There are 203 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Was listening to one of the podcasts and they brought up an interesting question: take away one of Kyle's strengths and what does he offer?

Strength: play design.

What does he offer as a head coach after this? The guys on the podcast could only think of his ability to connect with the players via his youth.

Let's just say that he has a lot to prove in terms of being a leader of men rather than being a leader of the whiteboard.

He does have a lot to prove. So did Walsh in his third year and so on. Not comparing him yet, but competence is where it starts, the rest fall into loving the game and making sure his players love the game too. Look at Gruden and the raiders, I get the feeling some of the players there love themselves more than the game.

This is true about the locker room but it seems like that is because Kyle is more of a players coach. Haven't really seen him rip into a starter or coach for execution. Walsh wouldn't rip into players but he definitely reamed the assistant coaches a new hole. That was his theory to motivate from top to bottom. It was a great strategy that kept him in favor with the players but also kept a distance from the players.

Walsh method.
Player A messes up.
Walsh rips the assistant coach.
Assistant coach rips player A.
Player A improves without hating Walsh.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Was listening to one of the podcasts and they brought up an interesting question: take away one of Kyle's strengths and what does he offer?

What does he offer as a head coach after this? The guys on the podcast could only think of his ability to connect with the players via his youth.

Let's just say that he has a lot to prove in terms of being a leader of men rather than being a leader of the whiteboard.

winning a road game would be a good first step.

He won three, Chicago, Texans and Rams.

you do understand we are two years removed from 2017.

And we are one year removed from 2018, what's your point?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by illinois9er:

And we are one year removed from 2018, what's your point?
if people slobber all over kyle for winning five in a row two years ago. then you hold him accountable for winning no road games last year,. a few stead fast here tend to give kyle or lynch praise for things but when things go south. deflect to bad luck injuries or grant c
  • thl408

I think him being able to keep the team together, not pointing fingers or have rumblings of mutiny while opening 0-9 in 2017, then 1-7 in 2018, is a good sign that he has shown the players he is knowledgeable enough that the players believe he can make them better. Over the course of 2 seasons, players can see if a coach knows what he's talking about, or if he's fake. He's going to need to have some positive results, but I think enduring through those two tough seasons and still having the players "on board" is a good sign he can lead.
Originally posted by thl408:

I think him being able to keep the team together, not pointing fingers or have rumblings of mutiny while opening 0-9 in 2017, then 1-7 in 2018, is a good sign that he has shown the players he is knowledgeable enough that the players believe he can make them better. Over the course of 2 seasons, players can see if a coach knows what he's talking about, or if he's fake. He's going to need to have some positive results, but I think enduring through those two tough seasons and still having the players "on board" is a good sign he can lead.

All I know is that Kyle better have this offense scoring points. If he doesn't, then I think our D will have problems against the run.
Kyle's interview today was one of the most honest and insightful interviews I've heard from and NFL coach in a long long time. He's gonna be great!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

All I know is that Kyle better have this offense scoring points. If he doesn't, then I think our D will have problems against the run.

If you can guarantee Shanahan that his players will be healthy then I'm sure he'll deliver.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

If you can guarantee Shanahan that his players will be healthy then I'm sure he'll deliver.

Young teams don't fold up. They just don't. Shanahan and Lynch have essentially remade the roster after three drafts and some key free agent signings. Very few Baalke players are left.

We never saw this team fold last season, or mail in a game. If anything, they started playing stronger down the stretch, after all hopes of a playoff berth had been lost.

That's usually a pretty good sign that Shanahan has a good handle on the team.

Injuries are part of the game, but injuries just decimated this team last season. I still think we may lose a player or two down the line, but I've got my fingers crossed that it doesn't repeat itself this year.

winning a road game would be a good first step.

Definitely

• Jcool
  • Veteran

I think 95% of NFL teams would love to have Sean McVay as their head coach. Taking away his play design and 95% of NFL teams wouldn't want him. Those same teams would love to have Andy Reid but take away his play design and he would be out of the league. Sean Payton, Matt Nagy, Doug Pederson are in that same boat. The only one who aren't defined by play calling is John Harbaugh & Mike Tomlin. Carroll and Belichick could be more CEO coaches but both are masters on defense.
Kyle just better improve red zone scoring.

Men lie, women lie, but analytics don't lie.
Originally posted by Jcool:

I think 95% of NFL teams would love to have Sean McVay as their head coach. Taking away his play design and 95% of NFL teams wouldn't want him. Those same teams would love to have Andy Reid but take away his play design and he would be out of the league. Sean Payton, Matt Nagy, Doug Pederson are in that same boat. The only one who aren't defined by play calling is John Harbaugh & Mike Tomlin. Carroll and Belichick could be more CEO coaches but both are masters on defense.

McVay and Reid do one thing better than Kyle: stick with one RB.

Kyle needs to stop this RB committee crap. Alfred Morris was the worst move ever.
[ Edited by Joecool on Aug 22, 2019 at 8:31 PM ]
Kyle just better improve red zone scoring.

Men lie, women lie, but analytics don't lie.

We were the best red zone scoring team in '16 under chip, lets bring him back
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Another thing Kyle does better than all of the above, makes practice squad guy, rookies and scrubs (on offense) look like NFL talent.
Share 49ersWebzone