There are 199 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by genus49:
Let me adjust. Say Reid came into the Chiefs when they had the roster of our 2016 team and a 30 year old Donovan McNabb was going to be available in FA the following offseason and they had the most cap space in the NFL.

Would he take Mahomes at #2 then?

McNabb was also widely talked about as a top 5 draft pick and pretty much everyone had him the #2 QB after Couch. Only reason his pick was booed because everyone was infatuated with Ricky Williams.

I know you don't want to discuss where guys were ranked but that is part of the puzzle. Drafting a guy at #2/#3 that most saw as a 2nd round pick weeks before the draft started is a hell of a risk for a first time HC.

The McNabb pick was booed by Philly fans. They wanted Ricky Williams. So I'm guessing if he loved Mahomes he'd take him. It's not like we ended up with Shanny's dream boy Cousins either. Our organization preferred Jimmy and rightfully so he's younger and cheaper. Which is something Reid may consider. Do I get my guy? I can just draft him now. But that's Reid who is comfortable with working with a young mobile qb.

And that's where we agree.

Andy Reid had a less talented version of Mahomes that he already worked with and had great success with.

Kyle Shanahan was in a situation he felt safer waiting it out and going with a guy he knew could run his scheme in Cousins.

Obviously a stretch of a comparison given the player involved but if Andy knew GB was going to let Favre walk in free agency in 2000 would he still take McNabb?

Who knows. But as you said Reid had success with McNabb and knew he could get production out of those type of players. Mahomes was a great move by him.
If the CBA gets done a yr early that's a massive + for SF. Could Infuse more money into the cap this yr. wait and see...

Originally posted by MannySoopa49ersnMD:
Josh Norman gettin cut hy the Skins...might be a cheap useful piece in our scheme.
Originally posted by TheBhagwan:
Josh Norman got released
any chance he pans out like Richard Sherman?

Originally posted by NYniner85:
If the CBA gets done a yr early that's a massive + for SF. Could Infuse more money into the cap this yr. wait and see...


We need it...badly.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
If the CBA gets done a yr early that's a massive + for SF. Could Infuse more money into the cap this yr. wait and see...


We need it...badly.

Fools gold. All that will do is drive up yearly averages for all the guys we already need to resign. You dont gain any advantage if every nfl team sees the same cap jump.
Originally posted by walker807:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
If the CBA gets done a yr early that's a massive + for SF. Could Infuse more money into the cap this yr. wait and see...


We need it...badly.

Fools gold. All that will do is drive up yearly averages for all the guys we already need to resign. You dont gain any advantage if every nfl team sees the same cap jump.

Same concept with the annual cap increase of roughly $10M.
  • Kolohe
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 47,794
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by genus49:
Let me adjust. Say Reid came into the Chiefs when they had the roster of our 2016 team and a 30 year old Donovan McNabb was going to be available in FA the following offseason and they had the most cap space in the NFL.

Would he take Mahomes at #2 then?

McNabb was also widely talked about as a top 5 draft pick and pretty much everyone had him the #2 QB after Couch. Only reason his pick was booed because everyone was infatuated with Ricky Williams.

I know you don't want to discuss where guys were ranked but that is part of the puzzle. Drafting a guy at #2/#3 that most saw as a 2nd round pick weeks before the draft started is a hell of a risk for a first time HC.

The McNabb pick was booed by Philly fans. They wanted Ricky Williams. So I'm guessing if he loved Mahomes he'd take him. It's not like we ended up with Shanny's dream boy Cousins either. Our organization preferred Jimmy and rightfully so he's younger and cheaper. Which is something Reid may consider. Do I get my guy? I can just draft him now. But that's Reid who is comfortable with working with a young mobile qb.

Shanahan preferred Cousins over Jimmy G.how is that not clearer? The organization is gonna buy into whoever Shanahan's choice of QB was. Plain and simple, Cousins wasn't available at the time and Jimmy G. was and he worked out to the point where Shanahan could forget about trading for Cousins or signing him in free agency.
Originally posted by NCommand:
We need it...badly.

I thought the cap was a myth?
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by NCommand:
We need it...badly.

I thought the cap was a myth?

Haha. Touche. It is. Paraag just has to get creative.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by walker807:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
If the CBA gets done a yr early that's a massive + for SF. Could Infuse more money into the cap this yr. wait and see...


We need it...badly.

Fools gold. All that will do is drive up yearly averages for all the guys we already need to resign. You dont gain any advantage if every nfl team sees the same cap jump.

Same concept with the annual cap increase of roughly $10M.

Yup, increases the players APY salary but doesn't give any single team an unfair advantage. What Paraag is doing to take as much advantage as possible is having guys sign frontloaded deals. That's where we see any advantage with the rising salary cap.

Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by NCommand:
We need it...badly.

I thought the cap was a myth?

Haha. Touche. It is. Paraag just has to get creative.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by NCommand:
We need it...badly.

I thought the cap was a myth?

Btw the thing with AA and FT vs LTD and cap hit for this year...I believe it is because of how they can structure a LTD to minimize the hit whereas a FT would be a full cap hit this year
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by genus49:
Let me adjust. Say Reid came into the Chiefs when they had the roster of our 2016 team and a 30 year old Donovan McNabb was going to be available in FA the following offseason and they had the most cap space in the NFL.

Would he take Mahomes at #2 then?

McNabb was also widely talked about as a top 5 draft pick and pretty much everyone had him the #2 QB after Couch. Only reason his pick was booed because everyone was infatuated with Ricky Williams.

I know you don't want to discuss where guys were ranked but that is part of the puzzle. Drafting a guy at #2/#3 that most saw as a 2nd round pick weeks before the draft started is a hell of a risk for a first time HC.

The McNabb pick was booed by Philly fans. They wanted Ricky Williams. So I'm guessing if he loved Mahomes he'd take him. It's not like we ended up with Shanny's dream boy Cousins either. Our organization preferred Jimmy and rightfully so he's younger and cheaper. Which is something Reid may consider. Do I get my guy? I can just draft him now. But that's Reid who is comfortable with working with a young mobile qb.

Shanahan preferred Cousins over Jimmy G.how is that not clearer? The organization is gonna buy into whoever Shanahan's choice of QB was. Plain and simple, Cousins wasn't available at the time and Jimmy G. was and he worked out to the point where Shanahan could forget about trading for Cousins or signing him in free agency.




damm..
[ Edited by TheBhagwan on Feb 15, 2020 at 9:07 AM ]
  • Kolohe
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 47,794
Ok not sure how that is relevant to my post.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Ok not sure how that is relevant to my post.

49ers have this thing for missing on MVP 1st round QBs
Share 49erswebzone