There are 85 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Originally posted by Big_Daddy:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I still have trouble understanding why JL isn't given more credit for turning over 43 of 45 players he inherited just 2 yrs ago. The fact he has done this well just amazes me. It wasn't like he had to build up a squad, He kept TWO Guys...DeFo and Joe S. Ok, Arik too. But basically ,including FR QB PLUS a real gem a backup, i fail to see why he isn't given more credit.

Yes, i was a fan the moment he was announced. But i think it fair to say that a guy who put this much talent on a team in just 2 yrs + one FA and draft....is just remarkable. Name me another GM in recent memory who has performed that well. I mean he inherited the worst talent of any team out there. Now look...real-talent PLUS depth at QB, RB, WR, TE, DT...we still lack starters and depth at OL and DB. But overall, he gets a strong A from me with what he has accomplished in just over 24 months.

If you don't appreciate that ,, maybe you like egg in your beer with foam in the middle....aka, known as "hard to please". Just acknnowldege what he has done to date. Sure he has made his mistakes, Reuben being example #1. But he learned his lesson. Rate him on his merits. Granted , a bunch of this will have to include this FA and draft. But from here...it looks way better than i ever could have hoped for after turning over 43/45 of a team....in 27 months.

Remaking a bad roster is not an accomplishment. It's his damn job. You are what your record says you are. We aren't good enough to go 8-8 after 3 years. Is that an accomplishment? I'd argue that shanahan and jimmy g make up for a lot of organizational deficiencies. Other teams seem to do more with less.

I get the you are what your record says what you are, but you can't run all the way with that idea. The 49ers were champions in 81 and 3-6 in 82 WITH Joe Montana. Does that mean suddenly Walsh was a terrible coach (losing records in 3 of his first 4 seasons)? To talk about this team like they are just some awful 4-12 team WITHOUT acknowledging the loss of their number 1 QB is taking a surface level view of the team. We know the effect the loss of a top QB can have on a team. Even if everyone thing else had been done right (nailing the ST and Foster picks) or getting a better O-line, odds are we still would've been a losing team the moment Jimmy G went down. Now Jimmy is 6-2 as a starter with this team and the roster was far weaker in those 8 starts than it is now. The top edge rushers for Jimmy in those 8 games were Solomon Thomas, Cassius Marsh, and AA. Jimmy's top edge rushers now will be Nick Bosa, Dee Ford, and probably one of these 3 (ST, AA, or Ronald Blair). His top running back for the majority of those games was Carlos Hyde. Now we have Tevin Coleman, a proven Matt Breida, or Jerrick McKinnon. His top TE now? A 1300+ yard George Kittle.

What teams are doing so abundantly well without their top QB? The Nick Foles thing in Philly is not the norm.

I'm not saying that means we will be a 12 or 13 win team, but to proclaim we aren't good enough to go 8-8? What are you basing this on?
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I still have trouble understanding why JL isn't given more credit for turning over 43 of 45 players he inherited just 2 yrs ago. The fact he has done this well just amazes me. It wasn't like he had to build up a squad, He kept TWO Guys...DeFo and Joe S. Ok, Arik too. But basically ,including FR QB PLUS a real gem a backup, i fail to see why he isn't given more credit.

Yes, i was a fan the moment he was announced. But i think it fair to say that a guy who put this much talent on a team in just 2 yrs + one FA and draft....is just remarkable. Name me another GM in recent memory who has performed that well. I mean he inherited the worst talent of any team out there. Now look...real-talent PLUS depth at QB, RB, WR, TE, DT...we still lack starters and depth at OL and DB. But overall, he gets a strong A from me with what he has accomplished in just over 24 months.

If you don't appreciate that ,, maybe you like egg in your beer with foam in the middle....aka, known as "hard to please". Just acknnowldege what he has done to date. Sure he has made his mistakes, Reuben being example #1. But he learned his lesson. Rate him on his merits. Granted , a bunch of this will have to include this FA and draft. But from here...it looks way better than i ever could have hoped for after turning over 43/45 of a team....in 27 months.

Remaking a bad roster is not an accomplishment. It's his damn job. You are what your record says you are. We aren't good enough to go 8-8 after 3 years. Is that an accomplishment? I'd argue that shanahan and jimmy g make up for a lot of organizational deficiencies. Other teams seem to do more with less.

I get the you are what your record says what you are, but you can't run all the way with that idea. The 49ers were champions in 81 and 3-6 in 82 WITH Joe Montana. Does that mean suddenly Walsh was a terrible coach (losing records in 3 of his first 4 seasons)? To talk about this team like they are just some awful 4-12 team WITHOUT acknowledging the loss of their number 1 QB is taking a surface level view of the team. We know the effect the loss of a top QB can have on a team. Even if everyone thing else had been done right (nailing the ST and Foster picks) or getting a better O-line, odds are we still would've been a losing team the moment Jimmy G went down. Now Jimmy is 6-2 as a starter with this team and the roster was far weaker in those 8 starts than it is now. The top edge rushers for Jimmy in those 8 games were Solomon Thomas, Cassius Marsh, and AA. Jimmy's top edge rushers now will be Nick Bosa, Dee Ford, and probably one of these 3 (ST, AA, or Ronald Blair). His top running back for the majority of those games was Carlos Hyde. Now we have Tevin Coleman, a proven Matt Breida, or Jerrick McKinnon. His top TE now? A 1300+ yard George Kittle.

What teams are doing so abundantly well without their top QB? The Nick Foles thing in Philly is not the norm.

I'm not saying that means we will be a 12 or 13 win team, but to proclaim we aren't good enough to go 8-8? What are you basing this on?

we have what it takes to win nfc west.

'82 was a throwaway year. Strike with replacement players for 3 games and then a shortened season, some teams had their best players defy the union and play, some had the opposite, most were in between, and many had their best players stay out for a game or two then return. Resentments lingered in locker rooms for the rest of the season, much worse on some teams than others. I don't think anyone really takes that season seriously in retrospect.

Sure, any fool can go out and change out 43 players out of the 45 . And that is the GMs job. But prior to 3rd season, having 4 ELITES on the team, and a very nice mixture of 2nd tier players...that takes supreme football knowledge, daring, skill, a strong stomach, and an iron will. It also necessitates acknowledging when you screw up, and have the brass to fix it....ie get rid of your mistake. GM Lynch rates pretty darn well with those as parameters.

Nobody is going to question Buck (from Harbaw), Kittle, JimmyG (in limited appearance,(8), Dee Ford, and NickyB.

Then, right under elite you have McG, Joe S, Brieda, Warner, Kwon, Sherm, Pettis. Au Jus, Solomon (now that he plays only iniside)...plus DJ Jones, Blair, Day(all interior DTs). Guys who are still ?? Due to injury include Marquise, TT, Richburg, Jet, Two others belong in this list , Deebo, and Hurd, but haven't played yet. Throw in Gould, and Wish as STers.

Controversial, and not starters, but certainly 2nd tier guys are Person and Laken...who by yrs end had improved into 2nd tier.

Roughly that comes out 4 ELITEs, 12 just under elite, 3 who belong in that group but ahve been injured, plus 2 new starters, Hurd and Deebo...and i bet my left nut those two guys end up right under elite THIS YR. Add in our 2 OGs on the up arrow plus 2 stud WRs, and you basically have yourself a starting squad, both O and D.

Sure DB is all ????? And OG we need starters. But with Person and Laken now with a full yr playing together with remainder of OL, and for 27 months of work, that is way past where I thot we would be. Add in plenty of depth at QB, RB, WR, TEs, DL, LB and you find we have everything well on the way at all but OL and DBs. At OL and OG we have depth...but no starters, altho some would say both Laken and Person are starters since they started there all last yr.

So Lynch didn't just swap out 43 guys. In record time he has assembled a team from amongst some horrible injury lists, and has aquired plenty of talent.

Is that 8 Ws? I dunno, but i bet we win more than we lose this yr . 9, 10 maybe. As always , for us , health is paramount. If guys show up healthy, then more than 8 Ws is a good bet. Our whole season boils down to one thing. INJURIES. Right now we are the most injured team over the last 5 yrs and have 4 x the injuries that the rams have. FOUR TIMES!. Get that cleaned up and we go deep in playoffs.

From my standpoint, Lynch has done his job. We got talent, several of which are a FR QB and an excellent #2 plus an Elite DE. ..way more talent than ever imagined in just 2yrs and 3 mos. Now we just have to get ...and stay...healthy.

So whereas "any fool" could have swapped out 43 guys from our squad prior to season 3 start, it takes a studly GM to assemble the talent that JL has. For me, that deserves credit...and a lot of it.
Originally posted by RTFirefly:

'82 was a throwaway year. Strike with replacement players for 3 games and then a shortened season, some teams had their best players defy the union and play, some had the opposite, most were in between, and many had their best players stay out for a game or two then return. Resentments lingered in locker rooms for the rest of the season, much worse on some teams than others. I don't think anyone really takes that season seriously in retrospect.

What you are providing is context, something that is lacking from much of the analysis about the 2018 season. We have posters here who have actually stated the Kyle picked Brian Hoyer as the QB of the future. The same logic that would have anyone believing that would blind them to any facts or situations you are presenting about the 82 season. All some people see are wins or losses. Yes it is about wins and losses, but if you solely look at it from that perspective and nothing else, you won't have a clear picture of the team.
What you are providing is context, something that is lacking from much of the analysis about the 2018 season. We have posters here who have actually stated the Kyle picked Brian Hoyer as the QB of the future. The same logic that would have anyone believing that would blind them to any facts or situations you are presenting about the 82 season. All some people see are wins or losses. Yes it is about wins and losses, but if you solely look at it from that perspective and nothing else, you won't have a clear picture of the team.

Indeed. I agree with you completely.

I have to amend my post, though. Owners contributed mightily to the big mess that was the '82 season. Some owners wouldn't allow players back while the strike was on, and others welcomed them in with open arms. Needless to say, the latter teams finished with far better records than the former. Not only did they pick up wins during the strike because they used real players, but the cohesion of the offenses and defenses carried over.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Oh, and Lynch and Shanahan have spent more in 3 offseasons than Baalke did in 6.

Agree. Harbaugh fired, FartSula fired, ChimpKelly fired- that's 3 years of wasted talent acquisitions. All that time, Baalke was GM, who did the infamous 2012 AJ Jenkins draft.😖☹🤦‍♂️
Curious to know just how long it takes to recover from 3 straight yrs of blown drafts and FAs...so far, we know it took longer than 2 yrs, for sure. Question is now, is 3 yrs enough?? JL/KS now have their 3rd FA and draft under their belts( altho FA and UDFA may not quite be over yet and there still could be a trade or two)...so now we see if with two dialed in football guys, both young and aggressive.... was 3 yrs enough to make up for 3 blown yrs?

The talent is there. Maybe not championship talent yet, but it's there. Now the question is ...HEALTH.

Who wins the SB most every yr? Usually the good teams who were a) well coached, and b) who stayed HEALTHY. Which means, we need some luck...good luck, for first time in 5 yrs re: health. Let's hope the hockey trainers have a successful yr.
Strengths and weaknesses:

John Lynch is beyond NFL GMs and Head Coaches as they are beyond pop Warner coaches.

I mean, Lynch has it down. Why acquire players who have never been injured. It's only downhill for them. We want upside!!!

Curious to know just how long it takes to recover from 3 straight yrs of blown drafts and FAs...so far, we know it took longer than 2 yrs, for sure. Question is now, is 3 yrs enough?? JL/KS now have their 3rd FA and draft under their belts( altho FA and UDFA may not quite be over yet and there still could be a trade or two)...so now we see if with two dialed in football guys, both young and aggressive.... was 3 yrs enough to make up for 3 blown yrs?

The talent is there. Maybe not championship talent yet, but it's there. Now the question is ...HEALTH.

Who wins the SB most every yr? Usually the good teams who were a) well coached, and b) who stayed HEALTHY. Which means, we need some luck...good luck, for first time in 5 yrs re: health. Let's hope the hockey trainers have a successful yr.

Not sure how long it should take, but Shanny, Paraag/Lynch deserves more time, I think 4 may be 5 years?
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

I think this year they have a good shot at the playoffs, and next year, if they keep building on the talent they have -- next year should be a good year and I think a good possibility for going deep into the playoffs. We shall see.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GarnerValleyFan:
Not sure how long it should take, but Shanny, Paraag/Lynch deserves more time, I think 4 may be 5 years?

What is BB without TB?

Dynasty and Flash are separated by a player
INJURIES..............................................

Originally posted by GarnerValleyFan:

4 or 5 years to make the playoffs?
Share 49erswebzone