LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 249 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by evil:
Originally posted by Joecool:
It still bothers me that Kyle does not want to roster a short-yardage back. That's why his red zone offenses suck.

Remember when Freeman and Coleman combined for 31 rushing touchdowns, 26 of which were in the RZ, during the 2 seasons Kyle was the OC in Atlanta?

No he doesn't. That's why his comment makes no sense.
You mean in 2016 when Coleman had 11 total and Freeman had 13? Or in 2015 when they had a combined total of 15? And these include all touchdowns, not red zone.

ATL in 2016 was the 8th highest team in red zone scoring percentage (TD only).
It still bothers me that Kyle does not want to roster a short-yardage back. That's why his red zone offenses suck.

Does a short-yardage back help when you're on the 18 though? Did we have problems running the ball in from under 5 yards (where typically you use the "short-yardage" guy)?

I'd like to know some of that data.

I agree we sucked in the RZ, not sure it was because we didn't have a 230+ RB and more to do with poor QB play and Kyle having to do better in that area.

edit: I'll add we had a bigger back in 2017 in Hyde (230lbs) and they were ranked 27th in RZ scoring %
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 12, 2019 at 12:56 PM ]

Remember when Freeman and Coleman combined for 31 rushing touchdowns, 26 of which were in the RZ, during the 2 seasons Kyle was the OC in Atlanta?

Coleman only had 9 of those 31.
  • evil
  • Veteran

You mean in 2016 when Coleman had 11 total and Freeman had 13? Or in 2015 when they had a combined total of 15? And these include all touchdowns, not red zone.

Coleman had 9 rushing TD's in 2015 & 2016. 7 of those 9 were scored in the red zone.

Freeman had 11 rushing TD's in 2015 and 11 again in 2016. In both 2015 and 2016 he had 9 rushing TD's inside the RZ, which totals 18 for the two seasons combined.

So 25 (not 26 my bad) total red zone rushing touchdowns when Kyle was OC out of 31 total rushing TD's by those two backs.

Your point just went out the window.
Coleman had 9 rushing TD's in 2015 & 2016. 7 of those 9 were scored in the red zone.

Freeman had 11 rushing TD's in 2015 and 11 again in 2016. In both 2015 and 2016 he had 9 rushing TD's inside the RZ, which totals 18 for the two seasons combined.

So 25 (not 26 my bad) total red zone rushing touchdowns when Kyle was OC out of 31 total rushing TD's by those two backs.

Could throw in some receiving TDs from those two as well (and DiMarco the FB) I'm not sure if they were in the RZ or not but wouldn't be shocked.

In the two years he's been here, the redzone offense has been poor.

Maybe he needs a Freeman type back. Coleman's 3.5 red zone TDs per year in those two years isn't impressive.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jul 12, 2019 at 1:25 PM ]
So Kyle is not so lousy in RZ offense, as some suggest.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Maybe he needs a Freeman type back. Coleman's 3.5 red zone TDs per year in those two years isn't impressive.

Or field a team of starters, not backups.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Could throw in some receiving TDs from those two as well (and DiMarco the FB) I'm not sure if they were in the RZ or not but wouldn't be shocked.

You can get RZ scoring numbers by looking at advanced splits.

His point was the RZ offense sucks because he does not keep a short yardage back. Yet without a short yardage back in Atlanta, he had 25 of the 31 rushing TD's scored by Freeman and Coleman coming in the red zone. And that does not include their pass catching abilities. On rushing touchdowns alone, the RZ offense was more than fine Without the need for a short yardage back.

The point he made is completely off base and was proven wrong.

Originally posted by Young2Rice:

What's a freeman type back? He's literally the same size (maybe smaller) than McKinnon.

His point was the RZ offense sucks because he does not keep a short yardage back. Yet without a short yardage back in Atlanta, he had 25 of the 31 rushing TD's scored by Freeman and Coleman coming in the red zone. And that does not include their pass catching abilities. On rushing touchdowns alone, the RZ offense was more than fine Without the need for a short yardage back.

Ah I see...

I mean he did have a short yardage back in 2017 here with Hyde (230lbs) they were 27th ranked

He's showed he can score in the RZ (ATL was 8th overall in 2016) I think piss poor QB play does play a part, I do think if I had to throw a weakness in kyle game it is in the RZ though.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Ah I see...

I mean he did have a short yardage back in 2017 here with Hyde (230lbs) they were 27th ranked

He's showed he can score in the RZ (ATL was 8th overall in 2016) I think piss poor QB play does play a part, I do think if I had to throw a weakness in kyle game it is in the RZ though.

I want to see this RZ O with a healthy JG, a healthy backfield and a healthy Richburg. All key cogs to make it go.

But to date it has been a weakness.

Ah I see...

I want to see this RZ O with a healthy JG, a healthy backfield and a healthy Richburg. All key cogs to make it go.

But to date it has been a weakness.

Agreed
Originally posted by WestCoastForever:
So Kyle is not so lousy in RZ offense, as some suggest.

Dude had a legit offense with an undrafted 2nd year qb along with a million other injuries, so no id say give him good personnel and we'll be fine
Share 49ersWebzone