There are 190 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Salah doing a better job on D than Kyle on O
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Well, a lot of coaching on defense *is* getting talent. X's and O's from the defensive standpoint isn't as involved as on offense.

Cleveland ownership has a lot to do with Cleveland Browns being a bottom feeder. Bellicheat learned first hand how culture affects performance (specially from a doofus owner who's primary goal is politics vs winning games), I'll just say *Bernie Kosar* and leave it at that. What's impressive about Bellicheat's Cleveland browns coachs was the quality, for example - his DC in Nick Saban. Nuff Said. That was a talented bunch, for sure.

Jim Harbaugh is still relatively young for a head coach. Walsh was 47 when he started coaching the 49ers. Assuming Harbaugh can fix his offense, I think he has the talent to win a championship or two in the NFL. But between Harbaugh and Kyle, I'll have to go with Kyle simply because his upside I think is far higher than Harbaugh's. I think Kyle has the chops to be a good defensive coach and I think it's harder being a good defensive coach and moving to offense, than the other way around. Getting Bosa is **HUGE** and I think from here on in, Kyle's defense has the potential to rival Harbaugh's defenses.

Yeah ownership is massive along with being able to have the talent to make your system go. No better example than that Cleveland team.

Sure Harbs is still young and I do think he's a good coach....I have yet to see any "change" to his system especially on offense. IMO he doesn't seem like a guy who's willing to make all these adjustments. Like I said the dude been wearing the same damn outfit for 10 yrs lol. He's a bit stubborn if you ask me.

We haven't seen much success with kyle but we've seen glimpses of what this team could be....just need healthy guys and dudes need more snaps.

Are these stats only from JG's 9 total games with us, or are these season totals from 2017 & 2018?
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Well, a lot of coaching on defense *is* getting talent. X's and O's from the defensive standpoint isn't as involved as on offense.

Cleveland ownership has a lot to do with Cleveland Browns being a bottom feeder. Bellicheat learned first hand how culture affects performance (specially from a doofus owner who's primary goal is politics vs winning games), I'll just say *Bernie Kosar* and leave it at that. What's impressive about Bellicheat's Cleveland browns coachs was the quality, for example - his DC in Nick Saban. Nuff Said. That was a talented bunch, for sure.

Jim Harbaugh is still relatively young for a head coach. Walsh was 47 when he started coaching the 49ers. Assuming Harbaugh can fix his offense, I think he has the talent to win a championship or two in the NFL. But between Harbaugh and Kyle, I'll have to go with Kyle simply because his upside I think is far higher than Harbaugh's. I think Kyle has the chops to be a good defensive coach and I think it's harder being a good defensive coach and moving to offense, than the other way around. Getting Bosa is **HUGE** and I think from here on in, Kyle's defense has the potential to rival Harbaugh's defenses.

Yeah ownership is massive along with being able to have the talent to make your system go. No better example than that Cleveland team.

Sure Harbs is still young and I do think he's a good coach....I have yet to see any "change" to his system especially on offense. IMO he doesn't seem like a guy who's willing to make all these adjustments. Like I said the dude been wearing the same damn outfit for 10 yrs lol. He's a bit stubborn if you ask me.

We haven't seen much success with kyle but we've seen glimpses of what this team could be....just need healthy guys and dudes need more snaps.

Are these stats only from JG's 9 total games with us, or are these season totals from 2017 & 2018?

Looks like 2017 only from the week #'s listed at the top of the two columns.
[ Edited by RTFirefly on Jul 3, 2019 at 2:13 PM ]
Originally posted by RTFirefly:

Looks like 2017 only from the week #'s listed at the top of the two columns.

5 weeks vs 12 will always net you a better average, no?

Could we pull our 4 best statistical weeks from weeks 1-12 and get a better average?

Could we pull our 4 best statistical weeks from weeks 1-12 and get a better average?

No. 5 weeks will give you a greater chance of deviation from the norm, not necessarily a better average (unless they were cherrypicked). They could be better; they could be worse. Those 5 weeks weren't cherrypicked; they were Jimmy G.'s 5 games.

With Hoyer and CJ, you'd be hard-pressed to find 5 cherrypicked games that match or surpass Jimmy G.'s stats. I seriously doubt it's possible.

No. 5 weeks will give you a greater chance of deviation from the norm, not necessarily a better average (unless they were cherrypicked). They could be better; they could be worse. Those 5 weeks weren't cherrypicked; they were Jimmy G.'s 5 games.

But couldn't we take a 5 week sample from any QB in the nfl for a better average?

How about the three games from last year? What was JG's average from those three games?

I am just curious, not a JG hater

But couldn't we take a 5 week sample from any QB in the nfl for a better average?

How about the three games from last year? What was JG's average from those three games?

It completely depends how you select your sample.

Dunno. They weren't bad. Considering that they went all in on Jet in FA, then lost him at the last minute in the preseason, I give Jimmy G. a pass. The offense changed at the 11th hour. Plus we faced two defending division champs on their fields, and my opinion is that last season's 3 games didn't mean much statistically.

Here's the breakdown for 2018:

Originally posted by Niners816:
Just for the hell of it, here were the offensive numbers splits based on starting QB
Jimmy G (3 games)
YPG - 359.7
Pass - 207.0
Rush - 152.7
PPG - 24.3
CJ (5 Games)
YPG - 341.4
Pass - 219.2
Rush - 122.2
PPG - 20.0
Mullens (8 games)
YPG - 372.9
Pass - 268.8
Rush - 104.1
PPG - 21.1

2017 and 2018 gives Jimmy G an 8 game sample that has averaged 391 ypg with 27.1 ppg.

Just for the hell of it, here were the offensive numbers splits based on starting QB
Jimmy G (3 games)
YPG - 359.7
Pass - 207.0
Rush - 152.7
PPG - 24.3
CJ (5 Games)
YPG - 341.4
Pass - 219.2
Rush - 122.2
PPG - 20.0
Mullens (8 games)
YPG - 372.9
Pass - 268.8
Rush - 104.1
PPG - 21.1

2017 and 2018 gives Jimmy G an 8 game sample that has averaged 391 ypg with 27.1 ppg.

Thanks for doing this, what is your take on these numbers?

It completely depends how you select your sample.

Dunno. They weren't bad. Considering that they went all in on Jet in FA, then lost him at the last minute in the preseason, I give Jimmy G. a pass. The offense changed at the 11th hour. Plus we faced two defending division champs on their fields, and my opinion is that last season's 3 games didn't mean much statistically.

Interesting stuff

Jimmy G (3 games)
YPG - 359.7
Pass - 207.0
Rush - 152.7
PPG - 24.3
CJ (5 Games)
YPG - 341.4
Pass - 219.2
Rush - 122.2
PPG - 20.0
Mullens (8 games)
YPG - 372.9
Pass - 268.8
Rush - 104.1
PPG - 21.1

Thanks for doing this, what is your take on these numbers?

Here's kinda my take on everything. We've seen 32 games with Kyle calling the plays. Games in which a QB not named CJ or Hoyer has started we are 9-7 with an average of 382 ypg and 24.1 ppg. We are 1-15 in the other games.

The offense looked elite with Jimmy in '17 with a roster that wasn't close to being elite. I would also argue that given the injuries....the offense we've fielded in games with Jimmy and Nick has far suppassed the talent on roster.
Here's kinda my take on everything. We've seen 32 games with Kyle calling the plays. Games in which a QB not named CJ or Hoyer has started we are 9-7 with an average of 382 ypg and 24.1 ppg. We are 1-15 in the other games.

The offense looked elite with Jimmy in '17 with a roster that wasn't close to being elite. I would also argue that given the injuries....the offense we've fielded in games with Jimmy and Nick has far suppassed the talent on roster.

Great post and I think it rings true, we just look like a really good team with Jimmy, a decent one with Mullens and an average one with CJ or Hoyer.

Here's hoping for a healthy full year of the saviour.
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:

Great post and I think it rings true, we just look like a really good team with Jimmy, a decent one with Mullens and an average one with CJ or Hoyer.

Here's hoping for a healthy full year of the saviour.

+1
Originally posted by genus49:
I really hope the pass rush additions on D give us the results we all want even with Saleh. But I've seen a couple of people bring up Harbaugh being a great defensive coach...

Harbaugh was brought in here for his offensive system and being the so called QB whisperer. One of the things Harbaugh did great was bring in the right guys on defense - Vic Fangio was the key to that puzzle(very curious how his loss affects Chicago) finding the right DC doesn't make someone a great defensive coach.

Sean McVay is not a great defensive coach because he was able to get Wade Phillips.

People seem to forget that Saleh was not Kyle's first choice. Unfortunately for us the situation was one that saw us hiring staff late in the game. if I recall correctly Saleh was the 3rd option but I could be wrong on that.

I was hoping for a new DC myself this year but I do understand the thought process behind not making that type of change when the personnel really hasn't been there and I'm very hopeful that the additions and subtractions that we made on the defensive coaching side of the ball, along with the personnel additions will see us take a MAJOR jump forward on that side of the ball.

Where I will make a comparison between Kyle and Harbaugh is I trust Kyle's X's and O's much more. Harbaugh obviously is very proficient there as well as a former QB and HC but Kyle is on another level so even when it comes to the defense knowing how the offense can attack a D helps the D prepare better as a result.

So perfect world if you have the right staff behind you I like where we are with Kyle but he has to prove that if the talent is there that he can get that extra out of them that Harbaugh was great at doing.

There is certainly a question of whether Kyle's ideal team setup is a fit to win SBs. Harbaugh's ideal team setup is built for that...even if we didn't end up winning it in the end run. And my reasoning behind that is Kyle's teams are designed to be more athletic/smaller where Jim's teams were power, force your will on the other team. That's typically what you want to see in the playoffs.

I just hope that Kyle learned enough from the Atlanta loss that when we get back to the dance he ensures we walk away with a W to end the season.

Excellent post.....couldn't agree more on all of your points.

Kyle's team building could be something to consider. Harbaugh's failure to win it all is either on coaching or QB, but 3 consecutive NFC championship game appearances (and being competitive in every single one of them) indicates he built the team really damn well.

I would compare what Shanahan's done to what McVay has done with the Rams. I feel that the Rams are the best comp for the 49ers as far as schemes and stuff on offense. I very much feel like the 49ers are better built for playoff football offensively than the Rams.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Jul 7, 2019 at 9:46 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone