LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Of course a top QB can play a major part in a Superbowl. LOL. That's never been in question.

The issue with you is that's all you can see. A top QB isn't going to play at a top level every game.

For instance, you quickly defer to the defense as the main reason Kyle lost but are unwilling to look at Kyle himself or Ryan at the same micro-level you do with a QB named Jimmy Garoppolo.

Had you ACTUALLY been able to be objective, you'd see that the defense, play calling, OL (esp. Mack's injury and an inability to run block), Ryan (taking a massive no-no sack that turned the whole momentum around), etc. ALL contributed to that EPIC historic collapse.

And that was with your MVP Elite QB + luck.

Now we'll get to see if you start objectively reviewing all our other team issues now that Trey is here; a QB you like. If you can't, you'll remain far too QB-centric IMHO. If so, now you're finally seeing the team sport better (and our team's issues/trends, specifically)...which makes for far better quality and quantity conversations.

Lol that's completely false. I talk about the QB play HERE because it's been subpar/avg for two decades. How about YOU be objective for once and open your damn eyes. Worst QB rating in the 4th QR of a super bowl, one of the worst QB rating in the playoffs, more INTs then TDs, missed reads all over the damn field. He's a game manger & needs everything AROUND HIM to be better than other QBs. s**t breaks down he's not bailing this team out overall. You should EXPECT your highest paid & most important player on the field to do that s**t. You saw the same crap with Goff and that great OL you love to talk about. He was dogs**t under pressure. It's not difficult in DET for him with one of the best OLs in football.

Mico-level? Oh okay….since you've clearly been doing that. Show me all the plays where the play call/QB play was horrible vs said coverage and what play should have been called? Please show me. Ryan avg 330 yards per game and had 9TDs with no INTs during that playoff run. He was far from the issue for that loss. He could have done a little more but allowing 600 yards of offense and blowing a lead like that SHOULD be talked about, especially when your head coach is suppose to be a defensive guru. Imagine if SF put up 3 pts in the SB (cough McVay) and that D only allowed 14? Everyone would be s**tting on Kyle because he's the offensive guru.

I literally provided examples outside of QB play that lead to the loss…not objective lol? I f**king said exactly what you're saying I'm not talking about.

again does Bill win that SB without Brady and his 500 passing yards? He has yet to show he can win a playoff game without him (with damn near the same overall roster). I brought up all kinds of different franchise and what they were/are with and without FQBs.

oh spare me the QB I like b******t, I was a fan of Jimmy for years. He had 4 yrs here. If Lance ends up playing like him after 4 yrs with the same issues I got no problem calling him out. I don't expect him to be great tomorrow.

there's a hierarchy of what matters and sitting at the top is QB/HC. That doesn't mean I don't care about the RG or safety BUT you NEED those other things to be successful long-term. Better QB play improves EVERYTHING, it also doesn't mean you should run out there with a bunch of UDFAs around him either.

LOL. Sorry for triggering you.

Just make sure to keep that same energy going forward. We're going to have some great debates and I'm willing to bet, we'll far more be one the same page soon.
Colts have had one of the best OLs in football for the past couple years along with a very good D and have been through how many QBs? They haven't been to a AFCC let alone a Super Bowl since Luck.

No one is saying you shouldn't have talent around a FQB. I mean come on lol. I'm saying a FQB and HC are the foundation of establishing a long-term competitive team.
Colts have had one of the best OLs in football for the past couple years along with a very good D and have been through how many QBs? They haven't been to a AFCC let alone a Super Bowl since Luck.

No one is saying you shouldn't have talent around a FQB. I mean come on lol. I'm saying a FQB and HC are the foundation of establishing a long-term competitive team.

Who's talking about the OL? OL is only one element to our losses. I have a literal grocery (check)list of why we lose when we lose. QB is one too, no doubt. It's just not leaned on here as heavily as other offenses so I don't hold it to the same weight. But it is a huge factor, no doubt. I've always acknowledged that esp. in the 4Q where the entire coaching staff and players on offense, defense and special teams tend to collapse all at once, esp. immediately after we go up 2 scores. It's creepy, actually AND that goes back to Kyle in ATL...which is what started this debate. Whether HE has had a league MVP QB or mid-tier QB, the pattern has been identical.

So...
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 17, 2022 at 7:41 AM ]

Just make sure to keep that same energy going forward. We're going to have some great debates and I'm willing to bet, we'll far more be one the same page soon.

I'm not triggered at all, we debate this same stuff like once a week. Nothing changes lol

I want as much talent as possible around whomever is our QB. You should expect as a fan when you're paying a guy over $100M that he can make everyone around him better and elevate the team when everything isn't perfect around him. Jimmy had his moments and he doesn't blow…he's still in my eyes a game manger much in the same vein as McVay/Goff. We need more from that position to beat all those top teams consistently.

I have no idea what this OL is gonna be…I would have loved a bunch of pro-bowlers across the line for a rookie QB. We will see

Who's talking about the OL? OL is only one element to our losses. I have a literal grocery (check)list of why we lose when we lose. QB is one too, no doubt. It's just not leaned on here as heavily as other offenses so I don't hold it to the same weight. But it is a huge factor, no doubt. I've always acknowledged that esp. in the 4Q where the entire coaching staff and players on offense, defense and special teams tend to collapse all at once, esp. immediately after we go up 2 scores. It's creepy, actually AND that goes back to Kyle in ATL...which is what started this debate. Whether HE has had a league MVP QB or mid-tier QB, the pattern has been identical.

So...
lol a grocery list

if that list was a true problem..we shouldn't have won any games let alone make it to the NFCCG on the road

I'm not triggered at all, we debate this same stuff like once a week. Nothing changes lol

I want as much talent as possible around whomever is our QB. You should expect as a fan when you're paying a guy over $100M that he can make everyone around him better and elevate the team when everything isn't perfect around him. Jimmy had his moments and he doesn't blow…he's still in my eyes a game manger much in the same vein as McVay/Goff. We need more from that position to beat all those top teams consistently.

I have no idea what this OL is gonna be…I would have loved a bunch of pro-bowlers across the line for a rookie QB. We will see

Ha, for real.

I totally understand your stance on pay = expectations. We've had a ton of issues around this problem (Ford, Richburg, Garoppolo, etc.). That's a topic of ROI I talk to AB about a lot. We definitely haven't gotten the best return on many players d/t injury, performance or both.

Do you think Trey will be asked to be in that same 'game manager' role here? And he'll just need to be more efficient and more clutch or morph the offense more to where he carries more weight?

I have hope in the OL but I'm only focused on it now because of my desire to want Trey to succeed in a more ideal environment. Plus the run game failed us in the playoffs. That absolutely has to improve esp. this year.

So...

A lot of your debates are based around the OL so I showed another example.

QB is in control or the offense wether you like it or not. He touches the ball every play on offense. He runs the offense and makes it go. They have to recognize coverages pre/post (and can change plays based on that). They have to be able to make something out of nothing if something breaks down. That's no different here in SF. You've said multiple times that Lance needed to sit because a Kyle offense is difficult for a QB. Okay so maybe it's not super easy to be a QB in the NFL and with Kyle for a reason.

the MVP played good football in the Super Bowl he did his job outside of taking a pointless sack for the most part. He sure as s**t wasn't playing on Jimmy's level in the 4th QR. Had an amazing throw to Julio on 3rd down and another to Sanu (which got called back because of holding).

kyle wasn't responsible for giving up 600 yards to that NE offense or losing a coin toss. No one really likes to discuss that. I mean does McVay just suck because he only scored 3 pts in his first SB or did he need something more at the QB position? Think we got our answer there. Does Reid suck or did he just need to get a FQB?

either way winning a SB is hard you can have all the pieces and still not get it done. It's one game not a series.
Ha, for real.

I totally understand your stance on pay = expectations. We've had a ton of issues around this problem (Ford, Richburg, Garoppolo, etc.). That's a topic of ROI I talk to AB about a lot. We definitely haven't gotten the best return on many players d/t injury, performance or both.

Do you think Trey will be asked to be in that same 'game manager' role here? And he'll just need to be more efficient and more clutch or morph the offense more to where he carries more weight?

I have hope in the OL but I'm only focused on it now because of my desire to want Trey to succeed in a more ideal environment. Plus the run game failed us in the playoffs. That absolutely has to improve esp. this year.

I think they will let Trey be Trey and give him plays that he's comfortable with and fit his skill set early on. I don't imagine they will lead the league in passing or anything. I do expect them to attack the whole field with him and as he grows so will the passing game overall
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
lol a grocery list

if that list was a true problem..we shouldn't have won any games let alone make it to the NFCCG on the road

It's just a comprehensive list of issues we've demonstrated as consistent issues as a team and factors in losses. I just apply it to each game by line item...in some games some items remained and others didn't apply that week (or even were strengths | e.g. special teams).
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 17, 2022 at 8:00 AM ]
I think they will let Trey be Trey and give him plays that he's comfortable with and fit his skill set early on. I don't imagine they will lead the league in passing or anything. I do expect them to attack the whole field with him and as he grows so will the passing game overall

Gotcha. IIRC, I think there's a thread where we had some predictions of passing/running attempts just to get an idea of how we might expect the offense to morph (if at all). Just for fun.

I agree...I actually think he'll be completely inverse on the spray charts from Jimmy.

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
lol a grocery list

It's just a comprehensive list of issues we've demonstrated as consistent issues as a team and factors in losses. I just apply it to each game by line item...in some games some items remained and others didn't apply that week (or even were strengths).
oh..well then you can do that with every team and get the same list
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
But I thought everything comes down to an elite QB (+ luck)?

This is so confusing!

It's so much easier to just blame the QB for everything.

Nah easier to blame the RG. Clearly it has a bigger impact than subpar Qb play.

Joe Gibbs = 3 Super Bowls with 3 good QBs

I'm waiting for NC to come in here and mention the Joe Gibb's OLine - the Hogs.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdizo916:
He needs to get tips from Bochy and Kerr on how to coach a dynasty team. The 49ers are the blackeye of the bay area. SMH. (well, they are not oakland A's bad)

Warriors Draymond mentioned the 49ers in his podcast - so I don't think the Warriors view the 49ers as a black eye of the bay area.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pdc20:
Again this debate about Shanahan good lord...Jed listen to me and don´t let that guy leave the building.
It was a mistake to let Mike go to the Broncos. That shoud not happen again.

He'll be getting a 100 year extension once he wins the Lombardi this year.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
But I thought everything comes down to an elite QB (+ luck)?

This is so confusing!

It's so much easier to just blame the QB for everything.

Would you not call Edelman's catch a bit lucky? How about Eli Manning's two SB wins and those throws? I'd say there's a bit of luck in being able to complete those passes. That's stuff that goes outside of just play calling.

I'm pointing out the collection of ONE plays that can ultimately change the outcome of a game....f**k yes having a great QB can sway those situations and if you don't think that, then I don't know what to tell you. There's a reason why they make the most money in the NFL. You think NE wins that super bowl vs ATL if they don't have Brady who tossed up 500 yards? Bill hasn't won a playoff game without Brady. McVay couldn't take it to the next level with Goff. Bengals haven't sniffed a Super Bowl until Burrow showed up. We saw what Mahomes did when they needed a play after s**t broke down. Bills were a laughing stock for over a decade, they had 16 straight seasons of missing the playoffs. Now with Allen (and a damn good HC) they're gonna constantly be in discussion to be contenders. We're about to see Seattle become a bottom feeder with Wilson gone.

Why can't you accept the fact that there's a hierarchy of what matters in the NFL and right at the freaking top is the QB position. Yes I agree you need people to execute across the board. If there's a team that accentuates over the past 4 years it's SF. Everyone has to be perfect when your QB is a game manager.

Of course a top QB can play a major part in a Superbowl. LOL. That's never been in question.

The issue with you is that's all you can see. A top QB isn't going to play at a top level every game.

For instance, you quickly defer to the defense as the main reason Kyle lost but are unwilling to look at Kyle himself or Ryan at the same micro-level you do with a QB named Jimmy Garoppolo. You wouldn't dare factor in our defense collapsing, giving up 21 points in 5 minutes in the same manner.

Had you ACTUALLY been able to be objective, you'd see that the defense, play calling, OL (esp. Mack's injury and an inability to run block), Ryan (taking a massive no-no sack that turned the whole momentum around), etc. ALL contributed to that EPIC historic collapse.

And that was with your MVP Elite QB + luck.

Now we'll get to see if you start objectively reviewing all our other team issues now that Trey is here; a QB you like. If you can't, you'll remain far too QB-centric IMHO. If so, now you're finally seeing the team sport better (and our team's issues/trends, specifically)...which makes for far better quality and quantity conversations.

I love the NC - NY85 debates. I always learn a ton from these two. I have great respect for both. NY85 & NC

PS this is *how* debates *should* ideally go. Both sides presented their side with facts and figures and logic. No ad hominims here at all.
Share 49ersWebzone