LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Seeing a side of Shanny right now at the Senior Bowl that we rarely see. Dude was ripping into someone right now dropping F bombs left and right lol.
guess he just coaches soft here

Originally posted by NCommand:
LOL. I love Kyle.

Shanny simultaneously not giving any f**ks while literally giving two f**ks.
Originally posted by captveg:
Shanny simultaneously not giving any f**ks while literally giving two f**ks.

He's THAT talented.
Your new QB coach.

Wow, first time i have taken and hour and a half to listen to a podcast like this, but wow, was it ever tough to listen to. I believe someone mentioned he is a Jets fan, BTW.

First and foremost, jason thinks the draft and FA of lynch (and he didn't mention kyle, meaning he may not be as well connected as he thinks)....well , he thinks Lynch has laid some big stinky eggs. Feels that 9ers have continued the old CBA habit of drafting a bunch of injured players and then getting deals there....feels this no longer works and parenthetically, it has half killed us...Foster prime example and shouldn't have drafted Street. Unless JL just has a knockout , blowout yr, he will be gone in yr 4.

Feels that 9ers have a mistaken habit of drafting and FAing 2nd and 3rd tier players, when they should have been going after 1st and 2nd tiers. Also thinks that by signing jimmyG, we made a key mistake in thinking the franchise was set, now that we had our FR QB. And then, because of that, we just put a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier players around him and we are in the SB. I will ahve to admit, i agree with him on this one.

Also feels our selection of FAs and draft picks was poor both yrs and JL has to step it up big time in spring '19. Feels we way overpaid the Jet, for the value he brings. That remains to be seen. Also grossly overpaid Au Jus, and then brot in Cooper and for $2-4 million just cut him. Ugly mistake. Basically his point about selecting poor choices seems to be pretty much about right. Richburg was an improvement, but ...he didn't have a good yr.(injury).

We have: Kittle, Buck, Warner, RBs(Brieda, et al), JimmyG, last stages of Sherman, McG, an almost done Staley as our standouts. That's it. That is our stars, and 2 are gone in a yr or two. Those are our premier players. And that is after 2 full yrs, with turning over an entire 45 guys. (Ok, 43)

Jason feels we have mid tier, Goodwin, maybe Laken, Person (who hits FA) and could be re-signed, no DBs, no Ss, no ERs or passrusher, AA somewhere between tier 1 and 2, a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier DTs, 2nd-3rd tier Center, no #1 WR, and only a single or so 2nd tier WRs. RBs he didn't like but i think he's off base here with all our injuries.

In summary, he thinks we will count JG as our FR QB and surround him with midddling talent. He sure isn't far from wrong there. Also he feels we are targeting lesser 2nd and 3rd tier talent in FA. As for building thru draft, that would be fine but he thinks Lynch had a bad two yrs to start with.

That was most of it, and my take away is he is somewhat on target. We have drafted bad in top 3 picks overall, with Foster a killer, same for CJ, and Solomon taken as top pick where we had a bunch of DTs already. Jumping up for Joe Williams, bringing in Hoyer...all mistakes...but he didnt give credit to kyle for that. Finally he thot about trading our FR QB for a pair of 1st rd picks as an outside chance. He had no knowledge of Mullins from what i could gather. So he missed on some stuff, but i agree, our drafting, and FAing needs to really be stepped up. Two yrs in, he thinks we are a D grade.

Sorry for the length, but jeez is an hour and a half a long time to listen to someone not real familiar with the team.

I do agree we should shop more for quality than 2nd-3rd tier/ guys. We have spent the money...but poorly.
Originally posted by tommyncal:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Great article about Kyle, McVay and Matt LaFleur, all future NFL headcoaches having worked as assistants on the Redskins under Mike Shanahan.

https://theathletic.com/770008/2019/01/18/members-of-once-shamed-redskins-coaching-staff-have-become-hot-commodities/

kyle is not his dad.. that is who should have been hired after jh left and then after jt got canned

yet Mike is waiting for his phone to ring and Kyle, if fired, would be gobbled up before you could post again

thats a cute sentence but has nothing to do with the fact i think they should have hired a vet coach like mike when jh got dumped. if kyle sucks in year three and gets fired. who gives a s**t how fast he is gobbled up by someone else
missing the point and the facts. You, and not another of the 31 NFL teams wanted to hire Mike. And again this year, not any NFL team wanted to hire MIke. And, if or when, I'm betting on when, that Kyle turns this team around will you still be saying they should have hired Mike? Or will you say Mike would have turned the team around quicker?
^^^ Oh, Jason also thinks there are no decent interior OLs in FA and as for ERs , most of good ones will be tagged. No real talent in CBs, but a couple Ss. Same for LBs, a couple 2nd tier. Feels the one S we want will go to Dallas. Thinks a Clay Matthews might end up here. Also believes SF will have a hard time attracting talent due to lousy talent on team, plus 4 whole wins last yr. We're not going forwards, we are going backwards. And lynch is given most of credit for it.

Some stuff made sense, other sounded like throwing darts at a dartboard.

I wouldn't recommend listening to it both for length and content.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Wow, first time i have taken and hour and a half to listen to a podcast like this, but wow, was it ever tough to listen to. I believe someone mentioned he is a Jets fan, BTW.

First and foremost, jason thinks the draft and FA of lynch (and he didn't mention kyle, meaning he may not be as well connected as he thinks)....well , he thinks Lynch has laid some big stinky eggs. Feels that 9ers have continued the old CBA habit of drafting a bunch of injured players and then getting deals there....feels this no longer works and parenthetically, it has half killed us...Foster prime example and shouldn't have drafted Street. Unless JL just has a knockout , blowout yr, he will be gone in yr 4.

Feels that 9ers have a mistaken habit of drafting and FAing 2nd and 3rd tier players, when they should have been going after 1st and 2nd tiers. Also thinks that by signing jimmyG, we made a key mistake in thinking the franchise was set, now that we had our FR QB. And then, because of that, we just put a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier players around him and we are in the SB. I will ahve to admit, i agree with him on this one.

Also feels our selection of FAs and draft picks was poor both yrs and JL has to step it up big time in spring '19. Feels we way overpaid the Jet, for the value he brings. That remains to be seen. Also grossly overpaid Au Jus, and then brot in Cooper and for $2-4 million just cut him. Ugly mistake. Basically his point about selecting poor choices seems to be pretty much about right. Richburg was an improvement, but ...he didn't have a good yr.(injury).

We have: Kittle, Buck, Warner, RBs(Brieda, et al), JimmyG, last stages of Sherman, McG, an almost done Staley as our standouts. That's it. That is our stars, and 2 are gone in a yr or two. Those are our premier players. And that is after 2 full yrs, with turning over an entire 45 guys. (Ok, 43)

Jason feels we have mid tier, Goodwin, maybe Laken, Person (who hits FA) and could be re-signed, no DBs, no Ss, no ERs or passrusher, AA somewhere between tier 1 and 2, a bunch of 2nd and 3rd tier DTs, 2nd-3rd tier Center, no #1 WR, and only a single or so 2nd tier WRs. RBs he didn't like but i think he's off base here with all our injuries.

In summary, he thinks we will count JG as our FR QB and surround him with midddling talent. He sure isn't far from wrong there. Also he feels we are targeting lesser 2nd and 3rd tier talent in FA. As for building thru draft, that would be fine but he thinks Lynch had a bad two yrs to start with.

That was most of it, and my take away is he is somewhat on target. We have drafted bad in top 3 picks overall, with Foster a killer, same for CJ, and Solomon taken as top pick where we had a bunch of DTs already. Jumping up for Joe Williams, bringing in Hoyer...all mistakes...but he didnt give credit to kyle for that. Finally he thot about trading our FR QB for a pair of 1st rd picks as an outside chance. He had no knowledge of Mullins from what i could gather. So he missed on some stuff, but i agree, our drafting, and FAing needs to really be stepped up. Two yrs in, he thinks we are a D grade.

Sorry for the length, but jeez is an hour and a half a long time to listen to someone not real familiar with the team.

I do agree we should shop more for quality than 2nd-3rd tier/ guys. We have spent the money...but poorly.

Yeah, I've listened to it several times...it's that spot on. He even confirmed he feels Paraag is setting the spending bars and it certainly has that moneyball feel under both Baalke and Lynch...same exact trends. IIRC, Paraag has like a dozen analysts working for him. They aren't all sitting around making coffee for each other every day.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 22, 2019 at 2:43 PM ]
That podcast sounds terrible, and nitpicking at its worst, which ignores the actual context of circumstances when those moves were made.
Originally posted by captveg:
That podcast sounds terrible, and nitpicking at its worst, which ignores the actual context of circumstances when those moves were made.

LOL...total unbiased podcast from a subject matter expert who reviews trends based on concrete stats compared across the league.

Plus it's spot on.

But if he said 100% rosey things...

...best podcast ever!
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 22, 2019 at 2:51 PM ]

• Chief
  • Veteran
I love Shanny, so suck it.
Originally posted by Chief:
I love Shanny, so suck it.

This. Me too.
  • thl408
LOL. I love Kyle.

It's because of all that Drake and lil Wayne hardcore gangster rap he listens to. PSA: don't let your kids listen to Drake and lil Wayne.
LOL. I love Kyle.

Where was this passion when he was coaching Marsh this year? Marsh probably tuned him out and went out to play some Magic the gathering with his friends.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
LOL. I love Kyle.

Where was this passion when he was coaching Marsh this year? Marsh probably tuned him out and went out to play some Magic the gathering with his friends.

The real question is when he wins Magic does he jump up from the table and spin kick?
Share 49ersWebzone