There are 129 users in the forums

Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨

Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by mojave45:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Now Simms chiming in. Lovely

I still think Kirk is a damn good QB...not sure Minn had the right dude calling plays last yr. Anyway I love this for JG, let the dude sweat a little he needs to prove the doubters wrong

Let's just hope we see JG for an entire season. I am still convinced he was a better choice than Cousins,but that isn't a knock on Kirk.

Cousins has the better arm. I think Jimmy is better tho. No one has a more quick release than he does.

I still think Kirk is a damn good QB...not sure Minn had the right dude calling plays last yr. Anyway I love this for JG, let the dude sweat a little he needs to prove the doubters wrong

Let's just hope we see JG for an entire season. I am still convinced he was a better choice than Cousins,but that isn't a knock on Kirk.

I have enough Redskins' fans friends that hate Cousins with a passion you guys would not believe. For a guy who wasn't really a bum by any means, that's saying A LOT. The guy statistically was better than quite a few QBs in the NFL who never would have received such hate. There's something a bit off with him, and if the 49ers were forced to go with Cousins because of some unfortunate circumstances, I could get behind him........but you get the feeling you're gonna need Fangio back and a few more all pros on the defense to win a Super Bowl.....

Here's one thing I think we can all agree on:

Cousins lacks the clutch gene. Seemingly he hasn't inspired confidence in fans he can win big games........failed to get the Redskins in the playoffs in 2016 when the Giants beat them in a meaningless game.....for the Giants. He hasn't lived up to the contract in Minnesota.....the 2017 Vikings with Keenum were not paying top dollar for a QB.

So yes, technically speaking Cousins has accumulated stats for quite a few years now and has had some big games for sure. But the Skins gave up on him and preferred Alex Smith, so not so sure Shanahan and McVay could see Cousins as a BETTER QB than the ones they have now. I would definitely say that if the Rams didn't have Goff and Cousins was available in 2017, both coaches would have definitely chased Cousins (even if Jimmy G was available for trade, which he wasn't). The "known" usually outweighs the "unknown with potential"......but now we've seen a bit from both QBs (even Jimmy).

Man, I want Jimmy to play 16+ games this year more than anything else I want out of him. More than any particular stat, w/l record, etc...........I just want him to play the entire season so people can STFU about his health and all that crap.

In a weird way, I think I would rather Jimmy play the entire season and maybe not look as all world as we thought, then have him kill it for 9 games at MVP level , hurt for 4 games, comes back and barely miss the playoffs.

Of course, I don't wish anything truly less than JIMMY BEING A f**kING BALLER FOR THE SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS............however in the spirit of prognostication and theories, I'd sign up for Matt Ryan 2015 over another Jimmy G 2017, because Matt Ryan 2016++ is something we could all sign up for.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Cousins has the better arm. I think Jimmy is better tho. No one has a more quick release than he does.

The entire premise of Florio's idea is that it's plausible IF JG stinks it up this year. Obviously if he plays well it's a non issue. But if JG doesn't show progress or can't stay healthy of course it's something that crosses our minds.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
I have enough Redskins' fans friends that hate Cousins with a passion you guys would not believe. For a guy who wasn't really a bum by any means, that's saying A LOT. The guy statistically was better than quite a few QBs in the NFL who never would have received such hate. There's something a bit off with him, and if the 49ers were forced to go with Cousins because of some unfortunate circumstances, I could get behind him........but you get the feeling you're gonna need Fangio back and a few more all pros on the defense to win a Super Bowl.....

Here's one thing I think we can all agree on:

Cousins lacks the clutch gene. Seemingly he hasn't inspired confidence in fans he can win big games........failed to get the Redskins in the playoffs in 2016 when the Giants beat them in a meaningless game.....for the Giants. He hasn't lived up to the contract in Minnesota.....the 2017 Vikings with Keenum were not paying top dollar for a QB.

So yes, technically speaking Cousins has accumulated stats for quite a few years now and has had some big games for sure. But the Skins gave up on him and preferred Alex Smith, so not so sure Shanahan and McVay could see Cousins as a BETTER QB than the ones they have now. I would definitely say that if the Rams didn't have Goff and Cousins was available in 2017, both coaches would have definitely chased Cousins (even if Jimmy G was available for trade, which he wasn't). The "known" usually outweighs the "unknown with potential"......but now we've seen a bit from both QBs (even Jimmy).

Man, I want Jimmy to play 16+ games this year more than anything else I want out of him. More than any particular stat, w/l record, etc...........I just want him to play the entire season so people can STFU about his health and all that crap.

In a weird way, I think I would rather Jimmy play the entire season and maybe not look as all world as we thought, then have him kill it for 9 games at MVP level , hurt for 4 games, comes back and barely miss the playoffs.

Of course, I don't wish anything truly less than JIMMY BEING A f**kING BALLER FOR THE SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS............however in the spirit of prognostication and theories, I'd sign up for Matt Ryan 2015 over another Jimmy G 2017, because Matt Ryan 2016++ is something we could all sign up for.

I want Jimmy G to ball out and not have this convo ever again

That said I really do think Kirk would thrive here.
Shanny looks like Buster Posey lol

• Giedi
  • Veteran

I'd rather have a quick release than a strong arm in Shannys system. With a strong arm, the only difference is Kyle will incorporate more play action.

The WCO's sweet spot is that intermediate range passing, that's why Nick did a credible job as a QB last year despite his arm being a bit below average.

I think the current QB squad is strong and deep, and a Cousins trade takes too much draft capital out of other needed investments better used like on the OLine or Secondary.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I'd rather have a quick release than a strong arm in Shannys system. With a strong arm, the only difference is Kyle will incorporate more play action.

The WCO's sweet spot is that intermediate range passing, that's why Nick did a credible job as a QB last year despite his arm being a bit below average.

I think the current QB squad is strong and deep, and a Cousins trade takes too much draft capital out of other needed investments better used like on the OLine or Secondary.

See I think Jimmy G and Kirk's arm strength are pretty even...Kirk has better deep ball accuracy at this point in his career, that is something that can be improved upon though (JG needs to improve footwork on deep balls).

I wouldn't see SF trading for Kirk...only way I see him on this team is if he's cut and Jimmy G totally s**ts the bed.

Agree and not just quick release but quick reads. The issue about using more capital at QB? Lilke Giedi above, just makes no sense. As far as Jimmy suddenly becoming an overnight lousy QB....not happening.
I want Jimmy G to ball out and not have this convo ever again

That said I really do think Kirk would thrive here.

Really concur with the bolded! FFS, more Niner fans are bearish on Jimmy than they ever were with Kaepernick.....it's nauseating af.

Think Kirk would be fine here too. But a lot of that is not just success previously with Kyle, but just Kyle in general.

Shanahan is an amazing QB centric HC......my buddy who is a Redskins fan with a very sharp mind was talking up Kyle as a genius way back in 2013. He knew back then that Kyle was the reason for RG3's early success. I wish we had Kyle before Harbaugh left the team.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Agree and not just quick release but quick reads. The issue about using more capital at QB? Lilke Giedi above, just makes no sense. As far as Jimmy suddenly becoming an overnight lousy QB....not happening.

Exactly.

Some here have speculated that Jimmy seemingly being better in 2017 than 2018 had more to do with having to play with less on his mind (playbook wise), and of course the first two seasons under Shanahan have seen subpar offensive cohesion in the first half of seasons.

Agreed 100%
Has he been hiding his grays, or did it just popped up in the last presser. 2 years , but he aged like 10.
Really concur with the bolded! FFS, more Niner fans are bearish on Jimmy than they ever were with Kaepernick.....it's nauseating af.

Think Kirk would be fine here too. But a lot of that is not just success previously with Kyle, but just Kyle in general.

Shanahan is an amazing QB centric HC......my buddy who is a Redskins fan with a very sharp mind was talking up Kyle as a genius way back in 2013. He knew back then that Kyle was the reason for RG3's early success. I wish we had Kyle before Harbaugh left the team.
Yeah I think Jimmy G will be fine...he's gonna have his lumps this yr because he simply hasn't had the snaps overall. Fans gotta be patient with him and I don't think they will be because of his paycheck.

Last yr was suppose to be his learning season and grasping the playbook (like Matt Ryan had his 1st season with Kyle) Jimmy G was robbed of that.

Getting hurt early in the season was a blessing overall, but he didn't have much time to rock the scheme either.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

See I think Jimmy G and Kirk's arm strength are pretty even...Kirk has better deep ball accuracy at this point in his career, that is something that can be improved upon though (JG needs to improve footwork on deep balls).

I wouldn't see SF trading for Kirk...only way I see him on this team is if he's cut and Jimmy G totally s**ts the bed.

Good point about arm strength between the two QB's. Kirk's is about 59 mph and Jimmy's about 56 (according to NFL combine numbers)
https://www.ourlads.com/story/default/Quarterback-Ball-Velocity-at-NFL-Combine-2008-2017/10243/dh/

Pretty close in comparison. In addition to footwork, you need much more precise timing on the deep balls and you need to throw it before the WR breaks or uncovers in many cases. Otherwise the DB's can break on the ball and get a pick six. I think Jimmy's problem with the deep balls is more timing and synchronicity than footwork, since previously the only deep ball guy was Goodwin. Now you have Pettis, and the rest of the WR's with lots of speed, even the RB's can probably give an Olympic sprinter team some problems. So with respect to deep balls, he'll have more of them this year simply because there's more speed everywhere on offense this year, and more practice time together also should improve that timing. That should improve his stats in that area.

Yeah I think Jimmy G will be fine...he's gonna have his lumps this yr because he simply hasn't had the snaps overall. Fans gotta be patient with him and I don't think they will be because of his paycheck.

Last yr was suppose to be his learning season and grasping the playbook (like Matt Ryan had his 1st season with Kyle) Jimmy G was robbed of that.

Getting hurt early in the season was a blessing overall, but he didn't have much time to rock the scheme either.

I'm hoping that Jimmy spending time with Papa Shanny will help in the continued learning of the offense. I'm betting they wore out the film of his first 3 starts in 2018 (especially that 6 sack Lion game). I'd imagine it was a WCO clinic. I'm sure papa Shanny could connect some of the dots and answer any of the questions.

Personally, I think Jimmy is gonna be really, really good.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jun 18, 2019 at 1:33 PM ]
Share 49erswebzone