Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• thl408
Originally posted by littleken:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
I think I see what Kyle is trying to achieve this offseason for the offense. He wants to give personnel looks that most defense do not practice much against. He's trying to improve TE2 and TE3. He already has his FB, a position some teams don't even carry let alone design plays to get the ball to. Got Hurd who is a WR slash RB. As a defense preparing to go against the SF offense, there is more to prepare for compared to the standard offense that likes to use 3 WRs 60%+ of the time.

And larger amounts of base to prepare for. Considering that teams are valuing their 3rd/slot CB's more than 2nd DT's, NT's, or 3rd LB's - depending on the defense, this is really smart. You're keeping the best 11 off the field more.

Just think about this, in 2013 we had a 4th round pick playing NT and our slot was played by our highest paid CB.
In 2014 we had an UDFA starting at NT and a 1st rounder starting at SCB.

That's how much difference teams will give to their base vs Nickel. In today's NFL, the best 11 is the Nickel package. So, if you can keep a teams Nickel package off the field and still be able to execute your offense to the fullest extent, it gives you an advantage.
Right. With nickel being the personnel grouping that defenses are in most of the time, why not make them play with a grouping that they are less accustomed to playing? That's what 21, 12, 22, 13 personnel does, keep defenses in base. Keep that slot CB on the bench, make the 3rd LB play more snaps than he's accustomed to. We keep saying on this board that the SAM is not important, defenses are in nickel so much anyway, which I agree with. So Kyle takes that and uses it against the defense.

Very different from Sean McVay in prior years. The Rams sticked to 11 personnel in like 90% of the snaps. That % was even higher before Gurley got injured. I wonder whether that change this season after they struggled so poorly in the SB.

I have to think McVay will expand his use of personnel groupings as a way to adjust. His original philosophy wasn't to be so heavy with 11 personnel. It was something that evolved in his first season.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/1/10/18177030/rams-sean-mcvay-jared-goff-todd-gurley-11-personnel
The shift to this version of the 11 personnel strategy didn't happen right away. Over their first three games of the 2017 campaign, the Rams used the grouping on just 58 percent of their snaps.
And finally, from Week 10 on, it jumped to 94 percent, completing the unit's transformation into the offense we see now. Rather than being forced into using this grouping because of injury or necessity, the Rams settled on this approach because it repeatedly got results.
I have to think McVay will expand his use of personnel groupings as a way to adjust. His original philosophy wasn't to be so heavy with 11 personnel. It was something that evolved in his first season.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/1/10/18177030/rams-sean-mcvay-jared-goff-todd-gurley-11-personnel
The shift to this version of the 11 personnel strategy didn't happen right away. Over their first three games of the 2017 campaign, the Rams used the grouping on just 58 percent of their snaps.
And finally, from Week 10 on, it jumped to 94 percent, completing the unit's transformation into the offense we see now. Rather than being forced into using this grouping because of injury or necessity, the Rams settled on this approach because it repeatedly got results.

....and then McVay will be given credit for inventing the FB position and 4 more dudes on his staff will become head coaches
The genius gap between Shanny and McVay isn't even funny, Shanny simply towers over McVay. We are lucky to have Shanny, good pick Paraag, you rocked.
Originally posted by GarnerValleyFan:
The genius gap between Shanny and McVay isn't even funny, Shanny simply towers over McVay. We are lucky to have Shanny, good pick Paraag, you rocked.

Kyle gonna get our newly loaded offensive and the players in it wide open in space.

It is all on the offensive line to block well enough to allow those crazy combinations and mismatches to get to their spot.
Kyle is GOD, with Kyle and a team of Kyle guys, we ain't settling for nothing but going all the way THIS year. So excited about this team, from top to bottom, it has promised land written all over it.

This is a post I can get excited about!!!!
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Kyle is GOD, with Kyle and a team of Kyle guys, we ain't settling for nothing but going all the way THIS year. So excited about this team, from top to bottom, it has promised land written all over it.

Hopefully this is the year we get to see him flex, he's got way better talent than in '17.

Remember when certain Niner fans thought he "handpicked" Hoyer to be our future? LMAO
Nice to have a HC that knows offense and defense equally. And the confidence to talk about it to the media without being clammed up, or acting like a jerk.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

if we can't win with Bosa, Mullens/GQ, we will need to .... nah, not gonna happen, we will go deep in playoffs.
Are their Any up and coming coaches named Bill?
Bill Walsh
Bill Belichick
Bill Parcells
Seems like that's the way to go If Kyle doesn't work out.
[ Edited by Jeepzilla on May 25, 2019 at 12:42 PM ]

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Nice to have a HC that knows offense and defense equally. And the confidence to talk about it to the media without being clammed up, or acting like a jerk.

I posted earlier that Saleh remained here despite lack of experience , esp in DL and DBs. He is a LB coach, and an excellent one. Just not really experience with the other two parts of D. So i agree fully qnn that it is admirable that our HC knows both O and D.

The problem at present, however is that that D knowledge is still in its early stages and needs lots of experience. Given how creative kyle is on O , he is bound to become hopefully equally as good on D. One thing he is much like GOAT BW in, is being able to see the entire field, where every O and D player is on each and every part of every play and now he is subbing packages of 11,12 , 22 , 31, into those same plays but with very different outcomes.

His ability to manipulate the D will someday translate his ability to manipulate HIS D to counter an opponents O. He isn't there yet, as evidenced by our lackluster D last yr. But he sure got some candy to play with this past FA/draft /trading season. Meantime we stay with saleh, but as i predicted last yr sometime, he kept saleh because kyle ultimately wants to call his own D....just like GOAT BW.

In the interim, i hope the Woods and Kocurek experiment works for us. Kyle nowhas all 3 phases of D covered coaching wise, but we have yet to see how it all turns out. If the D struggle early, will he promote either woods of kocurek to DC? Dunno, but certainly a possibility. No matter what happens , you have to admire what he is attempting. BB is a model for him, altho BB came at it from the D side first. Then he later became his own OC.

Now BB is HC and lets his OC and DC call their own shots, but it is that which Belllichek wants. I hope our D gets along as smoothly. Dont' expect it early on tho. To be successful in next few yrs kyle will ahve to let an experienced DC take over, but ultimately i agree he intends to be his own DC, also.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by Giedi:
22 Z "in"

The glorious WCO triangle. Flanker route can be an In Break vs man or a hook vs zone....TE settles/sits over the center line and the FB to the flat.
Niners816
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

I posted earlier that Saleh remained here despite lack of experience , esp in DL and DBs. He is a LB coach, and an excellent one. Just not really experience with the other two parts of D. So i agree fully qnn that it is admirable that our HC knows both O and D.

The problem at present, however is that that D knowledge is still in its early stages and needs lots of experience. Given how creative kyle is on O , he is bound to become hopefully equally as good on D. One thing he is much like GOAT BW in, is being able to see the entire field, where every O and D player is on each and every part of every play and now he is subbing packages of 11,12 , 22 , 31, into those same plays but with very different outcomes.

His ability to manipulate the D will someday translate his ability to manipulate HIS D to counter an opponents O. He isn't there yet, as evidenced by our lackluster D last yr. But he sure got some candy to play with this past FA/draft /trading season. Meantime we stay with saleh, but as i predicted last yr sometime, he kept saleh because kyle ultimately wants to call his own D....just like GOAT BW.

In the interim, i hope the Woods and Kocurek experiment works for us. Kyle nowhas all 3 phases of D covered coaching wise, but we have yet to see how it all turns out. If the D struggle early, will he promote either woods of kocurek to DC? Dunno, but certainly a possibility. No matter what happens , you have to admire what he is attempting. BB is a model for him, altho BB came at it from the D side first. Then he later became his own OC.

Now BB is HC and lets his OC and DC call their own shots, but it is that which Belllichek wants. I hope our D gets along as smoothly. Dont' expect it early on tho. To be successful in next few yrs kyle will ahve to let an experienced DC take over, but ultimately i agree he intends to be his own DC, also.

I think in the end we just have to trust Kyle's judgement on his DC and his defensive coach in general, because of his knowledge on the defensive side. It stand to reason that he would have a better finger on the pulse. We are critical of Salah, but to Kyle, Salah may be Kyle's version of Walsh's Seifert or Ray Rhodes. The same level of trust.

I'm sure Kyle realized Salah was playing with a shorten deck last year with a lack of pass rush up front. This year is more indicative of Salah's ability as DC.

We will have to wait and see.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on May 26, 2019 at 6:21 PM ]
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Bill Walsh
Bill Belichick
Bill Parcells

Or Mike
Mike Shanahan
Mike Homgren
Mike Tomlin
Mike Ditka
Mike McCarthy
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Bill Walsh
Bill Belichick
Bill Parcells

Or Mike
Mike Shanahan
Mike Homgren
Mike Tomlin
Mike Ditka
Mike McCarthy

Kyle's middle name is Michael, so he's one of the Mike. I was worried. Feel so much better now ...
Share 49erswebzone