LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 231 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'll add it's not like these scouts (mostly Baalke dudes) have some great track record either
Let Peters and Lynch clean house on that side if it's true.
Didn't a bunch of scouts get released after the draft or am I thinking something else?

Either way it's easy to say coaches not listening to the right people when you can point to guys like Foster and Sully hasn't had a quick rise in play but let's forget the other guys...

Did the scouts say who they would've picked? I'm sure it would've been Mahomes, JuJu Smith Schuster, Alvin Kamara, Eddie Jackson and still gotten George Kittle in 2017...
Remember how s**t would always leak out of hq? Interesting that they kept s**t from the scouts, and now they go to the media to talk s**t....
I have been questioning the quality of our scouting department for years. Either Baalke ignored the people he hired or they gave him some horrible advice during his time here. I don't doubt the new FO has concerns as well. I have not been impressed with our draft process in a very long time.
name me a team that hits on every draft pick every year let alone their first rounders? this is bs sour grapes from scouts who got canned
Didn't the Raiders sent all their scouts home before the draft...

Now I think I know why lol

Pretty sure the words 'Shut day f**k up!' had been used many times on scouts. They sound like the drafniks on the Zone when their guys aren't picked by the team.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jul 25, 2019 at 7:38 AM ]
As I recall even immediately following the Joe Williams pick there were some of us talking about the disaster of the decision making behind that, and that it was obviously going to piss off the scouts, as it should.

It's a total slap in the face to spend a year evaluating guys, ranking them, and rising them up and moving them off your boards and then to have someone come in the morning of and treat that year of work as if it was worthless.

I'd certainly be looking for a new job in that situation.

We only know about that because of Peter King's gigantic team profile around that draft, but if similar things have happened for other players, that would not surprise me AT ALL.
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Jul 25, 2019 at 7:51 AM ]
Prolly the same scouts that talked Baalke in to putting A.J Jenkins name in the envelope the night before draft...lol.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Prolly the same scouts that talked Baalke in to putting A.J Jenkins name in the envelope the night before draft...lol.

Exactly!

Originally posted by John_Candy:
Originally posted by Heroism:
The scouts are reportedly not happy with John and Kyle lol. I believe the overwhelming majority of the scouts working with the 49ers are Baalke's guys.

Butthurt former employee, but I have to believe that some in the organization were shocked that we took Joe Williams. We probably could've got Joe as an UDFA.

Just more butthurt staff at Lynch since he was plucked out of the media room vs. climbing the corporate ladder like everyone else (and has started a trend for this). I'd be pissed too honestly but there really is no direct line to GM. It's such a unique skill and "an eye for talent" is not only a very rare skill but only a tiny portion of the actual job these days.
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:
As I recall even immediately following the Joe Williams pick there were some of us talking about the disaster of the decision making behind that, and that it was obviously going to piss off the scouts, as it should.

It's a total slap in the face to spend a year evaluating guys, ranking them, and rising them up and moving them off your boards and then to have someone come in the morning of and treat that year of work as if it was worthless.

We only know about that because of Peter King's gigantic team profile around that draft, but if similar things have happened for other players, that would not surprise me AT ALL.

They are getting paid to do so. They can try to sell/pitch their guys as best they can. But on draft day, they shouldn't take it personally if the decision makers go somewhere else.

Sounds like a bad employee who sees himself too good to be only as a scout, but a future GM.

They are like analysts. They analyzed the prospect, they can recommend, but they don't get to pick. That's above their paid grade.

In some ways a scout would make a bad GM too. Because after months evaluating a player, there's a good chance they fall in love with that prospect. Must have hem!
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jul 25, 2019 at 8:14 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I think that's still TBD. I gotta see what happens this year first. Last year, every draft pick made the team and contributed some positive things in their playing time. In 2017, while we had some misses, we also landed a record-setting TE, a now starting nose tackle (Jones), starting slot receiver (Taylor), and a potential starter at S in the late rounds (Colbert). Jury is still out on Solomon and Witherspoon, and even Beathard to an extent.

We'll get a better idea this year of how good or bad those 2017 picks really were.

No no no, that's not how it works...if they're not day one studs it's a bust

#Instantgratification

I'll just add that getting an undrafted QB to perform like a round 3 pick is pretty impressive from a scouting point of view. How many undrafted players actually make a team and actually play and contribute to a win? Making the team - 2%? playing in an nfl game 10% of the 2%?? I mean the odds are pretty low any undrafted player, let alone a QB, does something on an NFL team.

Same with the WR's. I think Bourne was also undrafted.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

They are getting paid to do so. They can try to sell/pitch their guys as best they can. But on draft day, they shouldn't take it personally if the decision makers go somewhere else.

Sounds like a bad employee who sees himself too good to be only as a scout, but a future GM.

For sure. Scouts deal with what you're describing routinely and it's part of the job.

What they don't deal with routinely is guys who have been removed from the board they've spent a year making showing back up and getting picked in the fourth round because someone got all hot and bothered the morning of.

What you're talking about is some scouts not thinking Thomas was worth a top 5 pick and the 9ers taking him Top 5. That's normal, and not a big deal.

What I'm talking about is not normal, and as a few of us have been suggesting for a couple years, in the long run could end up being a big deal.

What this article suggests is that what happened with Williams (at least from the perspective of one former employee) wasn't a one time thing.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:

That's what I'm saying! Not like these dudes have some proven track record at all
Share 49ersWebzone