There are 180 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by rathman4481:
I think people fail to see that we overachieved in 2019 IMO.

I think we were a lot better than what we had for talent.

its widely acknowledged that we have a top 5 roster, maybe top 3

49ers talent is overrated
Crappy Oline, McGlinchey is very overrated and the right OG and C suck badly ... and we have no CB's or safeties plus our QB is questionable and missing a DE
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Great news! $5m more in space = one major contract

Originally posted by okdkid:

Ah the Jason Verrett fund
In case you needed to know how the franchises around the league view the Shanalynch regime:

"Here is also a person [Saleh] who comes from one of the healthiest organizational structures in professional sports; a team whose draft- and free-agency-to-field pipeline has been envied by opponents around the league."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/15/new-york-jets-robert-saleh-identity
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by okdkid:

Ah the Jason Verrett fund

I think Verrett and Hyder will stay. K'waun Williams, Sherman, and Bourne to the Jets.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
3 out of the 5 years, Lynch and Co have now drafted basically the #1 player @ that said position.... Kittle #1 TE, Warner #1 LB, Bosa (Could still be#1 next year) i'll give him credit for that, but they've missed on a few as well unfortunately..

Good point. Aiyuk is going to be up there next year. A for missing, which GM doesn't? I'd take the 49ers drafts of the past four years over half of the NFL easily. Have to be top-10 over the time frame.

I agree for the most part, but the 2 first round pick misses in 2017 are a big blow.
Originally posted by captveg:
In case you needed to know how the franchises around the league view the Shanalynch regime:

"Here is also a person [Saleh] who comes from one of the healthiest organizational structures in professional sports; a team whose draft- and free-agency-to-field pipeline has been envied by opponents around the league."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/15/new-york-jets-robert-saleh-identity

They're no Trent Baalke though.

Originally posted by steiber:
3 out of the 5 years, Lynch and Co have now drafted basically the #1 player @ that said position.... Kittle #1 TE, Warner #1 LB, Bosa (Could still be#1 next year) i'll give him credit for that, but they've missed on a few as well unfortunately..

Good point. Aiyuk is going to be up there next year. A for missing, which GM doesn't? I'd take the 49ers drafts of the past four years over half of the NFL easily. Have to be top-10 over the time frame.

I agree for the most part, but the 2 first round pick misses in 2017 are a big blow.

Walsh's first pick in 1979 (Rd 2, #29 overall) was the bust RB/WR James Owens. Huge bust.

In fact, Walsh's 1979 draft is eerily like the Shanalynch 2017 draft - boom or bust.

Montana and Clark + 8 busts; none of the 8 busts were even on the 1981 Super Bowl roster they were so bad. At least with the 2017 class Thomas, Witherspoon, Beathard and Taylor stuck around on the roster as role players or backups for 4 seasons each.

It's not all about the draft.
[ Edited by captveg on Jan 19, 2021 at 4:57 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captveg:

Walsh's first pick in 1979 (Rd 2, #29 overall) was the bust RB/WR James Owens. Huge bust.

In fact, Walsh's 1979 draft is eerily like the Shanalynch 2017 draft - boom or bust.

Montana and Clark + 8 busts; none of the 8 busts were even on the 1981 Super Bowl roster they were so bad. At least with the 2017 class Thomas, Witherspoon, Beathard and Taylor stuck around on the roster as role players or backups for 4 seasons each.

It's not all about the draft.

Keep in mind back then, Walsh didn't need to deal with the Eddie Debartolo rule (the cap rules). Having said that - just by the look and feel of the drafts, the 2020 draft is a hell of a lot better than the A. J. Jenkins draft. That draft stank to high heaven. I agree that what Drchowder said about ShanaLynch picking the #1 player at said position these past few drafts. If they continue that, it's a dynasty in the making.

Agree with you that it's not all about the draft. There have been some notable undrafteds that have made the team and performed like mid round draft picks. Mullens, Brieda, and Bourne come to mind. I just feel that ShanaLynch is drafting way better than HaarBaalke during their stretch of similar years.
JL has done better than I expected,shall we pull up some of the early posts from this thread?

Over the past 4 years includes the first round whiffs of 2017. They. Will. Happen. To all 32 teams. Its unavoidable so continuing to harp on it when this regime has shown they can add talent and add it at a faster rate than most of the NFL serves what purpose?
John Lynch can have the Steelers draft of 1974 this year and people will still bring up Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
John Lynch can have the Steelers draft of 1974 this year and people will still bring up Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster.

That steeler draft and the '86 49er draft are one of NFL histories top drafts.
Personally, I give a pass to ShanaLynch with regards to their first draft - both were too inexperienced - to have a stellar draft the way a veteran coach would draft.

Having said that, with a lot of experience now underneath their belt, I'm looking for them to really do well this next draft because of the number of picks they already have. No need to trade down like the '86 draft.
Originally posted by Giedi:

That steeler draft and the '86 49er draft are one of NFL histories top drafts.
Personally, I give a pass to ShanaLynch with regards to their first draft - both were too inexperienced - to have a stellar draft the way a veteran coach would draft.

Having said that, with a lot of experience now underneath their belt, I'm looking for them to really do well this next draft because of the number of picks they already have. No need to trade down like the '86 draft.

Also Solomon was a top prospect that year and Foster was seen as an absolute steal that year. Sometimes what is seen as a good draft at the time just doesn't pan out.

Of course. Doesn't your wife always remind you of that mistake many many years ago?
Share 49ersWebzone