LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 241 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• cciowa
  • Veteran
HOPING jimmys quick release will mask the weakness of our line for 16 games is just whistling past the end zone kyle
Originally posted by Giedi:
Because we have a lead, we'll throw more. That point just doesn't pass the smell test. If Jimmy gets a lead and does his job, the defense will be dropping into coverage vs protecting the run, to keep from falling further behind, and that frees up the run. As NY85 said, good luck in blitzing Jimmy, he'll more likely burn the defense than take a sack and that stops a lot of DC's from loading up on the pass with blitzes.

The difference between a four minute offense and a two minute offense is the type of runs and the type of passes. The the four minute offensive passes are shorter, quicker, to counter the defense loading up on the run. Four minute offenses tend to run more to bleed the clock, so it's unlikely the opposing defense will be teeing off on Jimmy. Whereas a two minute offense usually features less QB protection and more hail mary passes that expose your QB to be high-lowed by the DLine, and the DLine will be gunning for the QB and trying to put him in the blue tent.

It just seems that the offense looks really explosive this year. If Jimmy scores on the first possession, that puts jimmy in a more run oriented offense from that point on.

That's a good point on the other side of the coin. The defense making 3 and outs and turnovers gives JG the ball back more. The risk is he could face more probability of hits. That said, it could also lead to earlier leads and bigger leads and him being more protected by handing the ball off subsequently. I esp. like your added emphasis on striking first. I believe Kyle does scripted plays. If so, there could be added focus on mastering those plays to start games for this very reason.

I can't remember how we did offensively out of the gate last year.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 19, 2019 at 3:37 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by KittleSkittle:
I'm more worried about the number of hits Jimmy takes. He has a quick release, so he can avoid a lot of sacks, but he'll still get hit on a lot of those plays. If you watch his tape in 2017, even though he didn't take a lot of sacks, he got drilled quite a few times. I don't know if he's durable enough to withstand that many hits over 16 games.

^ This man...gets it!

yeah, same guy who says watching youtube qualifies you to be a doctor.

On a forum full of people that think watching football from their couch every Sunday makes them qualified to be a GM.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
One more thing about NC's comments of how many passes each of our many WRs is going to get, keeping in mind that we have an all pro in Kittle who set a TE record last yr plus we now have Toilolo. Rather than how many targets are each guy going to get, it is obvious we have more WRs/TEs than we can use. Sure we can use a starter WR as a backup, same for TE. But that , at first glance, seems ridiculous when we have a surfeit of WRs and now TEs, but a dearth of OLs. Surely that can't have been kyle's Plan. And if it was, then it was poor. Rather , i think kyle got carried away, saw this WR talent and all thots about OL went out the window.

Or, maybe not. Maybe kyle wanted to have all these extra receivers, and TE/WR/RB types, so the D wouldn't know who was playing which position, and we end up with favorable matchups. It could be. But to end up with extra WRs and TEs, that we have to cut, after taking two WRs in 2nd and 3rd rd? Seems like kyle may have overlooked something here...eg, the OL. Honestly, i hope this isn't the case. Because if so he made a strategic error.

Appreciate all the discussion, fellas!

Doc, I took a stab at it based on the personnel packages and roles of those players thus far.

So if I took a hard stab at it, I'm guessing it looks like this.

2019 Snaps:
TE1 - 800 - Kittle (800 run/pass blocking)
TE2 - 500 - Toilolo (500 run blocking)
SWR - 450 - Taylor (300) / Hurd (150)
ZWR - 650 - Hurd (400) / Pettis (250)
XWR - 800 - Pettis (500) / Goodwin (300)

So if you wanted to pull in the "draft an OL or WR in the second" debate this draft, to me, it's simple. One gives you 1,100 snaps a year and the other, at best, half that. But if Kyle thought Deebo was such a unique talent that he wouldn't see one like it next year+, he could justify it. But they seem to focus on #UnitbyUnit. This year they seemed focused on checking off the WR, ER, and ST box. Next year let's hope it's the OL and DB boxes.

My thoughts exactly.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
I'm more worried about the number of hits Jimmy takes. He has a quick release, so he can avoid a lot of sacks, but he'll still get hit on a lot of those plays. If you watch his tape in 2017, even though he didn't take a lot of sacks, he got drilled quite a few times. I don't know if he's durable enough to withstand that many hits over 16 games.

^ This man...gets it!

On a forum full of people that think watching football from their couch every Sunday makes them qualified to be a GM.

Well I watched a GM on youtube, so I think I'm qualified!

^ This man...gets it!

That's probably the same thing Lynch told York in his job interview.

^ This man...gets it!

There are a few in the draft forum that think they could've gotten the GM job if they had Kyle's direct line.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

^ This man...gets it!

I have to tell you. That statement you made about youtube made my day and really injected a lot of humor in my life today. Keep it up!

Seriously though, I agree - you don't need to go to college to be an (for example) an English major, History Major, etc... $100,000 to be an English major is ridiculous in my opinion.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

^ This man...gets it!

There are a few in the draft forum that think they could've gotten the GM job if they had Kyle's direct line.

I recommended NCommand because he slept at a Holiday Inn once.
One more thing about NC's comments of how many passes each of our many WRs is going to get, keeping in mind that we have an all pro in Kittle who set a TE record last yr plus we now have Toilolo. Rather than how many targets are each guy going to get, it is obvious we have more WRs/TEs than we can use. Sure we can use a starter WR as a backup, same for TE. But that , at first glance, seems ridiculous when we have a surfeit of WRs and now TEs, but a dearth of OLs. Surely that can't have been kyle's Plan. And if it was, then it was poor. Rather , i think kyle got carried away, saw this WR talent and all thots about OL went out the window.

Or, maybe not. Maybe kyle wanted to have all these extra receivers, and TE/WR/RB types, so the D wouldn't know who was playing which position, and we end up with favorable matchups. It could be. But to end up with extra WRs and TEs, that we have to cut, after taking two WRs in 2nd and 3rd rd? Seems like kyle may have overlooked something here...eg, the OL. Honestly, i hope this isn't the case. Because if so he made a strategic error.

Doc, I took a stab at it based on the personnel packages and roles of those players thus far.

2019 Snaps:

So if you wanted to pull in the "draft an OL or WR in the second" debate this draft, to me, it's simple. One gives you 1,100 snaps a year and the other, at best, half that. But if Kyle thought Deebo was such a unique talent that he wouldn't see one like it next year+, he could justify it. But they seem to focus on #UnitbyUnit. This year they seemed focused on checking off the WR, ER, and ST box. Next year let's hope it's the OL and DB boxes.

My thoughts exactly.

^ This man...gets it!

I have to tell you. That statement you made about youtube made my day and really injected a lot of humor in my life today. Keep it up!

Seriously though, I agree - you don't need to go to college to be an (for example) an English major, History Major, etc... $100,000 to be an English major is ridiculous in my opinion.

Originally posted by Waterbear:

Ha! Legitimately Lol.
Originally posted by John_Candy:

Ha! Legitimately Lol.

Originally posted by qnnhan7:

^ This man...gets it!

I recommended NCommand because he slept at a Holiday Inn once.

And saved a bunch of money by switching to Geico. And even more after switching to Allstate.

2019 Snaps:

My thoughts exactly.

LMAO.

"I've got ya snaps right here!"
Share 49ersWebzone