LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 382 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
You have to consider that there were fewer teams in 1979 and more rounds. I don't think they had all the compensatory picks at the end of rounds either since teams didn't lose players to free agency. It's harder to draft now because there are more chances that a player you target will be gone before you can draft him. Instead of 12 rounds you have 7.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
John Lynch can have the Steelers draft of 1974 this year and people will still bring up Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster.

That steeler draft and the '86 49er draft are one of NFL histories top drafts.
Personally, I give a pass to ShanaLynch with regards to their first draft - both were too inexperienced - to have a stellar draft the way a veteran coach would draft.

Having said that, with a lot of experience now underneath their belt, I'm looking for them to really do well this next draft because of the number of picks they already have. No need to trade down like the '86 draft.

Also Solomon was a top prospect that year and Foster was seen as an absolute steal that year. Sometimes what is seen as a good draft at the time just doesn't pan out.

Very true. Also what was once a throw-em-away pick becomes a super star. Niether Craig or Rathman had much pass catching experience in college, but they surprised me (and maybe even Walsh) how well both caught the pass at the NFL level. You just never know, but if you are a good coach, you can use whatever talents they have and maybe develop one's they think they don't even have -- and they become better than their draft position.
Very true. Also what was once a throw-em-away pick becomes a super star. Niether Craig or Rathman had much pass catching experience in college, but they surprised me (and maybe even Walsh) how well both caught the pass at the NFL level. You just never know, but if you are a good coach, you can use whatever talents they have and maybe develop one's they think they don't even have -- and they become better than their draft position.

This is why the combines and individual workouts are so important. The 40 times and weight lifting make good show but what's really important is coaches can see these guys in various drills and spot things like pass catching ability that may have never been used in college. Craig and Rathman were pretty much used as lead blockers for the featured RBs at Nebraska. The idea of passing to a RB was a foreign concept to Tom Osborne.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

This is why the combines and individual workouts are so important. The 40 times and weight lifting make good show but what's really important is coaches can see these guys in various drills and spot things like pass catching ability that may have never been used in college. Craig and Rathman were pretty much used as lead blockers for the featured RBs at Nebraska. The idea of passing to a RB was a foreign concept to Tom Osborne.

Great points! and guys like Hyder - on the defensive side - I never would have thought he'd do as well as he's done with Kocurek. It's those scheme-fit draft picks that make a HC's career. Now, with Jimmy injured and Mullen's tommy john possible injury, we need more QB depth. Kyle got, what I think, is a perfect scheme fit for his offense in Josh Rosen. We shall see.
Crazy thread.

Great points! and guys like Hyder - on the defensive side - I never would have thought he'd do as well as he's done with Kocurek. It's those scheme-fit draft picks that make a HC's career. Now, with Jimmy injured and Mullen's tommy john possible injury, we need more QB depth. Kyle got, what I think, is a perfect scheme fit for his offense in Josh Rosen. We shall see.

I have no idea about Rosen, although one can but hope. But the point about Hyder is excellent, the guy has been a real eye opener.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Crazy thread.

Even a Blind Fat Andy can strike it right at the QB spot once and a while.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:

I have no idea about Rosen, although one can but hope. But the point about Hyder is excellent, the guy has been a real eye opener.

With the talent spread so evenly across the NFL, the coaches begin to matter a lot. Coaches that can spot a player (or a whole team) and elevate their play even just 1% will have a huge advantage over the rest of the NFL. Most regular season games, there is only a handful of plays that make or break a game at the NFL level. If you do the math (60 offensive and defensive plays = total 120) Take 5 plays = that equals to about 4% of the total plays, and if a coach can change 1/4 of those handful of plays to his advantage -- that coach will be a winner.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
John Lynch can have the Steelers draft of 1974 this year and people will still bring up Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster.

Of course. Doesn't your wife always remind you of that mistake many many years ago?

I have two women friends that CONSTANTLY bring up one thing lol.
Crazy thread.

Adds fuel to me being okay with waiting until next year to trade up for a QB of necessary. Use this draft to load up with players on cheap contracts and if Jimmy can't get it done, trade up. That way we at least have a complete roster before we start giving up multiple picks in the draft over across a few years.

Personally, I give a pass to ShanaLynch with regards to their first draft - both were too inexperienced - to have a stellar draft the way a veteran coach would draft.

Having said that, with a lot of experience now underneath their belt, I'm looking for them to really do well this next draft because of the number of picks they already have. No need to trade down like the '86 draft.

I am looking to see them work the board a little better. With that said, I'd like to come out of this draft with 3 or 4 immediate/future starters and some role players. I want to see our offense operating better and hope they go with Slater in round 1. Fills a need and is a contingency plan if we have to move on from MM. If MM turns out to be simply adequate then we have top notch guard play. Add an edge, a corner that is can play man or zone,and a center to develop (I full expect a vet to start). That would be a perfect day 1 and 2 for me.
Originally posted by Cisco0623:

Of course. Doesn't your wife always remind you of that mistake many many years ago?

I have two women friends that CONSTANTLY bring up one thing lol.
Crazy thread.

Adds fuel to me being okay with waiting until next year to trade up for a QB of necessary. Use this draft to load up with players on cheap contracts and if Jimmy can't get it done, trade up. That way we at least have a complete roster before we start giving up multiple picks in the draft over across a few years.

I am looking to see them work the board a little better. With that said, I'd like to come out of this draft with 3 or 4 immediate/future starters and some role players. I want to see our offense operating better and hope they go with Slater in round 1. Fills a need and is a contingency plan if we have to move on from MM. If MM turns out to be simply adequate then we have top notch guard play. Add an edge, a corner that is can play man or zone,and a center to develop (I full expect a vet to start). That would be a perfect day 1 and 2 for me.

Hahahaha. Yeah. This is going to be an interesting off season. For me it's JG never stays healthy and his QB decision making has regressed as has his mobility- sort of a cascading issue and spiral etc.

So it's at what cost can we go with a different qb. Is it worth it etc. If we stay with Jimmy then how should we draft based on FA results etc. obviously hindsight will be 20/20 let's just hope the consensus is we understand their logic as this unfolds lol
[ Edited by Cisco0623 on Jan 24, 2021 at 11:13 AM ]

Smart play
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

Man we are rumored to get everyone. Jimmy will prolly be the starter next year lol
Originally posted by Young2Owens:
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

Man we are rumored to get everyone. Jimmy will prolly be the starter next year lol

0% chance this will happen but this would be unfair to the rest of the league. Top 5 defense, with rogers throwing to deebo, aiyuk, kittle and having a top 3 rushing attack?????? . This could literally be top 3 defense, top 3 run game, and top 3 passing attack
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I'm now thinking that we'll be sending Grappy to Tampa Bay if they win the Super Bowl as Tom retires..
Share 49ersWebzone