exchange was Richburg's fault. The one that was Jimmy's fault was the direct snap to the Richie, because of his cadence.

Mistakes are not desirable I agree, but look around the league, human nature, it is going to happen from time to time.

Good post, but I don't think I fully agree. Under Walsh (and the eternally underrated and underappreciated Siefert), the demands for flawless execution were so relentless and the prospect or retribution (fines, being cut) so real that players responded. There is a story from Brent Jones (one of my favourite Niners ever, along with Frank) who fumbled a ball in practice while a touted rookie who had cost a very high supplementary pick: Walsh came to him and basically said: "This is not college any more. You don't have a scholarship. We CAN and WILL cut you if you do this again". And Jones basically described his a******e becoming like a pinhead from the fear. There is also another from Rathman who cost one of the two losses in the best season in history (1989) by a fumble, when Siefert basically gave him the hairdryer treatment after that; and that was a major part of that team, perhaps on the best season of his career. I think Jerry also mentioned the s**t he got from Walsh for all his drops in his first season and that's the best player in history we're talking about.

I'm not saying that Shanahan is not giving the players s**te when they eff up. He may do this away from the cameras. I don't necessarily want another baby like Harbaugh on the sidelines. I'm not even saying that yelling is always the correct response. I also remember the U&U (*) Siefert being stonecold indifferent to Young going ballistic behind him when substituted during that 40-8 shellacking at home by Philly. That's also good management: words are words. Moan if you must, but I don't care. He put Young back in for the next game, and shock of shocks, we won and everything was hunky dory again.

The thing is that over the last three years the team has been very error prone on the whole, and it's cost us. Sometimes it's butterfingers; others its idiotic penalties; yet others is choking from winning positions (all those moral victories of yesteryear). It's great that yesterday the team also had confidence and fortitude to keep coming back from all those self-inflicted wounds. It seems they are growing, and that's also on Shanahan as I said. The top man gets the credit - but also the blame. I admire the way he seems to adapt at half time, and I certainly give him all the credit for three-and-oh. Bu he has to create a culture where self-inflicted wounds are not just unacceptable, they are unimaginable.

(*) underrated and underappreciated
[ Edited by paulk205 on Sep 23, 2019 at 1:16 AM ]

With all those TD's called back and holding calls and turnovers inside the RZ...imagine.
Share 49ersWebzone