There are 300 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Agreed. We are going to find out a lot about their ability to manage cap in the next 3 to 4 offseasons. We are going to have some guys that are due a big payday or just guys that could get a decent extension. AA's deal is up and a decision will have to be made. They need to extend Buckner. Kittle, Breida, and Mullens's deals are up after next year. Fortunately, the top dollar positions have already been paid (DE, tackle, and QB) and the other guys at those positions (MM and Bosa) are at the start of rookie deals. We should also be done with spending excessive money on unproductive players. Jimmy Ward will finally be gone (I hope). McKinnon should be taking a restructured deal next year. I didn't like AA's option being picked up, but can't complain about him thus far.

We have a Dline that will make + Kwon that will make our overall D look great. I say keep adding to that pass rush, yearly, and let some guys move on. The forecast for the next few years is pretty much, provided that every perceived position of strength remains that way.

Mullens isn't a UFA until after 2021. He's an ERFA this year and I'd expect him to be locked up for the next 2 when he resigns.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Sep 21, 2019 at 7:03 PM ]
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Agreed. We are going to find out a lot about their ability to manage cap in the next 3 to 4 offseasons. We are going to have some guys that are due a big payday or just guys that could get a decent extension. AA's deal is up and a decision will have to be made. They need to extend Buckner. Kittle, Breida, and Mullens's deals are up after next year. Fortunately, the top dollar positions have already been paid (DE, tackle, and QB) and the other guys at those positions (MM and Bosa) are at the start of rookie deals. We should also be done with spending excessive money on unproductive players. Jimmy Ward will finally be gone (I hope). McKinnon should be taking a restructured deal next year. I didn't like AA's option being picked up, but can't complain about him thus far.

We have a Dline that will make + Kwon that will make our overall D look great. I say keep adding to that pass rush, yearly, and let some guys move on. The forecast for the next few years is pretty much, provided that every perceived position of strength remains that way.

Mullens isn't a UFA until after 2021. He's an ERFA this year and I'd expect him to be locked up for the next 2 when he resigns.

Ah. I'm a year too early. That's great news.
Serious question here, we see the Chiefs offense every week putting up like 800 yards 75pts/g and mahomes throwing for 9tds a game. Which is what I hope our offense will eventually turn out to be with Kyle calling our plays and jimmy under center. I understand Mahomes is great, as he was an mvp for a reason. One think I want to know is, how are there alwayssss someone open for a huge gain, is it Mahomes , is it the elite playmakers, is it Reid's play calling or combination of everything? Or is Reid simply better than Shanahan at calling plays/game planning?
[ Edited by DJamhour on Sep 22, 2019 at 8:18 AM ]
Originally posted by DJamhour:
Serious question here, we see the Chiefs offense every week putting up like 800 yards 75pts/g and mahomes throwing for 9tds a game. Which is what I hope our offense will eventually turn out to be with Kyle calling our plays and jimmy under center. I understand Mahomes is great, as he was an mvp for a reason. One think I want to know is, how are there alwayssss someone open for a huge gain, is it Mahomes , is it the elite playmakers, is it Reid's play calling or combination of everything? Or is Reid simply better than Shanahan at calling plays/game planning?

I think it's a combo of Reids offense been in place for 5 years. Mahomes' arm and ability to hit it anywhere on the field. And maybe they have played teams that have lesser pass rushers so far...not sure on that.

They are now without T.Hill and K. Hunt. Let's see how that would affect their offense...
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 22, 2019 at 8:49 AM ]
Reid has been calling plays in the NFL for 30+ years, so that plays a big part.
Originally posted by captveg:
Reid has been calling plays in the NFL for 30+ years, so that plays a big part.

And he stays up with the times. There are some play callers that lost it over time.

469 yards despite a 50+ yard drop and 5 turnovers.

He's really good.
He lost 5 years of his life after the 5 turnovers. Glad he got back 2 after the win

Good game but whatever that play was supposed to be for James needs to be scraped. Loved the shovel passes even though they didn't gain much
I don't think we ever won 3 in a row with JH. If we did, it was rare. Tough to win 3 straight. Good start.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I don't think we ever won 3 in a row with JH. If we did, it was rare. Tough to win 3 straight. Good start.

He won 8 games in a row.....

Not since '98. Announcers cracked the joke that if you were alive the last time they started 3-0 you'd be old enough to drink. Also mentioned that they made the playoff 75% of the time when it happened. Here's hoping to make that 80%.

Edit: thought you meant to start off the season
[ Edited by TheRickestRick on Sep 22, 2019 at 8:55 PM ]
Originally posted by smithgdwg:

He won 8 games in a row.....

Yes but how many times did he win 3 in a row. It always seemed like we win 2 and lose 1.
Share 49ersWebzone