LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 175 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Could we actually go QB with one of our first round picks and trade one of our back-ups? This would give KS a QB to groom for the future while also getting us more late round picks.

Let's face it, JG isn't a young QB and we have no one waiting in the wings right now. If one of the top QB's falls to us at #13 or #31 should we simply pass on him?

Lmao, Jimmy is only 28. QBs can play to their mid to late 30's if they survive major injuries. No way in hell we take a qb let's get real

Originally posted by stefano89:
Could we actually go QB with one of our first round picks and trade one of our back-ups? This would give KS a QB to groom for the future while also getting us more late round picks.

Let's face it, JG isn't a young QB and we have no one waiting in the wings right now. If one of the top QB's falls to us at #13 or #31 should we simply pass on him?

your joking right

See the Saints, you need more than just 1 QB.

Also, how did we get JG? Remember the Pats got a 2nd round pick for him?

Think Nick Foles when with the Eagles (SB Champ as a back-up).

You need more than 1 efficient QB, and JG may not be the long term answer.

I'm not sure it's wise to groom a first round draft pick for 7 years or so Expect Jimmy to be around for a very long time yet.
[ Edited by Sickaa on Apr 10, 2020 at 1:37 PM ]

Lmao, Jimmy is only 28. QBs can play to their mid to late 30's if they survive major injuries. No way in hell we take a qb let's get real

your joking right

Quarantine might be getting to you. Brees is on his last legs jimmy is not, foles sucks and caught lighting in a bottle that happens rarely. Why did the jags get rid of him real quick? We're a SB or bust team and there's no damn way we're wasting top picks on a damn qb who won't see the field and help the team out.

your joking right

Quarantine might be getting to you. Brees is on his last legs jimmy is not, foles sucks and caught lighting in a bottle that happens rarely. Why did the jags get rid of him real quick? We're a SB or bust team and there's no damn way we're wasting top picks on a damn qb who won't see the field and help the team out.

we just almost won the super bowl with a young top 10 QB whose signed for years. are in year 2 of a very tight SB window, have major needs at CB,OG,WR an other positions.......an someone wants to use our first pick on a QB. you cant be serious.

Not that I'm the biggest Jimmy G advocate as I grew up watching Joe and can actually remember what a great looks like but it took us 20 years just to get someone as good as Jimmy. People predict a breakout season for him with a 3 year grasp of Shanahans playbook and a fully recovered knee.
[ Edited by T-9ers on Apr 10, 2020 at 3:31 PM ]
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by wisecraft:
Says who? I don't see Ford's knee getting any better. His knee will get worse every year. When the knee is bad it affects the whole leg and all the muscles around the knee. The idea with Clowney, was to sign him to a "Prove it", deal. Trade back to aquire more picks and depth. We are in a unique situation with a 1st round pick in the top half of the draft. Pass rushers are hard to find and so is quality depth. We got to the Super Bowl with depth last year. We need a young pass rusher to pair with a young Bosa. Ford won't be here after this next season. With more teams making the playoffs, the game has changed. So yeah, I "Get it", too

Clowney was looking for 20 mil per year. He's down to what like 16-17 now? We're not paying that s**t to a guy who in nearly 3 times as many snaps as a beat up Dee Ford had less than half as many sacks.

Stop thinking Clowney is still the guy he was as a draft prospect. He's a good player but not worth what he's asking for and certainly not worth it to us.

Ford was dealing with a bunch of other injuries which held him out of games so we don't know what he'll be like next year. We do know how well our D looked when he was playing even at less than 100%.

Sounds like you have solutions for our lack of depth and free agency plucked through. Let's hear em

You wanted to pass on Bosa & you want to move on from Jimmy G...
Damn glad your not making the decisions.
Lol
[ Edited by Jeepzilla on Apr 10, 2020 at 5:28 PM ]

your joking right

I have no idea why everyone in the media and even some of our fans have such a hard-on for getting Jimmy kicked off this team.

He just completed his first full season. Coming off an ACL tear. He had a 100 passer rating, and we had a 10-point lead in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl.

This needs to stop. QB is not a concern for this team.
[ Edited by Fanaticofnfl on Apr 10, 2020 at 5:42 PM ]
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

your joking right

I have no idea why everyone in the media and even some of our fans have such a hard-on for getting Jimmy kicked off this team.

He just completed his first full season. Coming off an ACL tear. He had a 100 passer rating, and we had a 10-point lead in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl.

This needs to stop. QB is not a concern for this team.
A lot of them here weren't here for the Rattay, Dorsey, Pickett, O'Sullivan, Weinke, Troy Smith, Dilfer, Alex before Harbaugh. They don't know when a good qb comes along
Says who? I don't see Ford's knee getting any better. His knee will get worse every year. When the knee is bad it affects the whole leg and all the muscles around the knee. The idea with Clowney, was to sign him to a "Prove it", deal. Trade back to aquire more picks and depth. We are in a unique situation with a 1st round pick in the top half of the draft. Pass rushers are hard to find and so is quality depth. We got to the Super Bowl with depth last year. We need a young pass rusher to pair with a young Bosa. Ford won't be here after this next season. With more teams making the playoffs, the game has changed. So yeah, I "Get it", too

Clowney was looking for 20 mil per year. He's down to what like 16-17 now? We're not paying that s**t to a guy who in nearly 3 times as many snaps as a beat up Dee Ford had less than half as many sacks.

Stop thinking Clowney is still the guy he was as a draft prospect. He's a good player but not worth what he's asking for and certainly not worth it to us.

Ford was dealing with a bunch of other injuries which held him out of games so we don't know what he'll be like next year. We do know how well our D looked when he was playing even at less than 100%.

Sounds like you have solutions for our lack of depth and free agency plucked through. Let's hear em

It's called the draft. Ever hear of it?

I'm pretty certain we have the same DEs as we did last year under contract right now.

Bosa, Ford, Armstead, Blair. Damontre Moore is still available to sign if we want him(I would like to bring him back)

Paying a big name like Clowney isn't it.

How much have you had to drink sir?
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
^^^this is true, but having the world's best WR doesn't help much if JG is getting plastered every time he drops back. That is where the chicken and the egg conundrum is OL first to protect your FR QB. We already have au Jus, Kittle, Deebo, Mostert, Coleman, Brieda, as bona fide good receivers. But we also have Jet coming back, Hurd supposedly ready, and TT coming back. Those last 3 are ???but i assume one will answer the bell, and with luck two will. If all 3 do, we are loaded.

OTOH, not protecting Jimmy is a false sense of economy. Not protecting your main man is rolling the dice. Now having some guys who can block pass pro, is one thing. But having a substitute Center and two OGs that are just flat out bad in pass pro...somehow, that just doesn't make sense. Not good sense, any way.

We took 2 WRs in two early picks last yr, one had a good yr , the other injured. Now we can no longer turn a blind eye to the elephant in the room (and on the OL)...lousy pass pro. That to me says OL at #13, altho if someone wants to move up for that pick to get a great WR, fine, we drop back 1, maybe two slots and still get our OL....and pick up a 2nd pick (in rd 2).

Then at #31 if there is a starter OL there, (even if he needs a yr of coaching up), take him...but if he can be had a couple picks later, move down, get another extra pick, and then nail down our 2nd OL pick, only 1-2 slots later. You want a WR, get him with our extra pick for moving down for OL. Or if john has a good read on an OL in mid rd 2, trade back for him.

But no matter what we have to protect our QB this yr, something we risked last yr. We got lucky, jimmy didn't get injured. We have no business doing that again this yr.

A nightmare draft for me is kyle taking WRs at #13 and #31. If he does that it will be unconscionable. I just hope JL can keep a lid on Kyle's WR demands. After 2. OLs, fire away. Take WRs. But we also need cover corners, 2 of them. Also we need a substitute for Dee Ford for when he can't go which last yr was 3/4 of the plays, 226 snaps for 16 games. And he tried to play in SB, but his hammy just wouldn't let him. So that ER needs to be basically a guy who can be coached up to start.

Honestly, by rights, it seems a better idea for kyle to depend on Hurd, Jet, and TT plus Brieda, Mostert, Wilson, Coleman, au Jus, Kittle, Deebo, and don't forget Dwelley who will be ready to be a starter TE this yr....instead of drafting yet another WR early.. If he wants a WR, take one in rds 5,6, 7. But it is short sighted to take WRs before we get our OLs, CBs, DE. Do those first and THEN do WRs. Please just don't have another pair of WRs taken in early rds.
Here's the problem- you acknowledged IOL as a weakness, but what IOL are worth drafting that high unless you want to take a tackle and move them to guard.

Also, the difference between taking the receiver in the 1st verses one later as you suggested, is that the receivers projected for the first round this year have skillsets where they can start right now. We don't need a 5th, 6th, or 7th round receiver at the moment. It's better for Kyle to have a counter punch to what we already have. It's even better if said counter punch isn't a one trick pony (Ruggs is no one trick pony).

With that said, I do hope a guard is a priority with our pick at 31. Hoping for a trade down (or possibly 2) so we can pick up a guard and 1 or 2 defenders (corner and edge).

Agree completely about the IOL being an OT who we use at OG until Joe hangs 'em up.

As for the shiny WR at #13 , he will be there. But i just can''t see us not getting a starter OT for OG work this yr and next, if one is available. Check that: IF, IF, JL rates him as highly as the consensus does. And we are at a disadvantage here, in that we don't know if JL looks at the several OTs as Mike McG types or Kwame Harris / Chilo Rachael types. Bottom line : that will determine what happens.

If one OT only is highly desired by JL/KS, and he is gone at #12, ok, if no other OT is outstanding and ready to take over RG immediately, then one of the whiz bang kids from Roll Tide is fine by me. Everyone has seen their tapes, both Ala kids and the other from ?? (Drawing a blank). But they all are talented. Still if our HC/GM rates the OT available at #13 as McG caliber, my bet is take him. Again, nobody knows how JL/Kyle rate these OLs.

Based off who they have spoken to, I think they target one on Day 2 with a trade down. That is unless they are totally bluffing us.

You realize, of course, just exactly "how much" kyle and John L have telegraphed us in 3 previous drafts. ZERO. ZERO. These two guys are the most closed mouthed HC/GM in the business, and you "ain't gettin' nuthin'" out of either one. Anything said or unsaid by JL/KS has to be disregarded. I bet they don't tell their own wives. And you know what? I couldn't be happier . The less said the better. Only one way we find out what is on their minds, and it may not be their primary want...and that is only after they have made a pick. If they had desperately wanted a guy who just got picked, we will never know it. That is really the only way a HC/GM can operate if they want to both draft and deal in the draft.

Will we ultimately find out what their real pick was? Nope. Never. Ever. And more power to them for being so unforthcoming. You show me a GM/HC with loose lips and i'll Show you a loser. In a way KK at AZ helped us out a ton, when his quote, if i were a HC and Kyle Murray was available, i'd Take him in a heartbeat. He had already played his hand when a month before draft he sounded like a used car salesman, trying to unload a lemon first pick in the draft. We sat on our hands and ended up with the best player in the draft and we picked 2nd, and gave up nada...NOTHING. Kudos to our guys.

Kliff K's b.s. was almost laughable, because of that one statement going back to when before he was HC at AZ , he was still HC at Tx Tech.

My spoken to comment was about player interviews, not any media comments. I think we are getting an OL guy later. Though it could be a Mike McGlinchey type thing with our 1st pick (who they never spoke to if I'm correct), so your point is taken.

It's called the draft. Ever hear of it?

I'm pretty certain we have the same DEs as we did last year under contract right now.

Bosa, Ford, Armstead, Blair. Damontre Moore is still available to sign if we want him(I would like to bring him back)

Paying a big name like Clowney isn't it.

Come back more prepared and join the chat. Do some homework and come up with a plan. Anybody can say a unthoughtful response like you just spit. Let's see what you think you know. I'm not impressed
Your missing a stud defensive player who played almost 4 solid years at All-Pro level and putting in two guys (Blair and Moore) who've never been established players on the NFL. It's not enough to finish a whole league year on the NFL. have I heard of the Draft? Really? We have 2 picks in the first 4 rounds and lots of needs.
Your missing a stud defensive player who played almost 4 solid years at All-Pro level and putting in two guys (Blair and Moore) who've never been established players on the NFL. It's not enough to finish a whole league year on the NFL. have I heard of the Draft? Really? We have 2 picks in the first 4 rounds and lots of needs.

Lots of needs? I disagree, we need a 3T, and a stud WR, I don't think a IOL or OT are top needs, CB maybe, the rest of our needs are depth, we have our starters already signed, we just need to add depth guys. We can easily add more picks by trading down from 31, gaining an extra 3 or 4.
Share 49ersWebzone