LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by bdiddy1724:
I don't think you can get a comp pick for a guy over 30. Also the comp picks aren't until the year after you lose the player so would be 2021 draft.

Ah yes you can, Philly got a 4th for Tate last yr.

They did not. That is not how the system works. It only takes into consideration your net losses. Doing 1:1 player comparisons is a pointless exercise.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by bdiddy1724:
I don't think you can get a comp pick for a guy over 30. Also the comp picks aren't until the year after you lose the player so would be 2021 draft.

You can - but the league awards comp picks based on the totality of your FA net losses. Not for simply losing a guy

Arik Armstead + Emmanuel Sanders will net us something.

I'm sure it would no doubt. But I have a hard time believing the Niners would simply let AA walk totally free. They could easily franchise and trade him for an immediate 2020 pick.
They did not. That is not how the system works. It only takes into consideration your net losses. Doing 1:1 player comparisons is a pointless exercise.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-2020-compensatory-draft-pick-tracker/

He was actually a 5th because he was suspended, originally it was a 4th.

It's not pointless because we're not expected to sign any FA with the cap situation we currently have.
Ah yes you can, Philly got a 4th for Tate last yr.

Ok. Yea I heard that 30 thing on the radio today. Thought it seemed strange
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
Why trade a solid backup we may need at some point and he should only get better????

I agree, cause Mullens is gonna come up huge when we rest Jimmy in week 17. LMAO Mullens could beat the Seahawks with this defense any day of the week.

Hahahah I agree. But exactly. What if JG gets hurt down the stretch or in a playoff game. Mullen's is good enough with this defense and run game to still win.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Updated Draft Picks for 2020 for the 49ers

Own 1st Round
Own 5th Round
DEN 5th Round
Own 6th Round
Own 7th Round
DET 7th Round

So 6 picks, not much, but we will do trading, plus we already have a deep and talented roster, so I doubt many rookies will make the 2020 roster, especially if we go deep in the playoffs.

Call me crazy, but 6 wins is a huge success right now, I said 9-7 or 10-6, now I think we're a 12-14 win team, hopefully #1 seed in the NFC.

Move down in the 1st then take those lower round pick to move up for players they want...I'm cool if they come away with 4 players

This. I just want all the rookies to make the roster. Do whatever maneuvering is necessary.
So 2020 comp picks will be awarded by what teams loss/gained from the previous year's free agency correct?

So in our case we only lost in free agency C. Marsh and B. Pinion. We added T. Coleman, K. Alexander, and L. Toilolo.

Doesn't look like we will be getting a comp in 2020.
Originally posted by miked1978:
So 2020 comp picks will be awarded by what teams loss/gained from the previous year's free agency correct?

So in our case we only lost in free agency C. Marsh and B. Pinion. We added T. Coleman, K. Alexander, and L. Toilolo.

You are correct the 9ers will not be getting any in 2020
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Arik Armstead + Emmanuel Sanders will net us something.

Extend AA, trade buckner -in the off-season, for a couple of 2nd round picks.

DJ/Solly/Taylor together = Buckner, but you cant replace AA in this defense.

People will soon see the light.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

That is correct.

That is correct.

FYI, any signings made 5/8/2019 or later do not count towards the compensatory formula. We cut several players, so they don't count towards it. By the chart, we only lost 2 players, and gained 4. So yeah, no comp picks in 2020. But Seattle and New England will get a crapton. Probably explains why both were fine giving up some picks for players this year.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

That is correct.

FYI, any signings made 5/8/2019 or later do not count towards the compensatory formula. We cut several players, so they don't count towards it. By the chart, we only lost 2 players, and gained 4. So yeah, no comp picks in 2020. But Seattle and New England will get a crapton. Probably explains why both were fine giving up some picks for players this year.

Yeah, you're right. Thank you for that!

In regard to 2021: It's far more complicated than "well, we lost X player so we will get Y draft pick".

That said, I don't suspect Sanders will have a massive impact on our net loss calculation. He's not getting big money at 33 this offseason. He turns 33 right as FA opens up.

If anything -- I think it's more likely he comes back on a 1 year deal.
[ Edited by okdkid on Oct 23, 2019 at 8:48 AM ]
Understanding the impact of a free agent signing or the release of a player and how it affects the team going forward is really important. Guys like Paraag are worth more than they probably are paid because of they way they control a teams destiny.

That is correct.

In regard to 2021: It's far more complicated than "well, we lost X player so we will get Y draft pick".

That said, I don't suspect Sanders will have a massive impact on our net loss calculation. He's not getting big money at 33 this offseason. He turns 33 right as FA opens up.

If healthy and producing, I'd be all for that. Most assuredly, I could see us taking a high profile WR in the draft if we see one there too.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

That is correct.

If healthy and producing, I'd be all for that. Most assuredly, I could see us taking a high profile WR in the draft if we see one there too.

Yes, agreed. Too many legit WR1 prospects coming out this year to not give it serious thought at #32.

Keeping Sanders on a 1-2 year deal AND taking a WR1 prospect early simply pushes everybody on the roster down two pegs... which, honestly, is needed. Two of Taylor, Bourne, James and maybe one other will have to go.
Share 49ersWebzone