There are 168 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Good video about why cohesion between HC and GM is so important, and why there are only really a small number of teams competing for the SB every year.

[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 1, 2024 at 10:07 AM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,908
Originally posted by Heroism:
Good video about why cohesion between HC and GM is so important, and why there are only really a small number of teams competing for the SB every year.


It is true to a point, makes the working environment better, but elite QBs drive who is competing for a SB most of the time.
It must feel great as a GM to have a franchise QB and not be looking for one at this time of the year.

The season can't get here quick enough. BCB is going to do even bigger things in 2024.
[ Edited by Heroism on Mar 2, 2024 at 6:54 PM ]
We would've had at least one Super Bowl title in the last 3 years if that idiotic trade for Lance wouldn't have happened. Would've had either a little bit better o line, more solid secondary, or a little more depth. But nope. The worst trade of all time was made and generally accepted on this board. Unreal.
Originally posted by Bullrush42:
We would've had at least one Super Bowl title in the last 3 years if that idiotic trade for Lance wouldn't have happened. Would've had either a little bit better o line, more solid secondary, or a little more depth. But nope. The worst trade of all time was made and generally accepted on this board. Unreal.

Agree but it wasn't a trade for Lance, it was worse than that. It was a trade up to the #3 overall spot WITHOUT EVEN KNOWING WHO WE WERE GOING TO TAKE. And it's not like there were 3 Andrew Lucks in that draft (there never are..which is why you never give up that much to go to #3 overall months in advance)

Ugh.
[ Edited by CardinalGold on Mar 3, 2024 at 4:58 PM ]
  • Silky
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 14,844
Originally posted by Bullrush42:
We would've had at least one Super Bowl title in the last 3 years if that idiotic trade for Lance wouldn't have happened. Would've had either a little bit better o line, more solid secondary, or a little more depth. But nope. The worst trade of all time was made and generally accepted on this board. Unreal.

I believe in the butterfly effect. If we don't do the Lance trade, we don't have Purdy. If Purdy gives us moderate to high level of play consistently for the next 10 years, then he's worth those 3 firsts
Originally posted by Silky:
Originally posted by Bullrush42:
We would've had at least one Super Bowl title in the last 3 years if that idiotic trade for Lance wouldn't have happened. Would've had either a little bit better o line, more solid secondary, or a little more depth. But nope. The worst trade of all time was made and generally accepted on this board. Unreal.

I believe in the butterfly effect. If we don't do the Lance trade, we don't have Purdy. If Purdy gives us moderate to high level of play consistently for the next 10 years, then he's worth those 3 firsts

Purdy was the 262nd pick in the 2022 draft. If the 49ers like Purdy they take him at that point regardless of taking Lance #3 overall in 2021. If anything if they don't take Lance in 2021 they probably take Purdy higher in 2022.
Originally posted by Silky:
Originally posted by Bullrush42:
We would've had at least one Super Bowl title in the last 3 years if that idiotic trade for Lance wouldn't have happened. Would've had either a little bit better o line, more solid secondary, or a little more depth. But nope. The worst trade of all time was made and generally accepted on this board. Unreal.

I believe in the butterfly effect. If we don't do the Lance trade, we don't have Purdy. If Purdy gives us moderate to high level of play consistently for the next 10 years, then he's worth those 3 firsts

And no super bowls since 1995.
Originally posted by Bullrush42:
We would've had at least one Super Bowl title in the last 3 years if that idiotic trade for Lance wouldn't have happened. Would've had either a little bit better o line, more solid secondary, or a little more depth. But nope. The worst trade of all time was made and generally accepted on this board. Unreal.

This is a perfectionist way of thinking, but extremely unlikely based on history. The 49ers have more 1st round busts than they do successes since Shanahan arrived.

17 Thomas and Foster (Both busts for the 49ers)
18 Mike McGlinchy (Not retained beyond rookie contract)
19 Nick Bosa (Stud DPOY but the obvious choice for anyone much less a professional GM)
20 Kinlaw and Aiyuk (Disappointment that's unlikely to be resigned and a stud)
21 Trey Lance (Traded after 2 seasons)

Bosa was an obvious gimme that only Trent Baalke would have effed up so if you remove that obvious pick the 49ers have 1 really good player and one ok player who they didn't retain and let walk in the 7 1st round picks the that have made under Lynch/Shanahan.
[ Edited by WINiner on Mar 3, 2024 at 7:48 PM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 59,864
Please do not trade for Zach Wilson, much rather draft a QB in the 6th or 7th round.

Expect things to heat up soon, restructures, re-signings(Jauan or he gets the 2nd rd tender), plus FA begins the 11th for legal tampering period at I think noon eastern.
Originally posted by WINiner:
This is a perfectionist way of thinking, but extremely unlikely based on history. The 49ers have more 1st round busts than they do successes since Shanahan arrived.

17 Thomas and Foster (Both busts for the 49ers)
18 Mike McGlinchy (Not retained beyond rookie contract)
19 Nick Bosa (Stud DPOY but the obvious choice for anyone much less a professional GM)
20 Kinlaw and Aiyuk (Disappointment that's unlikely to be resigned and a stud)
21 Trey Lance (Traded after 2 seasons)

Bosa was an obvious gimme that only Trent Baalke would have effed up so if you remove that obvious pick the 49ers have 1 really good player and one ok player who they didn't retain and let walk in the 7 1st round picks the that have made under Lynch/Shanahan.
It was 3 first round picks for Lance so the total first round picks spent by Lynch/Shanahan is 9 so far, not 7.

And out of the 9 picks used, we netted just 2 studs as you pointed out, 4 busts, and one ok player who was not retained
[ Edited by CardinalGold on Mar 3, 2024 at 9:39 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
It must feel great as a GM to have a franchise QB and not be looking for one at this time of the year.

The season can't get here quick enough. BCB is going to do even bigger things in 2024.

For all the questions and doubts we may have, this is what makes me very happy.
This is the busiest time of the year for a GM. Over the next 2 months teams need to decide who they can keep and who they should release. then they need to see which free agents fit a need and if they can sign them. While all this is going on they have to pour over film of games and tapes from the combine as well as attend some pro days. In between all that they can try and squeeze in some sleep.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
This is the busiest time of the year for a GM. Over the next 2 months teams need to decide who they can keep and who they should release. then they need to see which free agents fit a need and if they can sign them. While all this is going on they have to pour over film of games and tapes from the combine as well as attend some pro days. In between all that they can try and squeeze in some sleep.

So are we thinking his wife handles the taxes?
Share 49ersWebzone