There are 345 users in the forums

Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨

Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by RedGoldSquatch:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
To put it succinctly, Kyle is building a more balanced team. Offense, defense, ST. Running and passing. It tries to be varied and all encompassed to deal with different defensive fronts.

Harbaugh piggy back on a power run game and a strong Fangio defense. Passing game rudimentary and stale, when defense put 10 in the box to force out his passing game. It became predictable after a year or 2.

There were many times during Harbaugh's game where we couldn't run the ball. He can run the ball to setup the pass, but couldn't pass the ball to setup the run. He could attack vertically with guys like Vernon, Ginn, Moss. But very limited attack in spacing horizontally.

I see Kyle's offense able to setup, run to pass, pass to run, vertical and horizontal.

We're in good hands with Kyle

Like all fans I loved the Harbaugh era for the win's and excitement but too many times I would find myself with the dreaded feeling that we were going to let games slip away. While my memory may be skewed it seems that just about every time that we actually NEEDED the D to step up at the end of the game that they didn't and let the other team move right down the field. Perhaps it was all the terrible years and the expectation of failure but that's just how it felt at the time. An impending doom that we were going to blow it. Ultimately it proved to be true, against the Seahawks over and over (Sweet Jesus how do you not let Gore touch the ball and go for 3 straight passes on 1st & goal at the 7 yard line?!) or against the Ravens in the Superbowl where we sent the players kids out to play the first half before they turned off the lights and switched jersey's to play in the second. I want a more balanced team that gives hope that they can always make it happen not one where I'm waiting for them to fail.

Harbaugh's plodding and predictable offensive philosophy has a limited shelf life, maybe 3 years. It doesn't mean you can't win with it. But it's a narrow and limited opportunity.

After 3 years in Michigan, he is now turning over the offense to his new OC to do as he will. Which tells me he finally accepted and realized his offense is stale and there are guys smarter than him to slice and dice.

He came into the Niners in 2011, and by 2013 showed signs of staleness. By 2014, it's full blown predictable. At some point, in that 3rd year, the other team will run circles around his plodding offense, like Michigan vs Ohio State.

Being 10-14 pts down is like watching a team scratch and claw, hoping the other team don't score again to put down the death nail. 3rd & 13 seems an impossibility to convert.

With Walsh WCO and Kyle's offense, 3rd&13 has a better chance of converting with a 15yds pass. And being 14pts down doesn't seemed like a death nail. Watching Kyle's offense brings me back to the Walsh era.

I guess some fans have only Harbaugh's offense as a winning reference to hold a comparison. But if you are one of the older fans, the difference is night and day between Kyle's neo WCO and Harbaugh's.


I remember telling Michigan fans when they hired Harbaugh not to get too excited because his act gets tired even if it works much better in college where most players are out in 3-4 years. They blasted me saying I was just bitter that he wasn't coaching the 9ers anymore.

Many of them have apologized to me by now.

I kind of want to see him back in the NFL to show how what happened here was a perfect recipe for success and Harbaugh while a good coach for the right team isn't some Walsh/Belichick type or even a Shanahan type.

Harbaugh is the winning type like Walsh or Belichick.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Harbaugh is the winning type like Walsh or Belichick.

huh? Harbaugh hasn't won anything compared to those two.

Harbs is more Marty Schottenheimer or a lesser Marv Levy then a Walsh or Belichick IMO.

Dude doesn't win the big games.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Harbaugh is the winning type like Walsh or Belichick.

huh? Harbaugh hasn't won anything compared to those two.

Harbs is more Marty Schottenheimer or a lesser Marv Levy then a Walsh or Belichick IMO.

Dude doesn't win the big games.

This.

I can assure you Walsh or Belichick wouldn't have lost that SB to the Ravens with the talent we had. Especially not with the inside info they would've had coaching against their own brother.

When Walsh or Belichick have a talent advantage they don't lose games to inferior rosters.
Originally posted by Giedi:
The Atlanta offense sure misses Kyle.

The Atlanta Falcons haven't managed to recapture the magic that helped them build a 28-3 lead in Super Bowl 51. Overall, they Falcons have gone 17-15 over the past two seasons with a 1-1 playoff record since that fateful collapse against the Patriots in February of 2017.
Matt Ryan hasn't quite reached the same absurd heights that he managed to achieve with Kyle Shanahan orchestrating the offense in 2016, but there's plenty of factors working in the offense's favor entering 2019.
https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/matt-ryan-fantasy-football-qbs-mvp-2019
.

I know a very annoying Falcons fan from another board I post on who I'm pretty sure lost his sanity after a certain SB collapse who tries to pretend Matt Ryan is an elite QB and how last year's production by Ryan proves he doesn't need Shanahan.

Problem is you step back and realize the Falcons are using the Colts formula of success with Manning - throw the book at him on offense.

Julio Jones top 5 in the NFL no question. Many can argue he's #1.

Then you have Mohamad Sanu, Calvin Ridley and Austin Hooper with pretty good receiving backs in Coleman and Ito Smith(i liked him a lot in the draft)

It's not the scheme at this point but the talent. In 2016 Kyle didn't have quite the level of talent at WR, Ridley >>> Taylor Gabriel & Aldrick Robinson but the production per play was way more explosive.

If we can just stay healthy on this team we'll see our production sky rocket. Really hope we start seeing that this season.
Originally posted by genus49:
This.

I can assure you Walsh or Belichick wouldn't have lost that SB to the Ravens with the talent we had. Especially not with the inside info they would've had coaching against their own brother.

When Walsh or Belichick have a talent advantage they don't lose games to inferior rosters.

agreed...I got nothing against Harbs, I didn't want to see him go (especially for JT). I'm not gonna say he was something more than he actually was though.

Good coach, who could surround himself with a great coaching staff. Seemed to be a guy players would go to battle for (at least in the short-term).
Not a very creative offensive mind. Lacked in game planning and making adjustments. He was loyal to a fault and I wouldn't say he was very good at evaluating players.

IMHO he's a college coach, who can recruit, and gets kids to "buy in" on the short-term. Is what it is.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Harbaugh is the winning type like Walsh or Belichick.

huh? Harbaugh hasn't won anything compared to those two.

Harbs is more Marty Schottenheimer or a lesser Marv Levy then a Walsh or Belichick IMO.

Dude doesn't win the big games.
that seems like an odd criticism in the Shanahan thread.
Originally posted by genus49:
I know a very annoying Falcons fan from another board I post on who I'm pretty sure lost his sanity after a certain SB collapse who tries to pretend Matt Ryan is an elite QB and how last year's production by Ryan proves he doesn't need Shanahan.

Problem is you step back and realize the Falcons are using the Colts formula of success with Manning - throw the book at him on offense.

Julio Jones top 5 in the NFL no question. Many can argue he's #1.

Then you have Mohamad Sanu, Calvin Ridley and Austin Hooper with pretty good receiving backs in Coleman and Ito Smith(i liked him a lot in the draft)

It's not the scheme at this point but the talent. In 2016 Kyle didn't have quite the level of talent at WR, Ridley >>> Taylor Gabriel & Aldrick Robinson but the production per play was way more explosive.

If we can just stay healthy on this team we'll see our production sky rocket. Really hope we start seeing that this season.

I've argued with ATL fans on twitter over all this for a yr or so. Just dumb.

Matty "ice" Ryan isn't a clutch as their fans would like to believe IMO. They got talent all over that field and Kyle used it properly and efficiently. (#2 overall offense/#3 passing/#5 rushing)

That Falcons D gave up 26.4 pt/per game last yr...I gotta assume Ryan would have inflated stats because they had to throw it a ton (top 5)....for having a defensive minded guru as HC their D has been poop since he's gotten there.

During that SB run with Kyle Matt Ryan avg 10.1 Y/P and had 74 less attempts than this past season. His TD% was 7.1 that yr vs this past season at 5.8%. Dude had to throw the ball almost 75 more times to get comparable yards and TDs.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
that seems like an odd criticism in the Shanahan thread.

I just commented on the post above about Harbs...I don't know why people are talking about him in this thread?

I also didn't compare Kyle to Harbs, let alone two of the best HCs in NFL history
If you like Harbaugh's winning offense, go watch Michigan. If you want neo WCO back in San Francisco, built upon 3 generations of men -- Walsh>Mike Shanahan>Kyle Shanahan-- watch the Niners.

Oh wait, Harbaugh couldn't win with his offense either. He's turning it over to some other guy so he can keep his prime job in Michigan.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jul 1, 2019 at 7:13 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
If you like Harbaugh's winning offense, go watch Michigan. If you want neo WCO back in San Francisco, built upon 3 generations of men -- Walsh>Mike Shanahan>Kyle Shanahan-- watch the Niners.

Oh wait, Harbaugh couldn't win with his offense either. He's turning it over to some other guy so he can keep his prime job in Michigan.

I like watching the 49ers win games and complete in the playoffs.

Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Harbaugh is the winning type like Walsh or Belichick.

I wish he was.

He was a tempest in a teapot. We are on the right track now For long-term winning ways.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
that seems like an odd criticism in the Shanahan thread.

I just commented on the post above about Harbs...I don't know why people are talking about him in this thread?

I also didn't compare Kyle to Harbs, let alone two of the best HCs in NFL history

It was originally contrasting the difference between watching Harbaugh's offense with Kyle's WCO. The limited shelf life and attack of Haraugh's offense, or the proven longevity and diversity of attack of the WCO.

But it somehow triggered people's love for Harbaugh.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
If you like Harbaugh's winning offense, go watch Michigan. If you want neo WCO back in San Francisco, built upon 3 generations of men -- Walsh>Mike Shanahan>Kyle Shanahan-- watch the Niners.

Oh wait, Harbaugh couldn't win with his offense either. He's turning it over to some other guy so he can keep his prime job in Michigan.

I like watching the 49ers win games and complete in the playoffs.

You don't see the Niners heading that way?

Do you see the Niners getting worse this year?
Originally posted by genus49:
This.

I can assure you Walsh or Belichick wouldn't have lost that SB to the Ravens with the talent we had. Especially not with the inside info they would've had coaching against their own brother.

When Walsh or Belichick have a talent advantage they don't lose games to inferior rosters.

Nothing wrong with having an opinion, I'd even agree with it, but you certainly cannot assure it. Assure means "certain to happen". How exactly can you assure that we would have won that SB with Walsh or Belichick?
I'd agree that it is very probable, but I'm calling BS that you can assure the outcome. That's just not true.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 106,485
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
If you like Harbaugh's winning offense, go watch Michigan. If you want neo WCO back in San Francisco, built upon 3 generations of men -- Walsh>Mike Shanahan>Kyle Shanahan-- watch the Niners.

Oh wait, Harbaugh couldn't win with his offense either. He's turning it over to some other guy so he can keep his prime job in Michigan.

It's been 5 years and ya'll still can't let that dude go?

What I do know is the 49ers haven't won a game in the eastern time zone since 2014 @ the Giants. Maybe just worry about catching a W @ TB to start this season? Gotta start somewhere.
Share 49erswebzone