LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 332 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Something that may help JG even if the o-line is too leaky in pass protection - if the WRs, Kittle and RBs as receivers can break open quickly. That is, assuming JG is quick enough in recognition of who has broken free quickly.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Looks like jed will have to eat 3 years of kylie's contract.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:

Maybe he can be moved to OC?
Originally posted by susweel:

Derp
One week away from an official QB controversy.... it's already unofficial for those in the know.
Originally posted by Follower:
One week away from an official QB controversy.... it's already unofficial for those in the know.

Poor Grant. So desperate for the s**t you throw at the wall to stick.
[ Edited by captveg on Aug 19, 2019 at 8:07 PM ]
This QB decision will define the legacy of KS as a head coach.... if he lets money get in the way of the decision, he'll go back to being a pretty good between the twenties offensive coordinator.
Better be working to get the rust off JG. Going to have the pull the trigger quick if JG starts the season looking like he did today. Can't sacrifice the season for poor QB play.

Hopefully its an abnormality that we won't see in any of the other preseason games and this season.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Better be working to get the rust off JG. Going to have the pull the trigger quick if JG starts the season looking like he did today. Can't sacrifice the season for poor QB play.

Hopefully its an abnormality that we won't see in any of the other preseason games and this season.

If needed, this is exactly what the season should be sacrificed for. If Jimmy takes 8 games to get re-acclimated but then turns the corner and the team goes 8-8 but with a more seasoned Jimmy G that leads to several pro bowl worthy seasons in 2020-2030 I'll gladly sacrifice the 2019 season for it. With open arms.

The man needs to get reps. Which means he plays when he has good games, and he plays when he has bad games. It means he plays with a huge lead in the 4th quarter unless it's down to all handoffs, and he plays with a huge out-of-reach deficit in the 4th quarter when he's doing nothing but passing. And if he throws picks to end those games he still plays. And if he throws 7 TDs in a game he plays to get more reps in the 4th quarter.

Bottom line - if he's healthy, he plays. Period. Gotta get him the experience - any kind of experience.
[ Edited by captveg on Aug 19, 2019 at 8:38 PM ]
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Troll harder, Grant, I mean "Follower."

It's preseason. KS gives zero f***s about these games. He let him get some throws in against defenders who were finally allowed to hit him and that's it. Nothing else will be taken from this game.
Originally posted by captveg:

If needed, this is exactly what the season should be sacrificed for. If Jimmy takes 8 games to get re-acclimated but then turns the corner and the team goes 8-8 but with a more seasoned Jimmy G that leads to several pro bowl worthy seasons in 2020-2030 I'll gladly sacrifice the 2019 season for it. With open arms.

The man needs to get reps. Which means he plays when he has good games, and he plays when he has bad games. It means he plays with a huge lead in the 4th quarter unless it's down to all handoffs, and he plays with a huge out-of-reach deficit in the 4th quarter when he's doing nothing but passing. And if he throws picks to end those games he still plays. And if he throws 7 TDs in a game he plays to get more reps in the 4th quarter.

Bottom line - if he's healthy, he plays. Period. Gotta get him the experience - any kind of experience.

Already looking to next year? Great!
Originally posted by wolfpack2192:

I'm looking both with realistic expectations and what is more important - long term sustained success. 1980 under Walsh was worth 1981-1998. We need Jimmy G to get his reps in like Montana did that year. 2018 was supposed to be that year, but the ACL took those reps away. So, reboot.

I'll gladly embrace overperforming this season, BTW. I'm just not *expecting* it. What I expect is ups and downs and the overall talent increase making the difference to get beyond the sub-.500 record of the last few years.

2019 is for health and experience first and foremost. More than that is bonus time.
[ Edited by captveg on Aug 19, 2019 at 8:47 PM ]
Originally posted by wolfpack2192:

After this showing from Jimmy, I think we should expect 7-9 at best. He is not ready yet. Needs more experience.
I guess you go down with record and results and performance. Those indicators don't show great things. But personally I think Lynch is far more problematic than Shanahan. It's hard to say what Shanahan really is. He is playing with a real spotty roster and a GM who doesn't pick well and picks bust after bust and then expects him to win with that. It would be better if your GM helps you fill out the roster rather than handicap you with so many bad picks.
Share 49ersWebzone