LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
All good points but "taking care of your own" should always be done. NY was talking about also adding additional outside FA's to get better...not get worse from last year esp. while the NFC continues to stack up.

It's a pretty weak free agent class, honestly. Especially at WR and CB, which is the areas of need for SF and also decently strong positions in the draft. Outside of low risk signings this is probably the offseason to not overspend on free agents from other teams. In the long run this probably favors SF by being conservative with their signings.
I'm not expecting any big signings, but can we sign someone that wasn't already on the roster? lol
It's still early, but is anyone worried that the FO is showing that much faith in our 2019 roster that they're not bringing in anyone from the outside?
Originally posted by captveg:
All good points but "taking care of your own" should always be done. NY was talking about also adding additional outside FA's to get better...not get worse from last year esp. while the NFC continues to stack up.

It's a pretty weak free agent class, honestly. Especially at WR and CB, which is the areas of need for SF and also decently strong positions in the draft. Outside of low risk signings this is probably the offseason to not overspend on free agents from other teams. In the long run this probably favors SF by being conservative with their signings.

That first line is said every single year.

But teams certainly get better using FA every year (like we did last year) - this year in the trenches, S and QB.

I agree about WR and CB. That's coming from the draft.

I believe NY was speaking to the trenches and some key role players and key depth.
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Lynch we need some CB depth maybe some DL help...got some cash go do something

He is doing something. He is taking care of his own, he is assuring that players that provided important depth to the team are being brought back on reasonable deals, he is improving his draft capital and he is managing the cap so that the team doesn't have their hands tied when contracts for guys like Kittle need to be addressed. It's a drag losing Buckner but that's how it goes sometimes. Who do you think will be more important to the team's long term success, Buckner or Kittle Go ahead, take your time, I'll wait. They have a lot of players who will be coming back from injury this year that they have more insight into than anyone on this board. Overstreet, Hurd, McKinnon, and the two Taylor's are all guys that they see as being able to contribute in ways that are probably affecting the decisions they're making now, and all of then are still on manageable contracts. New England has practically made a religion out of getting rid of players that were in a position to score big contracts and they seem to have done alright. It will be interesting to see what Lynch and Shanahan have to say when the free agency period is over, They usually hold a press conference to go over all of their moves so hopefully that will be the case again this year.

I understood that was gonna be the game plan. BUT Lynch even stated if you're not getting better you're getting worse...and they're not in the business of getting worse...wellllllllllll

You CAN NOT tell me they've improved. They've been stagnate and lost a blue chip player and their best WR. They've replaced them with no one. That's getting worse and you can't deny that. So far they haven't improved at any position that they needed to improve at either.

It wasn't picking Kittle over Buck...they simply weren't gonna pay Buck $21M per (which is fine)...if you're letting him go they get someone that give us meaningful snaps at DT. They haven't done that last I saw.

As far as Kittle, he can play on a 5th rd rookie pay in 2020 AND then they can tag him if they so choose (which would ne much cheaper than what his contract will be). The cap is going up drastically the next couple seasons. He was never going anywhere regardless of what happened with Buck.

Streets as been in and out of IR since he got drafted. McK has been on IR for two yrs. Taylor/Hurd are unknowns at this pt. One had 5 foot surgeries and the other a broken back (couldn't even get on a plane to go to the Super Bowl). If you're putting your faith into those guys LOL.

I don't care what New England did...they also had the GOAT. We do NOT. They played in the s**tty AFC east and were guaranteed 6 wins a yr. SF plays in one of the hardest divisions in football.

You're either getting better or you're not. Staying status quote and losing two premier player is NOT improving.
All good points but "taking care of your own" should always be done. NY was talking about also adding additional outside FA's to get better (esp. if giving away your own)...not get worse from last year esp. while the NFC continues to stock up.

this.
I have a feeling that Lynch/Shanahan are still looking into OBJ.

31st pick plus a 3rd next year. Who says no?

Niners could then trade back from 13 and re-stock some picks for this years draft.

Just a thought.
[ Edited by Costanza on Mar 18, 2020 at 12:34 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ers81:

He is doing something. He is taking care of his own, he is assuring that players that provided important depth to the team are being brought back on reasonable deals, he is improving his draft capital and he is managing the cap so that the team doesn't have their hands tied when contracts for guys like Kittle need to be addressed. It's a drag losing Buckner but that's how it goes sometimes. Who do you think will be more important to the team's long term success, Buckner or Kittle Go ahead, take your time, I'll wait. They have a lot of players who will be coming back from injury this year that they have more insight into than anyone on this board. Overstreet, Hurd, McKinnon, and the two Taylor's are all guys that they see as being able to contribute in ways that are probably affecting the decisions they're making now, and all of then are still on manageable contracts. New England has practically made a religion out of getting rid of players that were in a position to score big contracts and they seem to have done alright. It will be interesting to see what Lynch and Shanahan have to say when the free agency period is over, They usually hold a press conference to go over all of their moves so hopefully that will be the case again this year.

I understood that was gonna be the game plan. BUT Lynch even stated if you're not getting better you're getting worse...and they're not in the business of getting worse...wellllllllllll

You CAN NOT tell me they've improved. They've been stagnate and lost a blue chip player and their best WR. They've replaced them with no one. That's getting worse and you can't deny that. So far they haven't improved at any position that they needed to improve at either.

It wasn't picking Kittle over Buck...they simply weren't gonna pay Buck $21M per (which is fine)...if you're letting him go they get someone that give us meaningful snaps at DT. They haven't done that last I saw.

As far as Kittle, he can play on a 5th rd rookie pay in 2020 AND then they can tag him if they so choose (which would ne much cheaper than what his contract will be). The cap is going up drastically the next couple seasons. He was never going anywhere regardless of what happened with Buck.

Streets as been in and out of IR since he got drafted. McK has been on IR for two yrs. Taylor/Hurd are unknowns at this pt. One had 5 foot surgeries and the other a broken back (couldn't even get on a plane to go to the Super Bowl). If you're putting your faith into those guys LOL.

I don't care what New England did...they also had the GOAT. We do NOT. They played in the s**tty AFC east and were guaranteed 6 wins a yr. SF plays in one of the hardest divisions in football.

You're either getting better or you're not. Staying status quote and losing two premier player is NOT improving.

Lol can you at least wait till the offseason is over before you judge the team?
All good points but "taking care of your own" should always be done. NY was talking about also adding additional outside FA's to get better (esp. if giving away your own)...not get worse from last year esp. while the NFC continues to stock up.

this.

I liked your rant WAY better TBH.
Originally posted by crusher49er:

FA is basically over. Haha.

But yeah, still got the draft.

Originally posted by mutant-man49:
It's still early, but is anyone worried that the FO is showing that much faith in our 2019 roster that they're not bringing in anyone from the outside?

Not really. Most contenders don't spend a bunch in free agency. Who has KC, GB, Sea, MN, NO, Phi, or Bal signed? Most have been pretty inactive other than Baltimore who made a couple trades.

If Lynch can get a cheap vet like Cam Wake, then go for it, but keeping the majority of our roster intact is smart considering we finished 1st in the NFC while dealing with a ton of injuries.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

As much as I would love a CB or DT, I want Sanders back, hope that happens to be honest, without him, we only have Bourne and Deebo who are reliable.

Yea I want sanders back also.
the revolving door of receivers we have isn't good for jimmys growth.

We want jimmy to get better but that's hard to do when you don't have stability at the OL & receiver position.

...it isn't though? Chris Harris, Clowney, etc still on the board.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

Still lot of value adds can be made. 9ers aren't likely to sign a starter at any position but there is a good likelihood they sign a couple depth pieces.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

The players left truly are out of our price range esp. because we don't have any trade capital. After this final top wave, it's straight to moneyball.
Share 49ersWebzone