John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by NinersFan52:
Originally posted by NCommand:
If Lynch didn't make a call about Adams, why call on Clowney?

Adams would've cost a lot if draft capital knowing he was gone after this year. Clowney could be signed on a slight discount knowing he is gone after this year, of course this is assuming they figure they are too far apart with Kittle to get a deal done.

Or it could be a negotiation strategy with Kittle... accept our offer or we will use the cap space we have saved for you this year elsewhere.

I can't see them signing Clowney, they only have $11.8M in cap room, and we can't use it all on Clowney, we need to have money for our Practice Squad, plus we need to keep money for in season emergencies. I don't see Clowney taking the minimum, it'd be nice as a rotational EDGE rusher, but I doubt he takes that. He seems dead set on getting a huge number.

They may give him a call and see if he's willing to take a low contract to spite his former team and get a ring.

I mean, worked with DeMarcus Cousins 🤷‍♂️

I think without a doubt, Clowney would consider a one year contract, on a team that's destined to go back to the Super Bowl.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I guess it's possible AA or Ford may opt out, but idk, seems more likely this rumor is BS, we can't afford Clowney and Kittle, plus have money for in season roster moves. I hope no 49ers opt out.

We're okay with Kittle this year. Any new agreement would stretch the money out over the next few years. I have no idea how much it would cost to sign Clowney. He may sign for less just to get back at the Seahawks. I'm sure it would be a one year del with a possible option.
Get back at the Seahawks for what? Seattle guaranteed they wouldn't FT him and they kept their word lol nobody wants 3 sacks for $20 mil
Originally posted by Prez-Adams:
Get back at the Seahawks for what? Seattle guaranteed they wouldn't FT him and they kept their word lol nobody wants 3 sacks for $20 mil

In his mind, he may be upset that they won't sign him to a new contract. Who knows how these guys think? He may also see an opportunity playing in SF opposite Bosa and platooning with Ford so they both can stay healthy. He would see less double teaming than he did in Seattle. It would be more like when he played with Watt.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Aug 1, 2020 at 3:44 PM ]
I guess it's possible AA or Ford may opt out, but idk, seems more likely this rumor is BS, we can't afford Clowney and Kittle, plus have money for in season roster moves. I hope no 49ers opt out.

We're okay with Kittle this year. Any new agreement would stretch the money out over the next few years. I have no idea how much it would cost to sign Clowney. He may sign for less just to get back at the Seahawks. I'm sure it would be a one year del with a possible option.

On your old account, in the SEA thread, you called Clowney a top 3 DE lol.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGore49er:

Man, talk about total recall.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by TheGore49er:

Man, talk about total recall.

• Giedi
  • Veteran

It wouldn't take up much cap room wise to extend Kittle in 2020, he'd probably only have a $10M signing bonus, meaning $2M in cap room. And likely a $10M cap hit in 2021, but Clowney? Idk how much or how low he'd go, would he take less than $5M? He seemed dead set on $20M, he turned down a big offer from Cleveland, hell he turned down more from Seattle, and he isn't getting that now from either. Looks bad on his part, shows how greedy he was/is.
I agree, and I'll just add that I'm wondering whether he'd be a good culture fit for the 49ers. I know he's talented, but I'm wondering if he'd negatively influence Kinlaw and Bosa from a team culture/attitude point of view.
Nice!

Daniel Brunskill, Damontre Moore and Alex Barrett.

Adam Peters will be busy next off season.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Nice!

Daniel Brunskill, Damontre Moore and Alex Barrett.

Adam Peters will be busy next off season.

Will he try to Poach Kittle from us and play in his league?

Originally posted by NYniner85:

Interesting. When they didn't bring back Damontre Moore and went with Alex Barrett, I had a feeling they were looking for something else.

We certainly need some Ford and Blair insurance.

This is keeping with the "veteran depth" theme we've seen more this off season. I think with 16 on the PS and 4 protected, this is a smart move.
[ Edited by NCommand on Aug 4, 2020 at 10:49 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Interesting. When they didn't bring back Damontre Moore and went with Alex Barrett, I had a feeling they were looking for something else.

We certainly need some Ford and Blair insurance.

He's always injured, but as a rotational ER who is well versed in the W9 and knows Kocurek extensively, I'm fine if incentive laden
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
He's always injured, but as a rotational ER who is well versed in the W9 and knows Kocurek extensively, I'm fine if incentive laden

Same. Naturally, the connection. But I just posted this above in edit.

This is keeping with the "veteran depth" theme we've seen more this off season. I think with 16 on the PS and 4 protected, this is a smart move.
LOL. Seriously.

Hoov debating those numbers in 3...2...1.
LOL. Seriously.

Hoov debating those numbers in 3...2...1.

I'm not sure what the coaching staff has against Damontre Moore. He seemed to be effective whenever he played. Though nobody else seems to be in a hurry to sign him either.
Share 49erswebzone