LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

2017 Team Information (Needs)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
I don't have exact details, but it appears that Dekoda Watson's deal is 3yr/$6.5M, $1M base in 2017, $1.05M base in 2018, and $1.45M base in 2019, his 2017 cap number appears to be $1,333,333, with $500K NLTBEs each year, so $2.5M in Incentives total.

If I factor in his cap number, I have them at $74,733,743 under the cap.

I love ShanaLynch!

--- Update ---

Alright, so I had a FA plan coming in, so let's see if ShanaLynch followed a similar plan and where they are currently at. I noted some target free agents I wanted but the focus was really on the specific positions, scheme-fits and skill sets within these positions.

NC'S 2017 Free Agent Targets --- Player Acquired:
QB Brian Hoyer --- Brian Hoyer --- SIGNED ACTUAL PLAYER
WILL Malcolm Smith --- Malcolm Smith --- SIGNED ACTUAL PLAYER
YWR Jeremy Kerley --- Jeremy Kerley --- SIGNED ACTUAL PLAYER
FB Patrick DiMarco/Kyle Juszczyk --- Kyle Juszczyk--- SIGNED ACTUAL PLAYER
LDE/5T Chris Jones (depth) --- Chris Jones --- SIGNED ACTUAL PLAYER
RB2 DuJuan Harris --- DuJuan Harris --- SIGNED ACTUAL PLAYER
RB1: LeGarrette Blount/Tim Hightower --- Tim Hightower & Kapri Bibbs --- SIGNED ACTUAL PLAYER
C J.C. Tretter --- Jeremy Zuttah --- SIGNED LIKE-PLAYER
ZWR Kenny Britt/Terrelle Pryor --- Pierre Garcon --- SIGNED LIKE-PLAYER
XWR Ted Ginn Jr. (depth) --- Marquise Goodwin, DeAndre Carter & Aldrick Robinson--- SIGNED LIKE-PLAYERS
QB Ryan Nassib (depth) --- Matt Barkley --- SIGNED LIKE-PLAYER
MIKE/ST Nick Bellore (depth) --- Brock Coyle, Don Jones II & Dekota Watson --- SIGNED LIKE-PLAYERS
DE: Jared Odrick/Jacquies Smith --- Elvis Dumervil ---SIGNED LIKE-PLAYER
LG: Austin Pasztor --- Tim Barnes --- SIGNED LIKE-PLAYER
RG Andrew Tiller (depth) --- Brandon Fusco --- SIGNED LIKE-PLAYER
NT/1T Brandon Williams/Dontari Poe --- Earl Mitchell --- SIGNED SECOND TIER PLAYER
RCB A.J. Bouye (starter) --- Will Davis --- SIGNED THIRD TIER PLAYER

Additional acquisitions:
PK Robbie Gould (starter)
SCB K'Waun Williams (starter)
ILB Carl Bradford (depth)
TE Logan Paulsen (depth)
MIKE Jayson DiManche (depth)
T/G Garry Gilliam (depth)

Free agent players we should consider if the price is right:
NT: Johnathan Hankins NYG 25 / Cam Thoma LAR 30
WILL/SAM/MIKE: Zach Brown BUF 27 / Gerald Hodges SF 26 / Rey Malaluga CIN 30
ZWR: Michael Floyd NE 27 / Rod Streater SF 29
ST Returner: ? (Patterson gone)

Overall:
So far, ShanaLynch have put themselves in great position for the draft via free agency. In free agency, on offense, they immediately addressed QB, FB, C, X, Y & ZWR's, TE depth and on defense, they addressed WILL, SCB & MIKE depth/ST and on special teams, a PK. They've made a total of 42 transactions to date. That's dropping 19 and acquiring 23. We can expect 10 draft picks and 10-15 more UDFA's.

What's next:
In free agency, we weren't able to get a dominant NT/1T in Brandon Williams or Dontari Poe but ShanaLynch were able to get a second tier player in Earl Mitchell. We also tried for some top CB's but lost out on A.J. Bouye. We could certainly attack the SAM with a player like Kevin Minter or at least add depth players like with Gerald Hodges & Sean Spence. On offense, it wouldn't hurt to grab a RB2 like DuJuan Harris (signed) but the draft is deep here too or maybe add some RG depth with Andrew Tiller or ZWR depth with our own Rod Streater.

All these free agency moves means with the #2 pick in the draft, we can now address QB, a true ZWR, CB, DL, ER, LB or S and add depth for OL & RB1 & RB2 later. And with a deep TE class, we could go that route too for two-TE sets (esp. if we can't get a true ZWR).

Draft Position Strengths: DL, ER, S, CB, TE, RB
Draft Position Weaknesses: QB, OL, LB

Well done ShanaLynch (and I know you aren't done!)
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 6, 2017 at 7:51 PM ]
What seems to be the hold up with Hankins and Zack Brown? Why haven't they been signed by anybody as of today?
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
What seems to be the hold up with Hankins and Zack Brown? Why haven't they been signed by anybody as of today?

I haven't heard anything. If things keep going this way, they may be able to get Hodges, Brown, Minter, Tiller, Smith, etc. pretty inexpensively.
That would give quite the team to start the season with. Do you think they would sign all those players if they wanted to join the miners?
Thanks, NC, that lineup chart helps a lot. Looking at it that way, makes me think we want to make LB a much bigger need than i had realized. I posted we needed 3 starting LBs, but didn't realize the draft was so poor in LBs So, i guess if there is a guy there, that would give LBs preference, as long as they were on our list of BPAs...just push LBs a little further forward as far as when we take them assuming we are taking a bona fide player with the pick. It is remarkable how shalyn have set us up so we can go BPA all the way, at positions of need. They took care of the real voids. Now we try to find bona fide starters, heck maybe even an IMPACT player or two. JUst amazing they have done so much in so little time. And note no one is claiming so and so is a bust, etc, but rather everyone just smiles and realizes another slot has been filled, maybe not stater quality, but if we get a shot at starter quality or IMPACT at DL, CB, S, LB, WR, OL ...we will take him.

First thing was nailing down a qB AND his backup. No questions, complaints...it just happened and all accepted it. It left us able to pick who and where and when at QB, , a real luxury. They knew there was truly no worthy # 2 pick at QB so they secured that position first. Smart football mgmt. Then the did the same thruout, making the draft just another day at the office, where we aren't worried are we going to get that QB or not. Now it is just left to improve on what they have put on the board, and that will make this a stress less draft. Still a lot of interest re: Myles, but we still can live without him. Gotta love these two guys'

My guess their goal right now is to turn this draft into 3 starters minimum, but shoot for five, and possibly six. Now that would be something.
That would give quite the team to start the season with. Do you think they would sign all those players if they wanted to join the miners?

So one thing that stood out to me about how ShanaLynch attacked FA was in bringing in veterans who know the new systems (WCO + 4-3_under). Obviously, noted above, they've mostly gone right down my list so far.

That said, as to your question, it looks like they wanted at least one veteran at every position paired with youth (very smart).

So let's take a look:

Offensive Personnel: --- 32
QB: Brian Hoyer; Matt Barkley --- VETERAN
RB1: Carlos Hyde; Raheem Mostert --- VETERAN
RB2: DuJuan Harris; Mike Davis --- VETERAN
FB: Kyle Juszczyk --- VETERAN
TE1: Vance McDonald; Blake Bell --- VETERAN
TE2: Logan Paulsen; Garrett Celek & Je'Ron Hamm --- VETERAN
XWR: Pierre Garcon & Marquise Goodwin; DeAndre Carter & Chris Harper --- VETERAN / YOUTH
YWR: Jeremy Kerley; Aldrick Robinson, Aaron Burbridge, Bruce Ellington & Rashad Ross --- VETERAN / YOUTH
ZWR: Vacant; DeAndre Smelter & Eric Rogers --- NOBODY
LOT: Joe Staley; John Theus & Norman Price --- VETERAN
LG: Zane Beadles --- VETERAN
C: Jeremy Zuttah; Daniel Kilgore & Alex Balducci --- VETERAN
RG: Joshua Garnett --- YOUTH
ROT: Trenton Brown --- YOUTH

Defensive Personnel: --- 34
LDE/5T: DeForest Bucker; Chris Jones, Quinton Dial & Zach Moore --- VETERAN / YOUTH
NT/1T: Earl Mitchell; Mike Purcell --- VETERAN
RDT/3T: Arik Armstead; Ronald Blair --- YOUTH
RDE/LEO: Aaron Lynch; Ahmad Brooks & Tank Carradine --- YOUTH / VETERAN
SAM: Eli Harold; Carl Bradford & Dekoda Watson --- YOUTH
MIKE: Navarro Bowman; Brock Coyle & Shayne Skov --- VETERAN
WILL: Malcolm Smith; Ray-Ray Armstrong & Wynton McManis --- VETERAN / YOUTH
RCB: Tramaine Brock; Keith Reaser --- VETERAN
S/CB: Will Redmond; K'Waun Williams & Prince Charles Iwora --- YOUTH
LCB: Rashard Robinson; Dontae Johnson & JaCorey Shepherd --- YOUTH
FS: Jimmie Ward; Don Jones II & Marcus Ball --- YOUTH
SS: Jaquiski Tartt: Eric Reid & Vinnie Sunseri --- YOUTH / VETERAN

Where we need more youth:
QB
RB1 & RB2
TE
ZWR
OL

Where we need more veterans:
ZWR
SAM
MIKE
LEO
CB

...so, yeah, I could see us grabbing a few more second tier veterans at the ZWR, SAM, MIKE, LEO and/or CB to help set themselves up for the draft/youth.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 28, 2017 at 6:57 AM ]
Brooks will be at SAM over Harold IMO
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Brooks will be at SAM over Harold IMO

Potentially...off topic...but OK.

I haven't heard anything. If things keep going this way, they may be able to get Hodges, Brown, Minter, Tiller, Smith, etc. pretty inexpensively.

NYG has an offer on the table for hankins. It's been out there for a couple of weeks now. He's trying for a home run contract or maybe a SB run. I think he ends back with NYG.

I love ShanaLynch!

--- Update ---

Alright, so I had a FA plan coming in, so let's see if ShanaLynch followed a similar plan and where they are currently at. I noted some target free agents I wanted but the focus was really on the specific positions, scheme-fits and skill sets within these positions.

NC'S 2017 Free Agent Targets --- Player Acquired:
QB Brian Hoyer --- Brian Hoyer --- SIGNED ACTUAL PLAYER
WILL Malcolm Smith --- Malcolm Smith --- SIGNED ACTUAL PLAYER
YWR Jeremy Kerley --- Jeremy Kerley --- SIGNED ACTUAL PLAYER
FB Patrick DiMarco/Kyle Juszczyk --- Kyle Juszczyk --- SIGNED ACTUAL PLAYER
LDE/5T Chris Jones (depth) --- Chris Jones --- SIGNED ACTUAL PLAYER
RB2 DuJuan Harris --- DuJuan Harris --- SIGNED ACTUAL PLAYER
C J.C. Tretter --- Jeremy Zuttah --- SIGNED LIKE-PLAYER
ZWR Kenny Britt/Terrelle Pryor --- Pierre Garcon --- SIGNED LIKE-PLAYER
XWR Ted Ginn Jr. (depth) --- Marquise Goodwin, DeAndre Carter & Aldrick Robinson --- SIGNED LIKE-PLAYERS
QB Ryan Nassib (depth) --- Matt Barkley --- SIGNED LIKE-PLAYER
MIKE/ST Nick Bellore (depth) --- Brock Coyle, Don Jones II & Dekota Watson --- SIGNED LIKE-PLAYERS
NT/1T Brandon Williams/Dontari Poe --- Earl Mitchell --- SIGNED SECOND TIER PLAYER

Linked too but no signing yet:
RCB A.J. Bouye (starter) --- No Signings --- LINKED

No links thus far but important need positions:
SAM Kevin Minter (starter) --- No Signings Yet
RB1 LeGarrette Blount (depth) --- No Signings Yet
SAM Gerald Hodges (depth) --- No Signings Yet
RG Andrew Tiller (depth) --- No Signings Yet
ZWR Rod Streater (depth) --- No Signings Yet
MIKE Sean Spence (depth) --- No Signings Yet

Additional acquisitions:
PK Robbie Gould (starter)
SCB K'Waun Williams (starter)
ILB Carl Bradford (depth)
TE Logan Paulsen (depth)

Free agent players we should consider if the price is right:
NT: Johnathan Hankins NYG 25
WILL/SAM/MIKE: Zach Brown BUF 27 / Gerald Hodges SF 26 / Kevin Minter ARI 26 / Sean Spence TN 26
DE: Jared Odrick JAX 29 / Jacquies Smith 27
LG: Austin Pasztor CLE 26
RB1: LeGarrette Blount NE 30 / Tim Hightower 31
ZWR: Michael Floyd NE 27
ST Returner: ? (Patterson gone)

Overall:
So far, ShanaLynch have put themselves in great position for the draft via free agency. In free agency, on offense, they immediately addressed QB, FB, C, X, Y & ZWR's, TE depth and on defense, they addressed WILL, SCB & MIKE depth/ST and on special teams, a PK. They've made a total of 42 transactions to date. That's dropping 19 and acquiring 23. We can expect 10 draft picks and 10-15 more UDFA's.

What's next:
In free agency, we weren't able to get a dominant NT/1T in Brandon Williams or Dontari Poe but ShanaLynch were able to get a second tier player in Earl Mitchell. We also tried for some top CB's but lost out on A.J. Bouye. We could certainly attack the SAM with a player like Kevin Minter or at least add depth players like with Gerald Hodges & Sean Spence. On offense, it wouldn't hurt to grab a RB2 like DuJuan Harris (signed) but the draft is deep here too or maybe add some RG depth with Andrew Tiller or ZWR depth with our own Rod Streater.

All these free agency moves means with the #2 pick in the draft, we can now address QB, a true ZWR, CB, DL, ER, LB or S and add depth for OL & RB1 & RB2 later. And with a deep TE class, we could go that route too for two-TE sets (esp. if we can't get a true ZWR).

Draft Position Strengths: DL, ER, S, CB, TE, RB
Draft Position Weaknesses: QB, OL, LB

Well done ShanaLynch (and I know you aren't done!)

Spence signed with the colts doggie. Kevin minter with the bungles. With Harris signing I doubt we do anything else in FA except a DE.

forget Minter, he signed with the Bengals already
Originally posted by PacTiger:
NYG has an offer on the table for hankins. It's been out there for a couple of weeks now. He's trying for a home run contract or maybe a SB run. I think he ends back with NYG.
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Spence signed with the colts doggie. Kevin minter with the bungles. With Harris signing I doubt we do anything else in FA except a DE.
Originally posted by AlmighT49er:
forget Minter, he signed with the Bengals already

Thanks for the update fellas.
Thanks for the update fellas.

Welcome
These one year deals seem to become more and more normal
For FA NT, I'd like the FO to take a look at Cam Thomas NT, Rams – 6'4", 335 lbs., 30 yrs. Old, 70.4 PFF Grade 2016. 2-year deal, 1.3 mil. He's a run plugging Fat NT. Do not count on this guy for QB pressure, but he will command a double team in the run game. He was backing up Brockers and Donald.
Share 49ersWebzone