LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

• Koldo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
As a Kyle fan, Im down with changing thread name to the Kyle appreciation thread. That way posters don't get it twisted thinking they can come in here and critique Kyle. That's should be reserved for players on the field.

The Shanacult would be delighted.

But then it should be renamed to "Kyle Shanahan jockstrap licking thread".
Originally posted by Koldo:
As a Kyle fan, Im down with changing thread name to the Kyle appreciation thread. That way posters don't get it twisted thinking they can come in here and critique Kyle. That's should be reserved for players on the field.

The Shanacult would be delighted.

But then it should be renamed to "Kyle Shanahan jockstrap licking thread".

He wears a jockstrap during gameday?
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
With the Lance injury Kyle was able to buy at least two more years of excuses.

this year Kyle got another year of scapegoat Jimmy.

Next year, if we don't win the SB or make it very far, we can pin it on Lance being a rookie and coming back from injury.

Maybe by 2024, year 8 of his tenure, we can start criticizing him. Although, if we fall short then, I can see us blaming it on Lance sophomore slump and/or different roster.

All of this x 1000

Jimmy is Shanahan's perfect scapegoat: "Kyle can't open up the playbook with Jimmy at QB", "Jimmy is the reason why Kyle's offense will never reach its potential", "Jimmy is holding Kyle back".

Just so I am clear, are you guys saying that Kyle can run everything he wants to run with Jimmy? That he can run his ideal playbook, take the amount of risks he wants to, etc.?

Never said that.
At the start of the drive in Question.
Jimmy was 13/21 202 yds, 2 tds, 0 Int

Score is 17-14. Rams answered right back after Kittle Td from Jimmy to take 17-7 lead.

Drive starts at 14 yd line.

1st down - Jimmy worked the pocket, rushers in his face, pass to Mitchell for 21 yds.

Own 35 yd line. Jimmy was 14/23 223 yds, 2 tds, 0 Int

1st down and 10 - pass to Aiyuk that skips off ground. Bad pass.

2nd down and 10 - Jimmy sidesteps to avoid oncoming rush. Nice protection overall. Pass to Deebo for 12 yds and first down.

Own 47 yd line. Jimmy was 15/24 235 yds, 2 tds, 0 Int

1st down and 10 - Mitchell draw for 9 yds.

2nd down and 1 at (Rams 44) - Mitchell run up middle. Loss of 1. ( I was screaming for hem to line up quick and run QB sneak here. 25/25 on Qb sneaks. Not hindsight.)

3rd down and 2 - Juice run up the middle -1.
(McVay challenges juice fumbled)

4th and 2 - delay of game punt. I don't really blame him for this decision, as much for not running a Qb sneak on 2nd down.

Pass game was working fine up until this point. So I don't buy kyle opting to punt because he didn't trust Jimmy passing. I believe he didn't have a play for the 4th and 2 situation that he felt comfortable enough to run after getting stuffed twice for -2 yards.

Then Next play Tartt has the opportunity to bail out Kyle's decision to punt by Intercepting an easy floater by Stafford but drops it.

Jimmy could've been around 280+ yards and probably another TD if he took the opportunities there. That's what frustrates.

This is where you guys who get all buthurt when there is criticism in a win don't get. HOW you win matters. When opportunities are continually missed it eventually will lead to lost games. It's too simplistic to just blame a 4th down punt when there's big plays open earlier and they aren't taken.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Oct 6, 2022 at 3:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Second2Nunley:
I find it strange that fans are so eager to criticize a coach that's been to the final four twice in the last four years.

Nope. I don't criticize his overall work. He's a very good coach that has turned around a floundering franchise with deep history. He and Lynch should be commended for that. When we have Kyle and a healthy Jimmy we tend to have a good track record.

I also think its fine to be able to question certain calls like the 3rd and 2 and 4th and 2 in the NFCCG without dismissing it and shifting blame to certain players.
[ Edited by Bay2Bay9erAllday on Oct 6, 2022 at 3:26 PM ]
Nope. I don't criticize his overall work. He's a very good coach that has turned around a floundering franchise with deep history. He and Lynch should be commended for that. When we have Kyle and a healthy Jimmy we tend to have a good track record.

I also think its fine to be able to question certain calls like the 3rd and 2 and 4th and 2 in the NFCCG without dismissing it and shifting blame to certain players.

Sure criticize it. But is it a bigger deal then say missing a wide open Kittle on 3rd down that would've been a huge play? Or the multiple times Aiyuk was open?
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Oct 6, 2022 at 3:29 PM ]

Next year, if we don't win the SB or make it very far, we can pin it on Lance being a rookie and coming back from injury.

Maybe by 2024, year 8 of his tenure, we can start criticizing him. Although, if we fall short then, I can see us blaming it on Lance sophomore slump and/or different roster.

All of this x 1000

Jimmy is Shanahan's perfect scapegoat: "Kyle can't open up the playbook with Jimmy at QB", "Jimmy is the reason why Kyle's offense will never reach its potential", "Jimmy is holding Kyle back".

Just so I am clear, are you guys saying that Kyle can run everything he wants to run with Jimmy? That he can run his ideal playbook, take the amount of risks he wants to, etc.?

Never said that.

Eh true. But you sort of alluded to it and Koldo said it.
Why does it feel like sanders was really the last true natural wide reciever we have had? Don't get me wrong, I love deebo. He's my favorite player on the team. But he's a hybrid player, not a true wide reciever. Aiyuk I'm waiting on.

I would love to have a jefferson/chase on this team.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Why does it feel like sanders was really the last true natural wide reciever we have had? Don't get me wrong, I love deebo. He's my favorite player on the team. But he's a hybrid player, not a true wide reciever. Aiyuk I'm waiting on.

Aiyuk is open every game. If he was a Vike or Bengal he'd look more like the other two.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
At the start of the drive in Question.
Jimmy was 13/21 202 yds, 2 tds, 0 Int

Score is 17-14. Rams answered right back after Kittle Td from Jimmy to take 17-7 lead.

Drive starts at 14 yd line.

1st down - Jimmy worked the pocket, rushers in his face, pass to Mitchell for 21 yds.

Own 35 yd line. Jimmy was 14/23 223 yds, 2 tds, 0 Int

1st down and 10 - pass to Aiyuk that skips off ground. Bad pass.

2nd down and 10 - Jimmy sidesteps to avoid oncoming rush. Nice protection overall. Pass to Deebo for 12 yds and first down.

Own 47 yd line. Jimmy was 15/24 235 yds, 2 tds, 0 Int

1st down and 10 - Mitchell draw for 9 yds.

2nd down and 1 at (Rams 44) - Mitchell run up middle. Loss of 1. ( I was screaming for hem to line up quick and run QB sneak here. 25/25 on Qb sneaks. Not hindsight.)

3rd down and 2 - Juice run up the middle -1.
(McVay challenges juice fumbled)

4th and 2 - delay of game punt. I don't really blame him for this decision, as much for not running a Qb sneak on 2nd down.

Pass game was working fine up until this point. So I don't buy kyle opting to punt because he didn't trust Jimmy passing. I believe he didn't have a play for the 4th and 2 situation that he felt comfortable enough to run after getting stuffed twice for -2 yards.

Then Next play Tartt has the opportunity to bail out Kyle's decision to punt by Intercepting an easy floater by Stafford but drops it.

Jimmy could've been around 280+ yards and probably another TD if he took the opportunities there. That's what frustrates.

This is where you guys who get all buthurt when there is criticism in a win don't get. HOW you win matters. When opportunities are continually missed it eventually will lead to lost games. It's too simplistic to just blame a 4th down punt when there's big plays open earlier and they aren't taken.

I think it's dumb to blame Jimmy for the decision to punt on that drive. They were having a nice drive mostly passing.

Jimmy had overall nice stats up until that point. Could've had 280 yards.sure maybe, I'm sure he missed some passes. Never thought he was perfect. lol

But that has nothing to do with my post above regarding the sequence that let to the punt.

All of this x 1000

Never said that.

Nope. I don't see where you came to that conclusion based on my post above.
I think it's dumb to blame Jimmy for the decision to punt on that drive. They were having a nice drive mostly passing.

Jimmy had overall nice stats up until that point. Could've had 280 yards.sure maybe, I'm sure he missed some passes. Never thought he was perfect. lol

But that has nothing to do with my post above regarding the sequence that let to the punt.

If you call plays that have big plays open and the qb doesnt take it you get gunshy with the qb. It's only natural.

Kyle should've gone for it. It was a mistake. But I also can understand the hesitancy.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:

What's wrong with Jennings? He fits what you're describing.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:

Sure criticize it. But is it a bigger deal then say missing a wide open Kittle on 3rd down that would've been a huge play? Or the multiple times Aiyuk was open?

Bold - That's what some have done and get ridiculed for doing so.

btw, I don't blame him for punting after seeing the previous two plays. If Tartt catches pick, everyone forgets about the decision to punt and we're most likely not trying to blame Jimmy for that.

jimmy played bad after that drive. Not denying it. There may have been contributing factors, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter, and shouldn't absolve Jimmy bad play from there on. Just like Kyle's playcalling on the 2nd and 2, 3rd and 2.

All of this x 1000

Never said that.

Nope. I don't see where you came to that conclusion based on my post above.

Well, your first reply (Koldo) came to the same conclusion, so yeah.

If you didnt mean that Kyle is running exactly what he wants with Jimmy, then what do you mean when you said that Kyle gets another year of scapegoat Jimmy then? My interpretation was that you believe that Kyle is getting unfairly let off the hook, and its not because of Jimmy's limitations (which is basically what Koldo was saying with his reply to you also). So what did you mean by scapegoat Jimmy then if not how both of us interpreted your message?
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Oct 6, 2022 at 3:51 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone