Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Jimmy's quick release and Deebo's quickness off the line

[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jun 24, 2019 at 6:56 AM ]
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by ninerjok:
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
No doubt, I mean I feel like Kyle's almost next level though. Other teams run the WCO and he's getting almost 2x the YAC

It's fun to watch....even when Homer and CJ were s**tting the bed in 2017 you could still see dudes just wide open. It's not a fluke that when the QB has been good the offense has been crazy explosive. Imagine what an offense looks like healthy👀

Im so excited.

And I just can't hide it. I'm about to lose control and I think I like it.

I think this season could be like 11. I can't effin wait man. Super excited.

I feel exactly the same way.

All I ask is for health and protection for our guys. The rest I have faith Kyle and Jimmy can execute.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by tankle104:
I don't think Kyle will be fired if he doesn't have a good season W/L wise, but I think he will start to the lose the locker room if he we don't win at least 8 games this year. People will start to question his methods, at least I think so.

Only way that happens is if we get injured badly again, otherwise this is a 10 win team

Nice to be optimistic but 10 wins? I see at least 9 games on our schedule that we will be underdogs. Let's say we win one or two of those. That would be 9-7 if we don't blow any of the other 7 games that we will probably be favored to win. That's not likely in the NFL. I'd love to see 10 wins but that's asking a lot from a team with so many question marks.

Agree. Until the team actually wins 10+ games, they are what they are last year - with just better personnel. Having said that, I'm really optimistic this season that we'll win more games than last year.

Doing it by opponents, I see 10 or 11:

W Bucs...turmoil, no QB,

W Bengals ..no way kyle loses to Bengals.

L. Steelers , but maybe a tossup. Lost RB, WR, and got new RB. . Ben can't last forever. Later in season we win. Now, i think Steelers.

W. Browns...no way we lose to Browns. We're better at WR, TEs, RB, QB, DL. LBs. OTs/

L. Rams...we are way better than last yr. and Rams lost 2 starter OLs. Gurley hurt and ?? We are still getting acquainted but lose first game to rams, win the 2nd.

W. Redskins...out coach them and have better RB, WRs, DL, QB, OTs, TEs, . Kyle knows their playbook, both O and D.

W Panthers...not impressed with Cam who has new throwing motion. We outcoach them on O, they do same on D. We win but barely.

W. CArds..we beat Cards twice. Not a fan of KK and his 25-35 W/L in college. Mahommes was talent, not KK. Cards are a messed up franchise. All stars are old or near retirement.

L. SEA. We lose there, win here....but dont beat them twice. Last yr broke the jinx up there...and we STILL got Bosa. Thank you AZ...and esp KK.

W. CArds...how many ways can i say i am not a fan of Murray. We outcoach them, Like us two yrs ago, they got holes everywhere. Signing murray messed them up. Shoulda taken Q.

L. Packers...toss up game . Our D has had time to play together, but ARodgers beats us. D needs more time together. Same for OL. LBs, WR, TEs, all better, Prob a loss but ???

W. Ravens...new QB, older team, not sold on Lamar, and sure don't like their OC...Roman.. Good luck Ravens....We outcoach them big time on O. On D, Harbaw outcoaches us.

L. Saints. This late w are ready for them but they almost won trip to SB last yr. Really should have gone. They are experienced, and better.

W. Falcons... we outcoach them for starters, and i like our QB better. Kyle knows the O and D playbook..They still have studs at WR, good running game, but we win in a squeaker.

W. Rams...thi is our 2nd game against them and kyle outcoaches McVay. Our OL surprises and equals theirs, minus two starters. They have a better DC.

W...SEA. Not sure which game is where, but we win here, lose there. RW is great but they lost a ton of players. Plus we split last yr with no team.. 19 guys on IR. Not this yr tho.

So, splits with SEA and Rams, loss to Saints, ARodgers, maybe loss to Steelers, and possible loss to either Skins or Panthers. That gives us 5 to 6 Ls.

If team has 1/3 of players on IR, then we dont win 50%. If jimmyG goes down, then Mullie gets us 9 Ws.

Healthy, mostly....we win 10, maybe 11..
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jun 25, 2019 at 6:46 AM ]
Just wanted to say that over the past week or so I've been watching playoff games from our 2011 - 2013 playoff run and I'm convinced that Harbaugh and all of that was fool's gold resulting from a loaded defensive roster and a gimmicky offense. Michael Crabtree was a mediocre receiver and we under-utilized Randy Moss when we had him in 2012. We won due to sheer defensive prowess and a brute force offense that only looked good in spurts. Compared to Shanny's offense, those games are boring as hell to watch unless you're just being fueled by the nostalgia of fool's gold. As soon as the defense that Harbaugh and Fangio ran into the ground started to fall apart, so did the team. If you want to see a team like this, look at the Rams. An overhyped rah rah coach winning via brute force and squandering the prime years of his star players. When faced with a competent coach and scheme, the team falls apart.

The turmoil from 2014-2016 was a blessing in disguise. We landed Shanahan and we're building a team the right way from scratch and built for long-term dominance. This year's Niner team is a second round playoff team that will be scary the following season. It's beautiful. There's absolutely no hype surrounding this team this season but people will find out soon enough. We have some young players heading into their prime and that's a recipe for a nice dominant run if the coaches manage it well.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Just wanted to say that over the past week or so I've been watching playoff games from our 2011 - 2013 playoff run and I'm convinced that Harbaugh and all of that was fool's gold resulting from a loaded defensive roster and a gimmicky offense. Michael Crabtree was a mediocre receiver and we under-utilized Randy Moss when we had him in 2012. We won due to sheer defensive prowess and a brute force offense that only looked good in spurts. Compared to Shanny's offense, those games are boring as hell to watch unless you're just being fueled by the nostalgia of fool's gold. As soon as the defense that Harbaugh and Fangio ran into the ground started to fall apart, so did the team. If you want to see a team like this, look at the Rams. An overhyped rah rah coach winning via brute force and squandering the prime years of his star players. When faced with a competent coach and scheme, the team falls apart.

The turmoil from 2014-2016 was a blessing in disguise. We landed Shanahan and we're building a team the right way from scratch and built for long-term dominance. This year's Niner team is a second round playoff team that will be scary the following season. It's beautiful. There's absolutely no hype surrounding this team this season but people will find out soon enough. We have some young players heading into their prime and that's a recipe for a nice dominant run if the coaches manage it well.

To put it succinctly, Kyle is building a more balanced team. Offense, defense, ST. Running and passing. It tries to be varied and all encompassed to deal with different defensive fronts.

Harbaugh piggy back on a power run game and a strong Fangio defense. Passing game rudimentary and stale, when defense put 10 in the box to force out his passing game. It became predictable after a year or 2.

There were many times during Harbaugh's game where we couldn't run the ball. He can run the ball to setup the pass, but couldn't pass the ball to setup the run. He could attack vertically with guys like Vernon, Ginn, Moss. But very limited attack in spacing horizontally.

I see Kyle's offense able to setup, run to pass, pass to run, vertical and horizontal.

We're in good hands with Kyle
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

To put it succinctly, Kyle is building a more balanced team. Offense, defense, ST. Running and passing. It tries to be varied and all encompassed to deal with different defensive fronts.

Harbaugh piggy back on a power run game and a strong Fangio defense. Passing game rudimentary and stale, when defense put 10 in the box to force out his passing game. It became predictable after a year or 2.

There were many times during Harbaugh's game where we couldn't run the ball. He can run the ball to setup the pass, but couldn't pass the ball to setup the run. He could attack vertically with guys like Vernon, Ginn, Moss. But very limited attack in spacing horizontally.

I see Kyle's offense able to setup, run to pass, pass to run, vertical and horizontal.

I really disliked Harbaugh's offense, and still do to this day. His Michigan U offense is basically Bo Shembechler's power off tackle offense. Pretty pathetic in this day in the age of passing football that he can't move his philosophy to adjust to the times.
Originally posted by Giedi:

I really disliked Harbaugh's offense, and still do to this day. His Michigan U offense is basically Bo Shembechler's power off tackle offense. Pretty pathetic in this day in the age of passing football that he can't move his philosophy to adjust to the times.
You are correct, sir.

Everything you said is
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day" - Stephen Hunt, The Court of the Air

I know, I know it's Grant, but I think many of us have been talking about this. The analysis is sound even though the messenger may not be.

"Shanahan's mastery of the big play is one reason some football analysts predict the 49ers will make the playoffs after winning just four games in 2018. But big plays alone probably won't determine how successful the 49ers will be next season.

The most important stat for Shanahan is his red-zone touchdown percentage. Always has been. Always will be. Since he became an NFL offensive coordinator in 2008, his offenses have ranked in the top 16 out of 32 teams in red-zone scoring percentage just three times — in 2009 with the Houston Texans, in 2012 with the Washington Redskins and in 2016 with the Atlanta Falcons. And those were the only seasons his teams had winning records.
Shanahan knows how to drive the ball down the field in an instant, but he still is learning how to finish the drive and put the ball in the end zone consistently."

Last season, when the 49ers had the ball on their side of the field between the 21-yard line and midfield, they averaged a whopping 5.41 yards per carry — fifth best in the NFL. The 49ers' electric running backs had space to run and speed to break away from the defense.
But they lacked the size and power to push their way across the goal line. When the 49ers had the ball inside their opponent's 10-yard line, they averaged just 1.06 yards per carry (second worst in the NFL) and scored just five rushing touchdowns (third worst).

The 49ers also spent their third-round pick this year on a wide receiver who doubles as a short-yardage running back — Jalen Hurd. He's 6-foot-4, 227 pounds, and in 2015 was one of the elite short-yardage backs in college football. Concussions made him less effective and forced him to change positions. Hurd primarily will play wide receiver for the 49ers, but they could use him as a running back near the end zone as well. He might be their best option. So, Shanahan seems to be getting the message.

During OTAs, the 49ers called eight passes for Kittle inside the 20-yard line, and he caught four of them for touchdowns. Last season, they called 18 passes for him in the red zone and he caught just two of them for touchdowns.

If Kittle keeps converting 50% of his red-zone targets into points, the 49ers may be on to something."

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/sports/9736977-181/how-can-49ers-improve-red-zone?sba=AAS
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

W Bucs...turmoil, no QB,

L. Steelers , but maybe a tossup. Lost RB, WR, and got new RB. . Ben can't last forever. Later in season we win. Now, i think Steelers.

W. Browns...no way we lose to Browns. We're better at WR, TEs, RB, QB, DL. LBs. OTs/

L. Rams...we are way better than last yr. and Rams lost 2 starter OLs. Gurley hurt and ?? We are still getting acquainted but lose first game to rams, win the 2nd.

W. Redskins...out coach them and have better RB, WRs, DL, QB, OTs, TEs, . Kyle knows their playbook, both O and D.

W Panthers...not impressed with Cam who has new throwing motion. We outcoach them on O, they do same on D. We win but barely.

W. CArds..we beat Cards twice. Not a fan of KK and his 25-35 W/L in college. Mahommes was talent, not KK. Cards are a messed up franchise. All stars are old or near retirement.

L. SEA. We lose there, win here....but dont beat them twice. Last yr broke the jinx up there...and we STILL got Bosa. Thank you AZ...and esp KK.

W. CArds...how many ways can i say i am not a fan of Murray. We outcoach them, Like us two yrs ago, they got holes everywhere. Signing murray messed them up. Shoulda taken Q.

L. Packers...toss up game . Our D has had time to play together, but ARodgers beats us. D needs more time together. Same for OL. LBs, WR, TEs, all better, Prob a loss but ???

W. Ravens...new QB, older team, not sold on Lamar, and sure don't like their OC...Roman.. Good luck Ravens....We outcoach them big time on O. On D, Harbaw outcoaches us.

L. Saints. This late w are ready for them but they almost won trip to SB last yr. Really should have gone. They are experienced, and better.

W. Falcons... we outcoach them for starters, and i like our QB better. Kyle knows the O and D playbook..They still have studs at WR, good running game, but we win in a squeaker.

W. Rams...thi is our 2nd game against them and kyle outcoaches McVay. Our OL surprises and equals theirs, minus two starters. They have a better DC.

W...SEA. Not sure which game is where, but we win here, lose there. RW is great but they lost a ton of players. Plus we split last yr with no team.. 19 guys on IR. Not this yr tho.

So, splits with SEA and Rams, loss to Saints, ARodgers, maybe loss to Steelers, and possible loss to either Skins or Panthers. That gives us 5 to 6 Ls.

If team has 1/3 of players on IR, then we dont win 50%. If jimmyG goes down, then Mullie gets us 9 Ws.

It all looks good on paper but like you stated health is an issue and it's rare for a team to avoid injuries all year. Especially this team. You also know that most teams usually lose a couple of games that they should have won. So many games are 3 or 4 points or less that it's hard to see the Niners winning all the close ones considering they have such a hard time getting TD's in the red zone. That's why I see them between 7 and 9 wins depending on how those close games shake out.

Like all fans I loved the Harbaugh era for the win's and excitement but too many times I would find myself with the dreaded feeling that we were going to let games slip away. While my memory may be skewed it seems that just about every time that we actually NEEDED the D to step up at the end of the game that they didn't and let the other team move right down the field. Perhaps it was all the terrible years and the expectation of failure but that's just how it felt at the time. An impending doom that we were going to blow it. Ultimately it proved to be true, against the Seahawks over and over (Sweet Jesus how do you not let Gore touch the ball and go for 3 straight passes on 1st & goal at the 7 yard line?!) or against the Ravens in the Superbowl where we sent the players kids out to play the first half before they turned off the lights and switched jersey's to play in the second. I want a more balanced team that gives hope that they can always make it happen not one where I'm waiting for them to fail.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

W Bucs...turmoil, no QB,

It all looks good on paper but like you stated health is an issue and it's rare for a team to avoid injuries all year. Especially this team. You also know that most teams usually lose a couple of games that they should have won. So many games are 3 or 4 points or less that it's hard to see the Niners winning all the close ones considering they have such a hard time getting TD's in the red zone. That's why I see them between 7 and 9 wins depending on how those close games shake out.
Well the most important thing is to put points on the board. Whether it be from the red zone or the green zone.

The Patriots do great in the red zone because they've been playing together forever. The QB they got ain't too shabby in the red zone either.

It's important to be able to run the ball in the red zone as well as pass it too.
Kyle = GOD,

Kyle's game plannin' and play callin' will win 4-5 games. If the defense shapes up, that will add 3-4 wins. Now we have Jimmy, that's our future HOF QB, if Jimmy is healthy, his quick release along adds 2-3 games.

Add them up, we should win 9 games in the worst case, or 12 games if all goes well.

Personally I won't settle anything less than 10 wins.

Go 9ers.
Let me know when Shanahan matches Harbaugh's accomplishments as a HC.

No need to crap on Harbaugh to try to prop up Shanahan. Results are what matters.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Let me know when Shanahan matches Harbaugh's accomplishments as a HC.

No need to crap on Harbaugh to try to prop up Shanahan. Results are what matters.

people deny they are doing this.. but in fact. thats exactly what they are doing. the kyle is god talk is silly. he is just a coach who so far has proven more as a oc than as a head coach. when our team wins a road game then i may start going to the church of kyle. people can set there and talk about the roster jh had and the one kyle had and has. but two coaches before jh had mostly the same roster and did s**t.
Share 49erswebzone