There are 263 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by captveg:
Falcons was the opposite problem though - he stayed too aggressive. Why? Because he trusted Matt Ryan and his WRs more than his (injury plagued) running backs.

As far as a two score lead - that's peanuts in today's NFL. Teams can score 10-14 points so quickly now. 10 point leads in today's NFL is just not all that much when so much of the rules, officiating and goal is all about the offense. Teams with high powered passing offenses have a huge advantage when they are forced to pass every play to come back two scores. The clock is often the enemy to them, not the opposing defense.

It comes down to make the correct decisions at the right time. His history of 4th quarter performances In super bowls Is pretty shocking.

Two Super Bowls, one as OC where he had zero control over a defense that gave up 550 yards and the huge lead.

Chiefs' 10 point comeback against SF was also the *smallest* comeback of their post season games. That team could score 21 in a minute against anyone.

I'm not saying he's to blame for the falcons losing the super bowl. I'm online judging his own 4th quarter performance as HC/OC in those super bowls.

If you're defending him by pointing to losses as examples that's all I need to know.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Look at the Falcons after him and what happened to the head coach. If the Falcons were so great, why did they not achieve bigger and better things or even equal their accomplishments of 2016? Their points per game dropped by 10 in 2017. Unlike the Super Bowls, this offense never was truly rolling so to think that we were going to hold those leads was silly.

Yeah I know. He was the reason they had so much success... I was referring to Kyle's ability to have meltdowns at crucial time of the game. I'm still proud to have him as our head coach.

This wasn't the usual meltdown. Even though we were ahead, it never felt like it. We were getting eaten up on every 3rd down it seemed. Could do nothing with any of their receivers it seemed and got nothing in the run game. Totally different from the Super Bowls where the offense was just clicking and then all of a sudden, we couldn't get anything going. That's a meltdown. I felt like we were lucky. Back to back bad outings for the offense.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
23, 13, 17 points. We would have got blasted I. The Superbowl by the Bengals, bills, or chiefs. Our offensive genius head coach seems to have a problem scoring.

Not sure HE does. Lot of wide open guys missed in those 3 games.

Yup. There have been wide open guys here every season. So many yards and points left on the field.
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by KC7niners:
Awful Tonight. He always does the same in the big games

What is considered big games? Kyle is 4-2 in the playoff.

I'd throw in the W18 game too, since it was a must win to make the playoffs. 5-2 in must win games.

His offense didn't score td for over six quarters.
  • dj43
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Still thankful he's our HC

Gotta upgrade the QB and DBs next year

...AND the OL!
That's why he should have rode with the guy he gave up three first round picks for.

Originally posted by Ensatsu:
It's his fault for starting him

yeah lets throw a rookie into the NFC championship game im sure that will be good for his development.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Still thankful he's our HC

Gotta upgrade the QB and DBs next year

Definitely upgrade the safety position. Hopefully we see a healthy Verrett too next year.

We are fine at the safety position if we can keep Tartt.

Can we upgrade, yes but there are other more important needs. OL, CB, returner, DE (not sure who we can keep)
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
Love Shanahan but to be honest he wins a lot of games cause of his defensive coaches, it's not due to his offense.

I think I heard about the same thing regarding on Jim Harbaugh.

Truth bomb here.

Don't push away another great coach, 49er fans. Especially since this one doesn't have the personality of sandpaper!
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:

I'd throw in the W18 game too, since it was a must win to make the playoffs. 5-2 in must win games.

KS can celebrate on his 7-1 record against McVay, but he's going to celebrate at home watching McVay in the Super Bowl !!
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
You're insane. He has you fooled. Before the season started everyone knew this was a super bowl roster. He then decided to s**t the bed and lose inexplicable games (cardinals practice squad) before finally performing like they should have all year.

it was his fault and Jimmy's why the team got that low. Yes the secondary was an issue but that's because they counted on ever injured verrett and had no depth.

he'll never win a big game and he's just an OC.
So who's your replacement? Demeco?
McDaniels
When do we really start getting concerned about his inability to hold leads in the 4th? It's becoming a serious pattern
[ Edited by JoseCortez on Jan 30, 2022 at 7:54 PM ]

Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
Love Shanahan but to be honest he wins a lot of games cause of his defensive coaches, it's not due to his offense.

I think I heard about the same thing regarding on Jim Harbaugh.

Truth bomb here.

Don't push away another great coach, 49er fans. Especially since this one doesn't have the personality of sandpaper!

Harbaugh was better
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
When do we really start getting concerned about his inability to hold leads in the 4th? It's becoming a serious pattern

you dont get to switch sides again

Who cares. You can always pick on specific details. Win and loss are the big picture and what is important. 5-2 in elimination games.
Kyle plays not to lose. When we we were up 17-7, Even with Jimmy, I'd try a longer pass 3x. How many does Kyle try? Zero. Kyle has zero killer instinct…zero.

I'm most disappointed in Kyle this game. He's not a rah rah game and he didn't have the team pumped up and ready to play.

Correct. But as many have said above there were plays to be made that Jimmy missed. So the scheme is less to blame.
Share 49ersWebzone