LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I was just looking at some of the 49ers bigger contracts.

For Jimmie Ward, they only save a bit under $1.5M by cutting him next offseason, he has $9.5M in dead money($6M signing bonus and $3.5M in GHTD base salary in 2021), where they'd save $5.86M by restructuring him.

For Kwon Alexander, they would save about $8.573M if they cut him, $9.18M by restructuring him.

For Jimmy Garoppolo, they would save $24M if they cut or trade him, $18.42M by restructuring him.

For Dee Ford, they would save $6.121M by cutting him, $11.26M by restructuring him.

For Weston Richburg, they would save $4.708M by declining his option, or $5.42M by restructuring him.

For Arik Armstead, they wouldn't save anything by cutting him, they'd have a negative $15.65M hit, while they'd save $4.528M by restructuring him.

The only other ways of creating cap room in 2021 would be to these.

For Laken Tomlinson, they would save $3.994M by cutting him, $2.808M by restructuring him, so obviously you cut him, as you save more.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
Originally posted by goldlame2013:
No they let Buckner and Sanders go and foolishly assumed that Kinlaw and Aiyuk were going to adequately replace them. It hasn't been close.

Aiyuk is better than Sanders but we don´t have a QB to show it.

I don't understand that post. Aiyuk looks great and he's only going to get better.

Meanwhile Sanders best football is probably behind him.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

For Jimmie Ward, they only save a bit under $1.5M by cutting him next offseason, he has $9.5M in dead money($6M signing bonus and $3.5M in GHTD base salary in 2021), where they'd save $5.86M by restructuring him.

For Kwon Alexander, they would save about $8.573M if they cut him, $9.18M by restructuring him.

For Jimmy Garoppolo, they would save $24M if they cut or trade him, $18.42M by restructuring him.

For Dee Ford, they would save $6.121M by cutting him, $11.26M by restructuring him.

For Weston Richburg, they would save $4.708M by declining his option, or $5.42M by restructuring him.

For Arik Armstead, they wouldn't save anything by cutting him, they'd have a negative $15.65M hit, while they'd save $4.528M by restructuring him.

For Laken Tomlinson, they would save $3.994M by cutting him, $2.808M by restructuring him, so obviously you cut him, as you save more.

This is really important information. The FO has some real discussions upcoming.

Man, this team really f**ked itself. These are the types of moves/contracts that get GMs canned. All that money wasted on players who don't play or who are not playing well.
Originally posted by Monsterniner:
No they let Buckner and Sanders go and foolishly assumed that Kinlaw and Aiyuk were going to adequately replace them. It hasn't been close.

Aiyuk is better than Sanders but we don´t have a QB to show it.

Aiyuk isn't a deep threat like Sanders.
Have you forgotten last season the offense was going no where? Then Sanders shows up and the offense took off like a rocket ship? Coincidentally have you noticed since Sanders left the offense looks like it did prior to Sanders coming?
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Have you forgotten last season the offense was going no where? Then Sanders shows up and the offense took off like a rocket ship? Coincidentally have you noticed since Sanders left the offense looks like it did prior to Sanders coming?

People say this but Sanders averaged in his 9-10 games with us the same amount as yards and catches as Pettis and Goodwin did the 1st 6- games prior to Sanders coming. Also, the offense "taking off" after the Sanders trade coincided with our schedule getting tougher and us having to throw more.

I'm not saying Sanders didn't improve the offense. I'm just saying he didn't improve to the degree that some makes it sound.
Originally posted by NCommand:

This is really important information. The FO has some real discussions upcoming.

All the people that are constantly complaining that the Niners need to pick up this guy or that guy need to read this. They've moved money around to the point that they are now up against the wall. It's the reason that Lynch said they were unlikely to trade any picks and more likely to try and add some. With the possibility of several players leaving they will need all the rookie contracts to fill holes.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Time to do a major tune up to the roster. IMO
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

All the people that are constantly complaining that the Niners need to pick up this guy or that guy need to read this. They've moved money around to the point that they are now up against the wall. It's the reason that Lynch said they were unlikely to trade any picks and more likely to try and add some. With the possibility of several players leaving they will need all the rookie contracts to fill holes.

So you're saying it would be better to stick with ward, richburg, ford

This team's cap situation is horrible. They need to spend a year cleaning the books. So much trash that need to get pruned.

Also I read that the cap is going down because of Covid
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
This team's cap situation is horrible. They need to spend a year cleaning the books. So much trash that need to get pruned.

Also I read that the cap is going down because of Covid

So you have to look at cutting Richburg, Kwon and Ford more now!!!
Yea, i think they're going to have to take a hit for a season to get back up.

These contracts are horrible, all majority of guys who haven't played many games in the last 2 seasons.

Dee Ford should have never happened.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

Really have to wonder why the big investment on Ward.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Shanalynch blew the offseason. Hopefully they do better this offseason.

How? Cause they didn't spend a ton on overrated FAs? They had literally no cap room, their only big signing were AA(Good IMO), Ward(Iffy), and Kittle(Awesome), the rest were low-end deals, they found some good players, like Kerry Hyder, they drafted some solid kids like Aiyuk and Kinlaw, signed Hasty as a UDFA, hung onto guys like Wilson, Brunskill, Moseley, Mullens, Harris, etc... Signed cheap vets like Reed, Cyprien, Walker. There wasn't much they could do, the answer isn't always to go out and sign expensive free agents, that hardly works out, teams constantly do this, and end up cutting those players or trading them. Cause they weren't worth those deals, remember fans wanted Trumaine Johnson at CB, he went to the Jets, has since been cut, people wanted Malik Jackson, got traded, Olivier Vernon, got traded, Allen Robinson, still a Bear, but has dealt with injuries, players like Trae Waynes, Byron Jones got overpaid, BIG TIME, people liked Dontari Poe, he just got cut by Dallas, Gerald McCoy got injured, and released, a lot of FAs got overpaid, and ended up not playing out those deals. Happens every offseason, you're better off drafting well, and re-signing your own, and signing low end FAs like a Hyder.

We would be a lot better off right now with Buckner and Moore starting over AA and Ward. Could've still drafted Aiyuk and let Sanders walk. You don't let all pro d lineman out the door. No rookie should've been expected to replace Buck. And this was a win now roster not win in 3 years roster.

I don't think they expected Kinlaw to be the one to replace Buck, they hopes a combo of Kinlaw, Jones, and Solly would do it. Plus DeFo was never getting the $21M a yr here that the Colts gave him, face it, the 49ers made the right choice, they got the 13th pick, ended up with a good DT for the future, Kinlaw will be a beast IMO, and Aiyuk has out performed Sanders so far, he does way more than Sanders ever could.

Also Buck would have never been starting over AA, since AA is a DE, Buck is a 3T/DT, too different positions in this scheme, yes Buck played on the EDGE in the 3-4 for us, but that was still more like the 3T/DT spot IMO. Ward is an easy cut in the offseason if they choose to do so, he had a good 2019, hopefully he can bounce back, if not, cut bait, start Moore, or get Sherman to play FS, re-sign Tartt for sure, same with K'Waun and D.J. Jones.

Also I'm not mad about Deebo in the 2nd in 2019, he was the right pick, Hurd is another story, but DK was gone by the time Hurd was picked, I have hopes for Hurd still, he had a bad break with the ACL, let's see if he can come back from it before calling him a bad pick.

I know they play two different positions the fact is we chose AA, Ward and a draft pick over Buck. And betting on ST to step up is just a foolish thought. I thought we would see more out of DJ Jones. They need to keep Williams. I'm fine with letting Sherm walk as well. He doesn't have the fluid hips or range to be a FS in my opinion. And his calf issues aren't going to get better. Maybe another 1 year deal at best. I'm fine with Deebo but DK is clearly a better player. It was time to dump Ward 2 or 3 seasons ago.
Share 49ersWebzone