There are 258 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
No need to trash Roman to build up Kyle

Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Anyone who criticizes Harbaugh in this
Thread is making it that. Their whole point is to try to show Shanahan > Harbaugh.

People did the same with Chip and Jimmy T.

I'm sorry that's reaching my man.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Thread is making it that. Their whole point is to try to show Shanahan > Harbaugh.

I'm sorry that's reaching my man.

criticizing is one thing. there's is no reason to even talk about him in this thread. one guy has been a HC for 15 years the other for 3. no comparison and one has nothing to do with the other.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Well anytime you lose your starting QB, the roster will take a hit. I have no problem with Kyle's coaching. Definitely one of the best in terms of play design. Where I struggle at times are with personnel choices, but that may not all be on him and the more I read, the more it becomes evident to me whoever is running pro-player personnel needs to be watched. I can't ever remember a time when most of a team's FAs came to their new team with such extensive injury history. I agree, the team must get healthy, but part of that IMHO is not taking players who come with problems maintaining their availability. I'm not so much worried about money spent because thanks to Praag, we don't commit a ton if a player doesn't pan out. However, stability is just as important and if you're always shifting players because (Jimmy Ward for example) is out again and forces someone else into the starting lineup who didn't get all the TC reps, I'd rather cut the injury-prone player and move forward with developing people who are less likely to become hurt. Is that a guarantee that players who have never been injured will be injured? Of course not and I think making the argument that one never knows is very different than making the argument that players who are proven to be injury prone will have the same injury frequency as a player who isn't.

Putting together a less injury-prone roster for me should be the goal, then we can talk about talent.

As for the Harbaugh argument, his situation to me is closer to Sean McVay's than Kyles. Harbs joined a team that had talent everywhere and was just missing a couple of pieces (CB, safety, Edge). First overall QB, incredible RB, stout and talented OL, decent WRs, the fastest TE in the league, and on D he had crazy talented front 7, and a pretty decent secondary. The team really only needed sound coaching and direction (not named Mike Singletary). The one super-power Harbaugh had was his ability to recruit really good coaches.

I agree with all of this!

I will say one big reason players become FAs (teams don't resign) is because of health issues. I do agree health should be of concern overall.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Why are you trying to make it team Shanahan vs team Harbs?

It's funny I've always viewed football from an offensive viewpoint (I just love the offensive side of the ball). Because of this I've always really been tied to whoever the playcaller was. IMO, Kyle is easily the best playcaller we've had in 20 years. So in my own little ranking it's always been:

Walsh
Mike Shanahan
Mike Holmgren

I feel like these are the best coaches we've had with my bias view of offense in our building. Now including Defense, Seifert and Vic get a spot. Harbaugh gets a ton of credit from me for coaching up Alex and his early work with Kap but the offense never took that next step. He was not the WCO guru I was hoping and while I thoroughly enjoyed watching his Stanford offense and ours it was always left lacking.

Kyle's never had the same QB for more than 2 years and regardless of this fact he's never called plays for an offense that's gained less than 5000. I just feel like if he ever gets sustained QB play for multiple years he can do some real special things. Now give him a top 5-10 type defense and I do think that's a formula that will win a title.

agreed!
Originally posted by SoCold:
criticizing is one thing. there's is no reason to even talk about him in this thread. one guy has been a HC for 15 years the other for 3. no comparison and one has nothing to do with the other.

I'm not the one who brought it up...I saw someone say Harbs in the same sentence with Walsh and Bill Belichick and commented ( disagreed) on that.

you brought up Harbs in the same sentence as Walsh and Belichick
Originally posted by genus49:
The Shanahan situation and Harbaugh situation are apples and oranges and simply should not be compared.

The team Shanahan took over after 2016 was awful and devoid of talent you can really build around outside of Buckner, Joe Staley, Trent Brown(talent wise, not scheme wise obviously)

Look back at 2010 at the building block players when Harbaugh took over

Gore, Staley(much younger version), Mike Iupati, Anthony Davis, Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis, Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Justin Smith, Ray McDonald.

That doesn't even include the fact that we had Alex Smith already on the roster so we didn't have to draft QB early. Had an early round pick to invest in a loaded pass rusher class.

Situations so different it's crazy.

I would have to agree with this, with a caveat. There were not many of us here, upon Harbaugh's hiring, that thought the players you just mentioned were that good. They had, in a sense, underperformed under Nolan and Singletary. While it's true that some of them, including Alex Smith, had shown "flashes" of ability, none of us even dreamed he would become as good as he became under Harbaugh. I'd have to put Vernon Davis in that same category. His first three years in the league were nothing special, until Singletary put a charge into him and after that he was a changed player. Although Crabtree had his moments pre-Harbaugh, he didn't really blossom into the threat he would become under Harbaugh.

I do agree with you that the talent was there. But it took someone like Harbaugh to bring it out. Shanahan and Lynch, however, inheirited a far different team. There was far less talent. Although they've stumbled with at least one top pick (Foster), I feel they've done well with others. Both Lynch and Shanahan appear to be very adept at finding talent in the middle rounds, a trait that Bill Walsh had and exploited.

Remember, Walsh didn't build a winner until his third season. You could see it coming, however. I feel the same way when it comes to Shanahan. He's not there yet. But you can see that better days are ahead. Hopefully, those better days start this season.

you brought up Harbs in the same sentence as Walsh and Belichick

LOL, nope. I responded to a post comparing Harbs, Shanahan, Walsh and Belichik.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
I would have to agree with this, with a caveat. There were not many of us here, upon Harbaugh's hiring, that thought the players you just mentioned were that good. They had, in a sense, underperformed under Nolan and Singletary. While it's true that some of them, including Alex Smith, had shown "flashes" of ability, none of us even dreamed he would become as good as he became under Harbaugh. I'd have to put Vernon Davis in that same category. His first three years in the league were nothing special, until Singletary put a charge into him and after that he was a changed player. Although Crabtree had his moments pre-Harbaugh, he didn't really blossom into the threat he would become under Harbaugh.

I do agree with you that the talent was there. But it took someone like Harbaugh to bring it out. Shanahan and Lynch, however, inheirited a far different team. There was far less talent. Although they've stumbled with at least one top pick (Foster), I feel they've done well with others. Both Lynch and Shanahan appear to be very adept at finding talent in the middle rounds, a trait that Bill Walsh had and exploited.

Remember, Walsh didn't build a winner until his third season. You could see it coming, however. I feel the same way when it comes to Shanahan. He's not there yet. But you can see that better days are ahead. Hopefully, those better days start this season.

agree with most of this...I will say part of the issue for Kyle heading into SF was how poorly we drafted yrs prior. There was nothing to work with, zip. You gotta believe Kyle wouldn't have moved half of those guys that Jim started out with.

totally different scenarios and a reason why people shouldn't be comparing either guy IMO

Originally posted by billbird2111:

agree with most of this...I will say part of the issue for Kyle heading into SF was how poorly we drafted yrs prior. There was nothing to work with, zip. You gotta believe Kyle wouldn't have moved half of those guys that Jim started out with.

totally different scenarios and a reason why people shouldn't be comparing either guy IMO

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by mojave45:
So apparently saying JH is a "very good coach" while mentioning his very real shortcomings is now a form of hate and derision. Looking at his a tenure objectively is now an automatic endorsement of other coaches. Niner Talk gets ever stranger.

It's been that way every year since he left. There's a segment of the fan base that can't wrap their heads around the idea that Harbaugh had flaws. So pointing them out is hating. Wu made a living out of it talking how the 9ers were doomed for the next decade.

When Harbaugh had a crap roster at Stanford he lost a lot. Why should I believe he'd do better with this team? Because he turned around the team that should won 10 or 11 games in 2010 based on talent? It's apples to oranges.

When people start throwing out kyle is the best coach we have had since george and i look at our results since he has been here,, thats crazy talk. kyle has earned very little to me. what would some posters do if they did not have the injury excuse to hide behind. i think its very nice and over optimistic of me to say this is an 8 win team this year. oh and whoever said last year was a 9 win team with jimmy was crazy in my opinion
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Well at least Shanahan is better than Greg Roman.

agree
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I don't know because he was fired over clashing personalities.

The only reason Harbaugh gets criticized in the Shanahan thread is to prop up Shanahan.

exactly...
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by mojave45:
So apparently saying JH is a "very good coach" while mentioning his very real shortcomings is now a form of hate and derision. Looking at his a tenure objectively is now an automatic endorsement of other coaches. Niner Talk gets ever stranger.

It's been that way every year since he left. There's a segment of the fan base that can't wrap their heads around the idea that Harbaugh had flaws. So pointing them out is hating. Wu made a living out of it talking how the 9ers were doomed for the next decade.

When Harbaugh had a crap roster at Stanford he lost a lot. Why should I believe he'd do better with this team? Because he turned around the team that should won 10 or 11 games in 2010 based on talent? It's apples to oranges.

When people start throwing out kyle is the best coach we have had since george and i look at our results since he has been here,, thats crazy talk. kyle has earned very little to me. what would some posters do if they did not have the injury excuse to hide behind. i think its very nice and over optimistic of me to say this is an 8 win team this year. oh and whoever said last year was a 9 win team with jimmy was crazy in my opinion

Nowhere, except in your own mind, did any of that get said or alluded to in my post that you responded to. Not once. This is getting pathetic.
Share 49ersWebzone