LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 289 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• thl408
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Or the NFL competition committee could take their jobs seriously and give defenses some rule changes instead of making their jobs harder every year.

And ruin fantasy football/gambling? Need moar points! I swear the next NFL rule change will be allowing the motion player to be running towards the LoS like in the Canadian league.
Originally posted by thl408:
Or the NFL competition committee could take their jobs seriously and give defenses some rule changes instead of making their jobs harder every year.

And ruin fantasy football/gambling? Need moar points! I swear the next NFL rule change will be allowing the motion player to be running towards the LoS like in the Canadian league.

Make it so the D can't move until the ball is in the air, like kickoffs
For me I don't find high scoring to be exciting. I find a well played game to be exciting. One of the best was SF vs NYG and I believe it was 7-3 final.

We have a league that rewards QBs for a horribly under thrown ball. Punishes defenses for not looking out for the well being of their opponents and are expected to predict when a receiver is going to lower his helmet. And I am in complete agreement that everything is encouraging scoring for the reasons you suggested on top of it being more enjoyable to watch for casual fans.
  • thl408
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
This is the kind of stuff I'm into. A shift is underway and it's going to be very interesting to see how it shakes out. Player talent is still the most important factor, and always will be, but as far as scheme goes, there is an adapting process taking place as offenses adjust to the defensive shift in philosophy in forcing offenses to dink and dunk.
----------------
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/6/5/23744080/five-games-2022-season-nfl-scheme-wars
If defenses are going to keep pace, they'll have to get more creative. Simply lining up in static two-high coverages isn't as effective a solution as it may have been a year ago. Quarterbacks are already learning how to pick those defenses apart, and the dual-threat QBs don't even need to put the ball in the air to do it. The 2022 season showed us that the only way to keep pace with the league's increasingly creative offensive strategies is with equally creative defensive answers. This means more shrewdly designed coverage disguises, more simulated pressures, and even more game plans specifically tailored to stopping individual offenses. In that way, the NFL's scheme war is becoming an arms race in which quantity is just as vital as quality.
---------------
Too long not reading that article (too bad, you are missing out):
- Defenses saw LAR and KC shredding pass defenses (2018-2021). In comes Fangio's scheme (2 high coverages) to combat that. Sacrifices run defense, forces passing game to take shorter completions.
- Breaks down five matchups in the 2022 season that showed what is happening with regards to offense versus defense. Includes breakdown of SF versus DEN 2022.
- Defenses will need to lean on disguise to make QBs and OLs think. Simply playing two deep safeties is no longer enough.

My suspicion was KC moved out Hill, as somewhat of an admission that they weren't gonna attack downfield as much, D already shifted a bit to the 2 high safety look, in fear of his speed. They were paced by Kelce as a matchup nightmare in the short to intermediate game, and Pacheco, who is a hammer. Keep those safeties back, and they'll just pound the ball at you, or check it down to McKinnon in the pass game, who can use his speed to outflank linebackers in coverage. My question is do we have the downfield game, to get those safeties off the LOS? That was the hope with TL. We want to see the 2 high safeties with our ground game, it would play into our hands.

KC moved from Hill because his and Mahomes' contract wouldn't fit on the same team, so they got a good return for him. I don't think it was a case of KC wanting to move on from him, it was a cap move more than anything. Kyle saw the league shifting towards Fangio's Quarters/Cover6 scheme and started to adapt to it with upping the ability to run between the tackles (Fangio scheme is 7 in the box, more susceptible to interior runs). Danny Gray was drafted to attack safeties (safeties in the Fangio scheme will often times man cover slot WRs).
Kyle had to adjust last season as the offense went from Lance's, back to Jimmy/Brock. Then CMC came in and proved to be a gamechanger. I think Brock showed enough downfield ability to keep defenses honest. They may still crowd the line but that's a sign of respect for the 49er run game, more so than disrespect to Brock/WRs downfield ability. imo
  • thl408

We have a league that rewards QBs for a horribly under thrown ball. Punishes defenses for not looking out for the well being of their opponents and are expected to predict when a receiver is going to lower his helmet. And I am in complete agreement that everything is encouraging scoring for the reasons you suggested on top of it being more enjoyable to watch for casual fans.

That's got to be one of the most frustrating things for DBs. Underthrown balls, and poor back shoulder throws that end up being DPI. That's definitely a benefit to soft coverage zone (off coverage alignment, avoid trail technique) that the Fangio scheme employs. Can't fall victim to those weak DPI calls if they aren't in trail.
Originally posted by dmax:
Cool now you're giving reasons why Kyle hasn't won the big one. Unless you're suggesting Kyle injures his players. Like when Jimmy G was running out of bounds the camera didn't show it but Kyle pushed him to stay in bounds causing his knee to buckle. Or when Nick Bosa had his knee bent over a mass of bodies we all thought it was the Jets TE but Kyle stole the uniform and ran out there and did it.

i dont know what kyle is or isnt doing in practice...the facts are we have the most injuries of any team since kyles tenure
it was from espn...

Lol right, no one is saying it is or isn't kyles fault. The reality of it is that we've had an abnormal amount of key injuries. It's extremely difficult to win in this league when a majority of your starters/stars are going down.

how many season ending injury's have the chiefs had? Eagles? Bucs (year they won)?, rams the year they won?

luck is part of football. Health is key. Even look back to when we lost the super bowl to the ravens, Justin smith had a tricep injury - first major injury of his career and he was no where near as good as he was before it.

good luck winning when the team you build and plan around becomes decimated. Lol we just got extremely lucky last season that our worst qb was QB1 and then Jimmy was QB2 and our best qb was QB3. If it was the other way around, I don't think we come close to achieving what we did.

It's all about generating money and the teams scoring because they keeps the average fan/attendee watching. The way ticket prices are now, the real average Joe fans are priced out. The games are like social events now with a lot of people who couldn't care less about the game. They just go to post it online or look important. A lot of seats are owned by companies too who give them to clients. Some of the law firms I work with own box seats and give them to whoever they want to try and get business with.
Originally posted by tankle104:

It's all about generating money and the teams scoring because they keeps the average fan/attendee watching. The way ticket prices are now, the real average Joe fans are priced out. The games are like social events now with a lot of people who couldn't care less about the game. They just go to post it online or look important. A lot of seats are owned by companies too who give them to clients. Some of the law firms I work with own box seats and give them to whoever they want to try and get business with.
it's not like that at 9er games.. maybe a small % and they are mostly girls/raider fans
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by tankle104:

it's not like that at 9er games.. maybe a small % and they are mostly girls/raider fans

Since we started winning, yeah, before that it was disgusting. Lol our crowds were terrible. Candlestick was awesome though.
Good stuff on how Kyle runs this b***h. How he sets up for those explosives.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/169553-george-kittle-explains-kyle-shanahan-explosive-plays-49ers/
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 14, 2023 at 2:10 PM ]

Originally posted by NCommand:

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/169553-george-kittle-explains-kyle-shanahan-explosive-plays-49ers/

AND how he needs a guy who will take advantage of those explosives.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

AND how he needs a guy who will take advantage of those explosives.

For sure. How many explosives do you think he sets up per game?

As the primary? Probably half a dozen.

As a part of the progression? Every single pass play

If a DB falls down he doesn't want his qb throwing the 7 yard out.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

As the primary? Probably half a dozen.

As a part of the progression? Every single pass play

If a DB falls down he doesn't want his qb throwing the 7 yard out.

True and explosives don't have to be deep shots either...just how he sets up a receiver for a homerun.
True and explosives don't have to be deep shots either...just how he sets up a receiver for a homerun.

Had the most 30+ plays in the NFL last year IIRC. Those are the plays you need to hit consistently. The Jim Harbaugh 15 play drive isn't a sustainable model.
Share 49ersWebzone