Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by walker807:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by Costanza:
Lynch better kill it in the draft because this free agency period has been highly questionable.

Letting Buckner go while paying Armstead and Ward big money is....just not that impressive.

The only thing Lynch killed is beating / surpassing Baalke by a landslide

What would you have offered Buck? Curious what the anti-Lynch crowd has to say.

I am pro-Buckner and disappointed by the anti-Buckner crowd.
I would have offered him whatever it took to keep him. The team was cheap and was 25+ million dollars under the cap for several years. I would have spent that rollover space.
I also wouldn't have drafted Thomas and not had an urge to be right about such a terrible pick.

When did the team not spend the rollover? Guys had to get paid, it was inevitable that the rollover would get used, this is necessary to build a team from garbage to SB in 3 years. Kwon, Ford, Jimmy all got paid. Now AA and Ward got paid, Kittle is basically the only looming concern. I would have loved to keep DeFo, I think the argument could be made that he was the best player on defense. If guys aren't cool taking a team friendly "Paraag" deal then we should expect them to walk. Getting a top 15 pick in the process smoothed the burn a looooot though. Unless you can point out where you called Thomas a bad pick and had a better suggestion from before the draft, can we please stop playing captain hindsight.

I can. Called it redundant at best and suggested getting a qb.
Picking a guy with a ceiling of DeFo light instead of a position of need was dumb.
I commented about it in the Thomas thread...you can check the fist dozen pages.

Chances are we would have gotten Trubisky so maybe not a bad outcome anyways lol. I just tend to get sick of the "I would have drafted Mahomes!" crowd, not that you mentioned Mahomes. Everone already knew Kyle was sporting wood for Cousins and likely wasn't looking for a 2017 draft QB, Jimmy becoming available was just a bonus for us.

Trubiskey was another obvious wrong choice.
Cousins sucks. Mahomes and Watson were the right guys, too bad Kyle couldn't see it.

Regardless, Thomas made no sense, a tradeback would have been better than picking a player who filled no need.

Just to follow up on your comment about Thomas. Yes, so far he's been a disappointment, though really has spent a lot of time playing out of position. However, a couple points. Armstead was also somewhat of a letdown his first couple seasons. More importantly, Thomas was drafted (I believe) with Armstead and Buckner in mind. Lynch/Shanahan knew they couldn't keep them both, so he was drafted as a potential replacement. Optimistically, it plays out with that in mind.
Lynch, Shanahan & Co. doing some work!
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Fasteddy:
Lynch better kill it in the draft because this free agency period has been highly questionable.

Letting Buckner go while paying Armstead and Ward big money is....just not that impressive.

I would have offered him whatever it took to keep him. The team was cheap and was 25+ million dollars under the cap for several years. I would have spent that rollover space.
I also wouldn't have drafted Thomas and not had an urge to be right about such a terrible pick.

When did the team not spend the rollover? Guys had to get paid, it was inevitable that the rollover would get used, this is necessary to build a team from garbage to SB in 3 years. Kwon, Ford, Jimmy all got paid. Now AA and Ward got paid, Kittle is basically the only looming concern. I would have loved to keep DeFo, I think the argument could be made that he was the best player on defense. If guys aren't cool taking a team friendly "Paraag" deal then we should expect them to walk. Getting a top 15 pick in the process smoothed the burn a looooot though. Unless you can point out where you called Thomas a bad pick and had a better suggestion from before the draft, can we please stop playing captain hindsight.

Picking a guy with a ceiling of DeFo light instead of a position of need was dumb.

Chances are we would have gotten Trubisky so maybe not a bad outcome anyways lol. I just tend to get sick of the "I would have drafted Mahomes!" crowd, not that you mentioned Mahomes. Everone already knew Kyle was sporting wood for Cousins and likely wasn't looking for a 2017 draft QB, Jimmy becoming available was just a bonus for us.

Cousins sucks. Mahomes and Watson were the right guys, too bad Kyle couldn't see it.

Regardless, Thomas made no sense, a tradeback would have been better than picking a player who filled no need.

Just to follow up on your comment about Thomas. Yes, so far he's been a disappointment, though really has spent a lot of time playing out of position. However, a couple points. Armstead was also somewhat of a letdown his first couple seasons. More importantly, Thomas was drafted (I believe) with Armstead and Buckner in mind. Lynch/Shanahan knew they couldn't keep them both, so he was drafted as a potential replacement. Optimistically, it plays out with that in mind.

MAKES one wonder tho, didn't the Giants asked for Bucko if we wanted OBJ?

Wouldn't that been a better deal for us??
Armstead over Buckner... yeah, right.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by communist:

That's not what happened tho.

More like :

Armstead + Ward + 13th pick in a great draft over Buckner

Easy choice.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4ML:

More like :

Easy choice.

really depends on how you see Bucko... is he a SUPERSTAR in your opinion??
Originally posted by 9moon:

Giants wanted Buckner and the #2 overall pick for OBJ, which would have meant no Nick Bosa.

They also wanted our first round pick I believe?
Man he has really screwed up this offseason.

Re-signing the two players he should have let walk. Trading the best player on defense. And then keeping an injured RB who won't see the field.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erReign:

Re-signing the two players he should have let walk. Trading the best player on defense. And then keeping an injured RB who won't see the field.

• 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4ML:

More like :

Easy choice.

really depends on how you see Bucko... is he a SUPERSTAR in your opinion??

No, not superstar. But, definitely a star player.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Next up, Emmanuel Sanders?

Originally posted by 9erReign:

This reminds me of last season when people were pissed we signed Jimmie Ward and kept Armstead.

Others already commented on this. But that trade required our 1st as well. Frankly, whatever the situation w OBJ last year, we definitely came out on top of that. Plus, the economics are now definitely skewed in our favor.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

No because then we'd be dealing with trying to fit OBJ's bloated contract into our cap. Not sure why you're struggling to grasp the business side of the football equation here. I suggest you follow AB's salary cap thread and humble yourself a bit.
Share 49ersWebzone