LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 298 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Yes luck and skill in terms of being able to find back-ups who could come in and fill-in while starters were out, and thank goodness the starters who were hurt came back strong. So why (again) rely 100% on Ford and Richburg to bring things home, play most every snap and include them in the process? Garland is back-up and he should be treated as such, not a starter. Hyder and Blair? Hyder only came as a favor to the DL coach. It's super hard to convince me that a player that hasn't latched on with any team was the strategic answer to sub for Ford as a compliment to Bosa. That's really hard to accept. When was the last time Blair was healthy and played a whole season? Garland was back-up but we still were committed, hoping, praying that Richburg would be back. Same for Jones - when has DJ played a complete season?

Why has it become so outside reason to ask "if player x hasn't been healthy, why should we project that player to consistently, reliably be healthy for another season as a key starter?" Ziggy was bottom of the barrel because he himself isn't even healthy. That seems more like desperation than a plan.

Every player is one hit away from not being healthy.

So they should've overhauled their entire roster to get some mythically 100% healthy players.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Sep 21, 2020 at 11:03 PM ]
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
Did John Lynch "Armstead" Jed York???

Hear me out. Armstead performed well for 1 year, was s**tty the remainder of his career. 49ers had one good year so far under Shannalynch. Would not be surpsied if it takes another few years to get back.

Terrible decisions by Lynch:

1. Solomon Thomas
2. Reuben Foster
3. Dee Ford (2nd rd pick!)
4. Emmanuel Sanders (3rd rd pick for a rental)
5. Mcglinchey
6. spoon
7. Aiyuk over Lamb or Jeudy
8. Kwon (Meh)
9. Armstead over Buckner
10. The punter in th 4th
11. No #1 receiver
12. No lead back
13. Offensive line sucks outside of Trent (neglected center)
14. No cornerback to play opposite Sherman who is already aging)
15. Mediocre safeties.

The niners were fortunate to go to the superbowl last year. Everything fell in its place. Its going to be extremely difficult to go back. Especially with all the questionable decisions being made.

I agree with with 3 things on this list. The rest are just dumb
^^
Originally posted by Hopper:
What do you expect from Jose Cortez.

Where is Larry Allen when you need him.

Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Hear me out. Armstead performed well for 1 year, was s**tty the remainder of his career. 49ers had one good year so far under Shannalynch. Would not be surpsied if it takes another few years to get back.

1. Solomon Thomas
2. Reuben Foster
5. Mcglinchey
6. spoon
8. Kwon (Meh)
9. Armstead over Buckner
10. The punter in th 4th
11. No #1 receiver
12. No lead back
15. Mediocre safeties.

The niners were fortunate to go to the superbowl last year. Everything fell in its place. Its going to be extremely difficult to go back. Especially with all the questionable decisions being made.

I agree with with 3 things on this list. The rest are just dumb

This
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:

1. Solomon Thomas
2. Reuben Foster
5. Mcglinchey
6. spoon
8. Kwon (Meh)
9. Armstead over Buckner
10. The punter in th 4th
11. No #1 receiver
12. No lead back
15. Mediocre safeties.

So you bring out all the negatives but not a single mentioned of the positives to compare which is greater? Meh..

You NAILED it 808!!

1. Solomon Thomas
2. Reuben Foster
5. Mcglinchey
6. spoon
8. Kwon (Meh)
9. Armstead over Buckner
10. The punter in th 4th
11. No #1 receiver
12. No lead back
15. Mediocre safeties.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
i am a bit upset he brought in ziggy and called it good
Originally posted by cciowa:

Might not be done. I think they might call up Darrion Daniels (DT) who was having a pretty good camp.

AA might play more on the outside on passing downs as well.

I think we will be in much better shape when Blair and Taylor return. Two key depth pieces at DE and DT.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I think we will be in much better shape when Blair and Taylor return. Two key depth pieces at DE and DT.

OTC is that after next week we get them back or are they on the 6 week IR? Can't wait to get some reinforcements.

Unfortunately, we can't play them until week 7 at the earliest. Until then, we're likely going to have to hope we don't need to tap into our PS much more. We will probably have to sign Jordan from the PS if Ford is going to be out long term.

DT: Jones, Kinlaw, Givens, Street
DE: Armstead, Hyder, Ansah

That's all the healthy guys we've got right now. We might be able to get by at DT, but we need another DE.

Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by mattster03:
Originally posted by NCommand:

This engineer would like to know what they are checking. Are they actually seeing what the coefficient of friction is for the playing surface in the sun? Doubt it. They probably just check the certifications of the artificial surface and say, "Yep! Good to go!"

They saw, "San Francisco at Giants" and said, "Nothing to see here. Move along."

I wonder if the training staff has any input on this and if they didn't, maybe they should? How is it the players were interviewed as saying "wow the field sure is sticky" and there was no input by the training staff at this point nor is there discussion of what that might be this coming week?

Second, JL has to understand his SB run was luck healthwise and we were able to do a great job with depth and Sanders coming free when he did to give us that last push. IMHO, and I've said this before, this team relies too heavily on players with injury history on THIS TEAM as primary contributors/starters. It's almost like playing with one hand behind your back. You knew Ford, Richburg, and Jones are almost guaranteed to miss significant time yet there was no plan around them.

I'm not saying Lynch should go AT ALL, I'm just hoping we're learning lessons every year like Pettis doesn't deserve a roster spot, Hurd was a project/longshot, Trent Taylor and Bourne are 5/6 WR spots and you only have 2 WRs on the roster who are even qualified for spots 1 - 4. The Sanu decision should have been made once Deebo was injured because they knew James wouldn't be ready and there was way too much confidence put in Hurd, Pettis and Benjamin - two players who haven't played on down for the team (yet) and either had come in with a long injury history or was a rook. I'm just saying personnel lessons could be learned here.

As far as Ford, it seems clear the FO had its doubts about Ford due to all the smoke around Clowney and they brought in Ansah who's probably not even healthy given he already wasn't acquired after one visit. So the entire pass-rush was Bosa, a notoriously unhealthy Jones and AA (who really isn't a Edge) and hoping Thomas would get better. Again, just some lessons to be learned. Cap-wise, we're paying for that Ford gambit this year.

So our draft again looks like Edge, WR, OL/CB, LB.

GM, i agree there was a time when we had to draft /FA/trade for guys with questionable medical hx (history), but by last yr, we had the talent that this was no longer the case. However, we STILL had the guys we brot aboard injured on the team. We got to the point last yr where we didn't need to be bringing in guys with medical hx....then the SB comes around and we went with what...5 DLs total DJ out, plus 2others. Then this yr we get short sheeted on practice time (like everyone else) and this greatly contributed to our injury list this yr.

then covid, and BANG! Not enough practice and we have 3 or 4 starters out game 1 and now 2 games in we are missing our 2 best O players, Kittle and JimmyG, our best D player, Nicky B, Dee our best DE, our best RB, and some 30 odd other players (or is it more) that have been on IR of PUP since beginning of first OTAs. And now we bring in an injured guy, Ansah...but GM...we are at our last gasp. Injured or not we need guys who can play. I have no problem with a signing of a questionable guy health wise like Ansah. If he can play fine. If not, next guy up off the "available" list.

but as you well know, we don't have a choice at present. We still ahve to fill out our O and D players and if injury hx, we aren't in a position to choose. It is what ever is available that is out there. We can't find fault with that. We are beggars right now, not choosers.

And like it or not, if Mullie gets injured, well, we have CJ , hence a good decision to carry 3 QBs.

This yr is "Covid's Curse".

What were you expecting? Some high priced vet from another team that would cost a lot of draft capital and cap room?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

What were you expecting? Some high priced vet from another team that would cost a lot of draft capital and cap room?

calm down. who said high priced vet. ziggy was not that cheap and in our situation we may have to pay a bit.. 85 made a nice list of people in the free agent forum and many were worth a look. and who knows. a clay mathews may not to crazy with pay demands for a chance to play on a good football team. i was hoping to bring in another guy but if they think ziggy can be a very respectable replacement for bosa and most of us know that a guy on the practice squad is most likely better than thomas thats fine. no one is attacking lynch here so you can calm down
No actually they should sign any and every player even if they have an injury because who cares about availability. At *some* point they'll be able to play right? Since we can't have the mythical 100% healthy player, might as well go for broke on the other extreme.

Of course I'm being sarcastic. And bud you're the kind of straw man arguments. I never at all said there are 100% healthy players and that it's even possible to have 53 100% healthy players. LOL. But to hell with it, let's just sign and project starters who are already injured. Who knows, they could be healthy by next season. No rush. We have time. It's just all luck anyways.

Richburg and Ford got their money. You can't cut them or you take a big cap hit. So you try and restructure to help the rest of the roster. But that does mean you can't sign a bunch of starter quality types. That's the reality of the NFL, no one has backups that can come in and start at a high level.

What starting caliber guy wants to come in here with Bosa and Ford already here? Who wants to come here with Richburg locked up?
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on Sep 22, 2020 at 1:15 PM ]
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

calm down. who said high priced vet. ziggy was not that cheap and in our situation we may have to pay a bit.. 85 made a nice list of people in the free agent forum and many were worth a look. and who knows. a clay mathews may not to crazy with pay demands for a chance to play on a good football team. i was hoping to bring in another guy but if they think ziggy can be a very respectable replacement for bosa and most of us know that a guy on the practice squad is most likely better than thomas thats fine. no one is attacking lynch here so you can calm down

Clay had a chance to sign elsewhere but they couldn't agree to money, like with the 49ers and Ansah this offseason until now. Yeah he got a good amount, $3M, I didn't expect the 49ers to pay that, but they had to to get a decent EDGE rusher in. Highly doubt Clay takes less than Ansah got.

As for someone to replace Thomas, idk, I like Marcell Dareus, but I also like Darrion Daniels on the PS.
Share 49ersWebzone