There are 74 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Bellaleo:
Originally posted by diehardniners408:
Has it ever fully been elaborated as to what Harbaugh's problem was with Sherman while coaching at Stanford? I always just hear Sherman was pissed at Harbaugh because he heard he didn't give him any positive reviews leading up to the draft, which in Sherman's mind, caused him to fall to the 5th round. Anyone know anything more than that?

Seems pretty obvious, Richard is a smart cat who wouldn't buy into what a Neanderthal like Jim would be selling. Jim realized this and wanted no part of Richard.

It stemmed JH and one if the other coaches who he brought here from Stanford, blanking on the name, thinking Sherman was a diva and didn't care for him when he was a WR, which we all know he had a mouth. Then JH moved him to CB and it went downhill further. Couple that with the fact that Sherman felt JH went out if his way to badmouth him prior to the draft. Those 2 were just a bad combo.
Harbaugh may have been the one to originally light the fire in Shermans belly.
Originally posted by scottym:

Totally agree
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Now throw this monkey wrench into the pot. It sounds like ol' Jimbo had plenty of veto power matched up with Baalke. I always assumed it was Baalke who got the first pick and Jimbo got the 2nd as those players seemed to add up to each guys personal philosophy. But it sounds like it went beyond the 2nd pick too for Jimbo.

Instead they took Chris Culliver in the 3rd round. Imagine what happens if Sherman is a 49er instead of Culliver? Even if Sherman busted and never develops into a HoFer, it changes so much of what happens in those SEA/SF battles of 2012/13. Plus that Culliver goof up in the SB game smh.

Thanks for pointing all that out!
Lol
Originally posted by Jeepzilla:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Now throw this monkey wrench into the pot. It sounds like ol' Jimbo had plenty of veto power matched up with Baalke. I always assumed it was Baalke who got the first pick and Jimbo got the 2nd as those players seemed to add up to each guys personal philosophy. But it sounds like it went beyond the 2nd pick too for Jimbo.

Instead they took Chris Culliver in the 3rd round. Imagine what happens if Sherman is a 49er instead of Culliver? Even if Sherman busted and never develops into a HoFer, it changes so much of what happens in those SEA/SF battles of 2012/13. Plus that Culliver goof up in the SB game smh.

Thanks for pointing all that out!
Lol

Not saying Culliver is better than Sherman, but Sherman also goofed up in the most recent super bowl game. The only reason Sherman has a ring is because of that zebra infested NFC champ game... Would def love it if he brings us a ring though.
Originally posted by Bellaleo:
Originally posted by scottym:

Totally agree

Sherman was mainly upset he was recruited to play WR and switched to DB. You can see the diva WR in him.

Harbaugh basically made him rich and got him into the HOF
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Sherman was mainly upset he was recruited to play WR and switched to DB. You can see the diva WR in him.

HA Harbaugh basically said he wasn't good enough to play in the NFL by passing on him over and over AND Sherman asked to be switched, not told....In fact Harbs wasn't sold on him moving to CB at first.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/236424-making-the-switch-richard-sherman-turning-heads-as-a-cornerback

Just another Harbs story taken out of context to make him sound better than he was
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 29, 2020 at 6:19 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

HA Harbaugh basically said he wasn't good enough to play in the NFL by passing on him over and over AND Sherman asked to be switched, not told....In fact Harbs wasn't sold on him moving to CB at first.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/236424-making-the-switch-richard-sherman-turning-heads-as-a-cornerback

Just another Harbs story taken out of context to make him sound better than he was

The Harbaugh - Sherman tiff is an interesting side story. I think now that Harbaugh is gone and Sherman is here, the 49er organization is doing it's best to side with who they got right now. Prior to that, they were publicly siding with Harbaugh, because he was head coach. All in all, I'm still disappointed in Harbaugh's inability to win against the big teams in his College Division. Now I'm inclined to think the offensive wizardry was the result of David Shaw (getting Luck, coaching Luck etc...) vs Harbaugh. I'm *very* disappointed that he's not developed a top flight collegiate QB - when he's supposed to be a QB whisperer. As for Kyle, in 3 years, he's got Jimmy *and* BDN. BDN was an undrafted, and I think an even more surprising find than somebody like a 6th round pick from another team. I'm really excited about this Brock Rutter guy, I really hope he blows up the preseason so we can get a draft pick from a possible BeatHard trade.
Originally posted by Giedi:
The Harbaugh - Sherman tiff is an interesting side story. I think now that Harbaugh is gone and Sherman is here, the 49er organization is doing it's best to side with who they got right now. Prior to that, they were publicly siding with Harbaugh, because he was head coach. All in all, I'm still disappointed in Harbaugh's inability to win against the big teams in his College Division. Now I'm inclined to think the offensive wizardry was the result of David Shaw (getting Luck, coaching Luck etc...) vs Harbaugh. I'm *very* disappointed that he's not developed a top flight collegiate QB - when he's supposed to be a QB whisperer. As for Kyle, in 3 years, he's got Jimmy *and* BDN. BDN was an undrafted, and I think an even more surprising find than somebody like a 6th round pick from another team. I'm really excited about this Brock Rutter guy, I really hope he blows up the preseason so we can get a draft pick from a possible BeatHard trade.

Where is woo what you need him. Oh, yes I remember
The biggest joke, or really, ridiculous statement , was that Harbaugh was a QB whisperer. He sure wasn't while here, and he basically depended on his joined at the hip OC, Roman, to do all his O thinking, O coaching and definitely playcalling. Harbs was a superb D guy. O? Gimme a break. And if you want proof, just look at what he did (didn't do) with his O , QB and team while at Michigan. The guy was paid as a whiz bang super coach, knower of all O, D, and QB coaching. Yet without the "Har-ro" component at Michigan, he has been very ordinary. He was brot in as a savior and to say that fell flat ...would be an understatement.

His histrionics while here , the last two yrs were insufferable. Also, they were embarrassing. The sooner he left, the better. Some harbaw fans will be very unhappy with this, but all i can offer is his continuance of mediocrity since he has left the 9ers. He was NOT a QB whisperer, and basically knew little if anything but rudimentary O. And his success at U of M virtually proved what many here thot of him. It isn't fair to compare him to the present as kyle is the best OC this league has seen in yrs...maybe back to the GOAT himself, BW. But harbaw was unimpressive here, and continued that in Michigan.

What he DID do well was take a stacked with talent team , esp on D, and orgainize, it. Made it run. Made it run smoothly. Got us to the SB. At that, Harbs was an ace. But qb whisperer.? That was a definite misnomer. For Harbs fans, this is IMO, only, altho there were plenty of others who felt likewise. So fire away.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 29, 2020 at 11:38 AM ]

Originally posted by English:

Where is woo what you need him. Oh, yes I remember

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
The biggest joke, or really, ridiculous statement , was that Harbaugh was a QB whisperer. He sure wasn't while here, and he basically depended on his joined at the hip OC, Roman, to do all his O thinking, O coaching and definitely playcalling. Harbs was a superb D guy. O? Gimme a break. And if you want proof, just look at what he did (didn't do) with his O , QB and team while at Michigan. The guy was paid as a whiz bang super coach, knower of all O, D, and QB coaching. Yet without the "Har-ro" component at Michigan, he has been very ordinary. He was brot in as a savior and to say that fell flat ...would be an understatement.

His histrionics while here , the last two yrs were insufferable. Also, they were embarrassing. The sooner he left, the better. Some harbaw fans will be very unhappy with this, but all i can offer is his continuance of mediocrity since he has left the 9ers. He was NOT a QB whisperer, and basically knew little if anything but rudimentary O. And his success at U of M virtually proved what many here thot of him. It isn't fair to compare him to the present as kyle is the best OC this league has seen in yrs...maybe back to the GOAT himself, BW. But harbaw was unimpressive here, and continued that in Michigan.

What he DID do well was take a stacked with talent team , esp on D, and orgainize, it. Made it run. Made it run smoothly. Got us to the SB. At that, Harbs was an ace. But qb whisperer.? That was a definite misnomer. For Harbs fans, this is IMO, only, altho there were plenty of others who felt likewise. So fire away.

I think his strength is as a tireless recruiter, and he does have average to good understanding of the X's and O's. But his interpersonal skills are severely lacking. I hope he's putting some energy in that weakness to stay at U of Michigan, if he really wants to stay there -- vs wearing out his welcome wherever he goes because of his lack of people skills.

Michigan's national ranking during the past couple of years is in the very low teens, almost towards being unranked. That's not the way to get to a national playoff bowl series for sure. He's had constant problems with his OLine, his WR's, and his QB's. His OC's have come and gone, and it's a revolving door over there at U of M. I dunno, his program is very unstable and inconsistent. Sad. As you said Doc, its very much like the 49ers during the last couple of years under his tenure.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Yup
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

You NAILED it paso!

He couldn't carry KS's jock.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

P.S. I already think John is a better GM than Baalke, but from a record standpoint, I think Baalke's record -- so far -- is still above Johns.

You have to consider the talent starting point of each GM's regime too. Baalke had a much more stocked cupboard than when ShanaLynch took over.

This x 100000...………..
Share 49erswebzone