LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 325 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

My best guess is that they accidentally switched the #s and the author didn't notice.

Also, another logical mistake was made in the article. It said that Shanahan schemed *less* risky throws for Jimmy than Mullens and Beathard, but then they said his depth of target was about 2 yards greater than those other guys.

Makes no sense. Should have been that Shanahan schemed MORE risky throws for Jimmy, which is much more in line with how Jimmy has actually played and demonstrated his strength to be.

Good article otherwise.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Jun 17, 2019 at 11:47 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by thl408:
I like Tomsula's response better.

Kyle often gives long-winded answers. Tomsula's are shorter, but strong winded.

Needless to say, he blows everyone away with that answer.
Tomsula doesn't give you his two cents. He gives you his two scents.

I prefer Belichick's silent but deadly approach.

Even when he's a little rusty, his answers are very musty.
Now Simms chiming in. Lovely
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Even when he's a little rusty, his answers are very musty.

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

I still think Kirk is a damn good QB...not sure Minn had the right dude calling plays last yr. Anyway I love this for JG, let the dude sweat a little he needs to prove the doubters wrong
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I still think Kirk is a damn good QB...not sure Minn had the right dude calling plays last yr. Anyway I love this for JG, let the dude sweat a little he needs to prove the doubters wrong

Let's just hope we see JG for an entire season. I am still convinced he was a better choice than Cousins,but that isn't a knock on Kirk.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Originally posted by mojave45:

Let's just hope we see JG for an entire season. I am still convinced he was a better choice than Cousins,but that isn't a knock on Kirk.

Cousins has the better arm. I think Jimmy is better tho. No one has a more quick release than he does.

I have enough Redskins' fans friends that hate Cousins with a passion you guys would not believe. For a guy who wasn't really a bum by any means, that's saying A LOT. The guy statistically was better than quite a few QBs in the NFL who never would have received such hate. There's something a bit off with him, and if the 49ers were forced to go with Cousins because of some unfortunate circumstances, I could get behind him........but you get the feeling you're gonna need Fangio back and a few more all pros on the defense to win a Super Bowl.....

Here's one thing I think we can all agree on:

Cousins lacks the clutch gene. Seemingly he hasn't inspired confidence in fans he can win big games........failed to get the Redskins in the playoffs in 2016 when the Giants beat them in a meaningless game.....for the Giants. He hasn't lived up to the contract in Minnesota.....the 2017 Vikings with Keenum were not paying top dollar for a QB.

So yes, technically speaking Cousins has accumulated stats for quite a few years now and has had some big games for sure. But the Skins gave up on him and preferred Alex Smith, so not so sure Shanahan and McVay could see Cousins as a BETTER QB than the ones they have now. I would definitely say that if the Rams didn't have Goff and Cousins was available in 2017, both coaches would have definitely chased Cousins (even if Jimmy G was available for trade, which he wasn't). The "known" usually outweighs the "unknown with potential"......but now we've seen a bit from both QBs (even Jimmy).

Man, I want Jimmy to play 16+ games this year more than anything else I want out of him. More than any particular stat, w/l record, etc...........I just want him to play the entire season so people can STFU about his health and all that crap.

In a weird way, I think I would rather Jimmy play the entire season and maybe not look as all world as we thought, then have him kill it for 9 games at MVP level , hurt for 4 games, comes back and barely miss the playoffs.

Of course, I don't wish anything truly less than JIMMY BEING A f**kING BALLER FOR THE SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS............however in the spirit of prognostication and theories, I'd sign up for Matt Ryan 2015 over another Jimmy G 2017, because Matt Ryan 2016++ is something we could all sign up for.

Cousins has the better arm. I think Jimmy is better tho. No one has a more quick release than he does.

The entire premise of Florio's idea is that it's plausible IF JG stinks it up this year. Obviously if he plays well it's a non issue. But if JG doesn't show progress or can't stay healthy of course it's something that crosses our minds.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
I have enough Redskins' fans friends that hate Cousins with a passion you guys would not believe. For a guy who wasn't really a bum by any means, that's saying A LOT. The guy statistically was better than quite a few QBs in the NFL who never would have received such hate. There's something a bit off with him, and if the 49ers were forced to go with Cousins because of some unfortunate circumstances, I could get behind him........but you get the feeling you're gonna need Fangio back and a few more all pros on the defense to win a Super Bowl.....

Here's one thing I think we can all agree on:

Cousins lacks the clutch gene. Seemingly he hasn't inspired confidence in fans he can win big games........failed to get the Redskins in the playoffs in 2016 when the Giants beat them in a meaningless game.....for the Giants. He hasn't lived up to the contract in Minnesota.....the 2017 Vikings with Keenum were not paying top dollar for a QB.

So yes, technically speaking Cousins has accumulated stats for quite a few years now and has had some big games for sure. But the Skins gave up on him and preferred Alex Smith, so not so sure Shanahan and McVay could see Cousins as a BETTER QB than the ones they have now. I would definitely say that if the Rams didn't have Goff and Cousins was available in 2017, both coaches would have definitely chased Cousins (even if Jimmy G was available for trade, which he wasn't). The "known" usually outweighs the "unknown with potential"......but now we've seen a bit from both QBs (even Jimmy).

Man, I want Jimmy to play 16+ games this year more than anything else I want out of him. More than any particular stat, w/l record, etc...........I just want him to play the entire season so people can STFU about his health and all that crap.

In a weird way, I think I would rather Jimmy play the entire season and maybe not look as all world as we thought, then have him kill it for 9 games at MVP level , hurt for 4 games, comes back and barely miss the playoffs.

Of course, I don't wish anything truly less than JIMMY BEING A f**kING BALLER FOR THE SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS............however in the spirit of prognostication and theories, I'd sign up for Matt Ryan 2015 over another Jimmy G 2017, because Matt Ryan 2016++ is something we could all sign up for.

I want Jimmy G to ball out and not have this convo ever again

That said I really do think Kirk would thrive here.
Shanny looks like Buster Posey lol

• Giedi
  • Veteran

I'd rather have a quick release than a strong arm in Shannys system. With a strong arm, the only difference is Kyle will incorporate more play action.

The WCO's sweet spot is that intermediate range passing, that's why Nick did a credible job as a QB last year despite his arm being a bit below average.

I think the current QB squad is strong and deep, and a Cousins trade takes too much draft capital out of other needed investments better used like on the OLine or Secondary.
Share 49ersWebzone