There are 212 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by Costanza:
Lynch better kill it in the draft because this free agency period has been highly questionable.

Letting Buckner go while paying Armstead and Ward big money is....just not that impressive.

The only thing Lynch killed is beating / surpassing Baalke by a landslide

What would you have offered Buck? Curious what the anti-Lynch crowd has to say.

I am pro-Buckner and disappointed by the anti-Buckner crowd.
I would have offered him whatever it took to keep him. The team was cheap and was 25+ million dollars under the cap for several years. I would have spent that rollover space.
I also wouldn't have drafted Thomas and not had an urge to be right about such a terrible pick.

What rollover space? We only had $2.95M rollover INCLUDED in the $11M we started the day with before any moves.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Good job not answering his question

Who truly can? I'm not behind the scenes...can anyone in here honestly answer this question with a correct answer w/out speculating...we don't know exactly what could of been done. Paraag (as we all know) is one of the best at what he does...you guys are saying it couldn't have been done?

Are you that fly on the wall, a mr know it all

The contract details are out there though. One is a classic Paraag contract, the other is far from it. On the surface it would appear that DeFo wanted market value, and got that with over 40 million against the cap in the first two years. Armstead counts for less than half that in the first two years. Saying its 17mil/year vs 21mil/year is far from the real truth, the real difference is much wider.
Originally posted by walker807:
The contract details are out there though. One is a classic Paraag contract, the other is far from it. On the surface it would appear that DeFo wanted market value, and got that with over 40 million against the cap in the first two years. Armstead counts for less than half that in the first two years. Saying its 17mil/year vs 21mil/year is far from the real truth, the real difference is much wider.

This. My guess is Defo wanted the Colts type contact and obviously AA was good with what he got. Colts had the space to make that happen 49ers didn't. They valued AA on his contract + 13th overall vs Defo on this contract
From AB.

The 49ers have $21,008,501M [3/17/2020] in cap space for 2020 [21st]. This includes $7,861,082M rollover and $1,305,669 in adjustments on a confirmed, $198.2M team cap for 2020
Originally posted by goatroppolo:

This. My guess is Defo wanted the Colts type contact and obviously AA was good with what he got. Colts had the space to make that happen 49ers didn't. They valued AA on his contract + 13th overall vs Defo on this contract

Can't say I blame the guy. Would of been practically impossible to get over 40 million in the first two years here, he's gonna take home around 15 million more I'm guessing with the colts deal short term. I'm guessing he's making an additional 5 million or so overall due to difference in state taxes too.
Originally posted by NCommand:
From AB.

The 49ers have $21,008,501M [3/17/2020] in cap space for 2020 [21st]. This includes $7,861,082M rollover and $1,305,669 in adjustments on a confirmed, $198.2M team cap for 2020

I think they can add a few million more by dumping/restructuring Goodwin and Jet too.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Armstead/Ward/13th overall >>>>> Buckner

I think this is the money post, right here. The 13th overall will be our pick for premier CB or #1WR or OG/C who can play both and is best in the draft. That and what Buck ended up with in $$ pretty well explains the trade, which initially, was hard to fathom. The $$ he got could have been the deciding issue. We were strapped, and had 31st pick with nothing else until #151. An awful lot of talent in that range, so now JL can wheel and deal. Or if we keep #31 and trade #13 (which I doubt) then there could be several 2nd rd picks, plus a 3rd (and maybe a 4th.)

We'll never know because of Dee's health, Bucks $$ elsewhere, Ward's health, and no picks between #31 and #151. Value-wise it looks like we came out ok, but dealing Buck? That one will just take time to come to grips with.
From AB.

I think they can add a few million more by dumping/restructuring Goodwin and Jet too.

Without a doubt. McKinnon is a given for sure. No doubt they are trying to trade Goodwin.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
I think that we can all agree after this move that Shanahan and Lynch are ballsy.
To move a guy like Buck, just holy s**t.
Originally posted by pdc20:
I think that we can all agree after this move that Shanahan and Lynch are ballsy.

It also lets the players know that anyone can be moved if it benefits the team. DeFo taking it in stride also helps.

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by pdc20:

It also lets the players know that anyone can be moved if it benefits the team. DeFo taking it in stride also helps.

If you're gonna play big dick you gotta have balls.
Lynch better kill it in the draft because this free agency period has been highly questionable.

Letting Buckner go while paying Armstead and Ward big money is....just not that impressive.

I would have offered him whatever it took to keep him. The team was cheap and was 25+ million dollars under the cap for several years. I would have spent that rollover space.
I also wouldn't have drafted Thomas and not had an urge to be right about such a terrible pick.

When did the team not spend the rollover? Guys had to get paid, it was inevitable that the rollover would get used, this is necessary to build a team from garbage to SB in 3 years. Kwon, Ford, Jimmy all got paid. Now AA and Ward got paid, Kittle is basically the only looming concern. I would have loved to keep DeFo, I think the argument could be made that he was the best player on defense. If guys aren't cool taking a team friendly "Paraag" deal then we should expect them to walk. Getting a top 15 pick in the process smoothed the burn a looooot though. Unless you can point out where you called Thomas a bad pick and had a better suggestion from before the draft, can we please stop playing captain hindsight.

I can. Called it redundant at best and suggested getting a qb.
Picking a guy with a ceiling of DeFo light instead of a position of need was dumb.
I commented about it in the Thomas thread...you can check the fist dozen pages.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
This elite FO is going to flip Dee Ford for a 3rd in 2021 and get Joey Bosa.

What rollover space? We only had $2.95M rollover INCLUDED in the $11M we started the day with before any moves.

Jed must have pocketed a lot during the years we were $50 million under.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Armstead/Ward/13th overall >>>>> Buckner

I think this is the money post, right here. The 13th overall will be our pick for premier CB or #1WR or OG/C who can play both and is best in the draft. That and what Buck ended up with in $$ pretty well explains the trade, which initially, was hard to fathom. The $$ he got could have been the deciding issue. We were strapped, and had 31st pick with nothing else until #151. An awful lot of talent in that range, so now JL can wheel and deal. Or if we keep #31 and trade #13 (which I doubt) then there could be several 2nd rd picks, plus a 3rd (and maybe a 4th.)

We'll never know because of Dee's health, Bucks $$ elsewhere, Ward's health, and no picks between #31 and #151. Value-wise it looks like we came out ok, but dealing Buck? That one will just take time to come to grips with.

This is exactly how I feel, just didn't want to type it all out. Lol
Share 49ersWebzone